My Mom Won't Support Me and Is Being Very Negative!

fradcliff
on 9/9/11 2:44 am
DS on 01/25/11 with
Hi Deanna,
   My Mom was not very supportive at all either she had the same concerns every mother does "Mortality Rate" but I was on the equivalent of 700 units of insulin a day and my blood sugar was still in the lower 200's and greater. This meant that my mortality was coming anyhow!! I knew I needed to do something drastic. My choice was DS after about two years of research and when people would question me I was able to answer pretty much any question or concern they had and I would even reply " You study this for two years and then you can give me your opinion" . I am now 8 months post op and my mom is my biggest supporter and brags to everyone how well I'm doing now. I pray that you will have the same success with both your surgery and your mother.
   As far as Doctors are concerned I am curious to what a "Vetted Surgeon" is? I see your surgeon has 11 years in Bariatric Surgery or (BS) and has performed over 800 surgery's, I do see that he has ZERO listed for DS but every "Vetted Surgeon" listed here has at one time did his first one on somebody. It is your choice if you want to be his first. My Surgeon was Dr. Peter Lalor (not very well liked on this board) and at the time I chose him he had only done 2 DS surgery's with over a total of 600 surgery's and 8 yrs of BS. I was his 4th when I went on the table I was not concerned with the number of DS's he had done. His professionalism and knowledge of the procedure is what I was concerned about. I have had no complications and have had great success over the last 8 months (Totally off all diabetic meds and no sleep apnea).I hope you have consulted with your surgeon and you feel very confident in your choice and his knowledge of this procedure and that is the reason you are moving forward with your decision of this Dr.
   I've looked at some of the other surgeons listed here on OH .....
Dr. Peters - No numbers listed  (I know he has done DS there are two people on this thread alone with him)
Dr. Ungson -  Over x700 total and x406 DS
Dr. Stewart - Over x600 RNY  and x7 DS
Dr. Simper - Over x1500 total no number for DS
Dr. Pomp -  Over x2300 with x230 DS
Dr. Antanavicious - Over x500 Total with x115 DS (4 years of BS)
  Ms. Cal Culator loves to give her opinion and is very helpful don't get me wrong I love the lady and I think she is very wise... But who was her surgeon and back when she had her surgery how much experience did that surgeon have ??
 So what is the criteria that makes a surgeon Vetted? How many years they have in BS,  how many total surgery's they have performed or how many DS surgery's they have done? I'm not telling you to go forward or not go forward with this surgeon. I hope you have done your research on him and you are satisfied with the results. I just hear several people stating that you should choose a Vetted Surgeon" and I am just curious to what that is. 
  I wish you the best with your surgery and a speedy recovery , also best of luck with you mother.

Floyd,

Blank Out
on 9/9/11 2:56 am, edited 9/9/11 3:26 am
 A vetted surgeon has been tried and true, and has a reputation of being a known quantity.  Someone who has actually proctored under another vetted DS surgeon for a period of time. The DS is much more complex than any of the other bariatric procedures and requires more than a weekend workshop to be able to perform the procedure.  

A vetted DS surgeon is known to the rest of us in the online world of DS patients.   We actually know of many who have had said surgeon.   Miss Cal Culator is a wise, and very smart woman.  There is wisdom in the counsel of many, Floyd.  This is why you have to be an intelligent person to get the DS, and advoacte for yourself from the get go.   If someone does not meet this criteria, than I would say they are not a candidate for this very powerful tool!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

bookfaerie
on 9/9/11 3:09 am
 Having a difference of opinion with Sue, doesn't make her any less intelligent. It means that getting the DS isn't for the faint of heart. You have to have a brain and use it. And you have to ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY for your decisions. 

I find the use of Stephanie's death to be rhetorical rather than logical. You don't know why she died, but anyone who looks at the Bariatric Surgery Morbidity Index will find that the SMO are at a HIGH RISK of death for any surgical procedure.

AGAIN, I will say I know nothing at all about this "unvetted" surgeon. Nor do I give two ****s about the vetted surgeons (and we both know that at least one perhaps more have been taken OFF that list... what about those that blindly followed and had lack of appropriate follow up or consistent complications because they didn't bother to research their surgeon because he was "vetted"??)

Fuckitall people. Use your head. Research your surgeon. Know your risk factors. Grow up and put your big girl (or big boy) panties on. Then make the best decision you can. And live with it. 

Oh, and while I agree with warning people when you feel strongly about something, the bullying crap is just BS. (Not saying you specifically, just in general.) It is one thing to say that YOU wouldn't go to an unvetted surgeon. It is one thing to say that you would be concerned if you were someone's mother. It is a whole other shebang to use someone's death and add fear mongering to the mix to justify your position. Find me a surgeon who hasn't lost someone on the table after years and years of doing surgery...and his name is probably Jesus the Nazarene. 

"Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"What your heart thinks is great, is great. The soul's emphasis is always right." Ralph Waldo Emerson    
fradcliff
on 9/9/11 3:16 am
DS on 01/25/11 with
Well Said!!

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/11 3:24 am - TX
Actually his name is Dr Darryl Stewart.  Over 10 years of bariatric surgery, 6 or 7 years doing the DS.  He has lost 1 patient, an RNY, post-op, due to a blood clot developed from patient non-compliance.  Other than that, never lost a patient, especially not on the table. 

But he's not into soul saving, just life saving.  ;)
bookfaerie
on 9/9/11 3:37 am
 Tracy I loves you. And Dr. Stewart is awesome, but you and I both know that those statistics are WAY outside the curve. I believe a 1% mortality rate is pretty exceptional for most surgeons, and most are more like twice that or 1/500. Statistically speaking. (Which btw for those concerned, if I remember correctly, is right around the risk of having your gall bladder removed. )
 "Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"What your heart thinks is great, is great. The soul's emphasis is always right." Ralph Waldo Emerson    
Blank Out
on 9/9/11 3:29 am
 Wow!  Bullying?  I call it more like imploring.  It's not worth losing your life over.  And, if this "imploring" could save someone, than it's worth it!   I've seen bullying on this site, and it does not appear on this thread.

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

bookfaerie
on 9/9/11 3:45 am
 When you start using deaths to "convince" people, yes. It's bullying. Perhaps I should go look up the one or two deaths per 1000 that any surgeon on the vetted list is likely to have (statistically) and start imploring people not to see those surgeons? Patient X died of a blood clot, PLEASE consider your children! Patient Y got MRSA, PLEASE don't see him!! Heck, I just read Dr. Marchesini (Sp?) who is a vetted surgeon, put someone's intestines in backwards once! Oh dear Lords! Human Error! He might even attach your ileum to your amygdila!!! 

(Come to think of it, I know a few folks IRL who might have seen him and had such a procedure done. It would explain a lot.)

Yes it's bullying. Using one or two horrific experiences to justify your position isn't logic. It's emotional rhetoric. JMO 

bookfaerie
on 9/9/11 4:04 am
 BTW: I am NOT saying you are wrong. I am simply saying that "vetted surgeon" status is only ONE of the many possible issues to research when looking into a DS surgeon. My DS surgeon was not vetted. It was irrelevant to me. Why? Because MY surgeon is the guy Kaiser calls in when someone has say a boat anchor wrapped around his intestines and the surgeon has to figure out how to rearrange his guts to restore function. He's got extensive experience with the intestines and reconfiguring them for cancer patients, trauma patients, infection patients, etc. On top of that he's one of their go to bariatric surgeons. To the OP: I don't know your doctor. I don't know anything about your doctor. I can not in any way shape or form either endorse nor warn against your surgeon. YOU have to do your due diligence. YOU have to be responsible for your own health. Your surgeon may in fact be incompetent. You may well be playing russian roullette with your life. I do not know. What can I say for sure? Not a DS vetted surgeon, therefore you will have to do more research about him yourself, talk to his patients, ask the tough questions, and then decide for your self whether you are okay letting him rearrange your innards. 

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/9/11 4:13 am - Tuvalu

AND...you have a lot of experience in the medical field and a sixth sense, if you will, in knowing what to look for and what you are seeing...and how to find licenses online and how to research and all that.

A lot of people feel "honored" when a doctor isn't in and out of the exam room in five minutes and are sure that if HE has those letters after his name, he must know everything about it.  I suspect you are not cowed in the presence of an MD.

You MIGHT be assuming that the rest of us will "see" what you do...and that ain't necessarily the case.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1081 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1249 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 511 views