What happens if you forget to eat with a DS?

LadyLucky
on 9/6/12 8:28 pm - KS
I'm just curious what happens if you forget to eat after you have the DS.  Do you get shaky, a stomach ache, light-headed, etc.?  I forgot to eat lunch yesterday and I had stomach cramps (like menstrual cramps, which I don't normally have because of the Depo shot).  Then it hit me that maybe forgetting to eat with the DS might be even more severe.  Post-sleeve when I didn't eat I would just get shaky but no cramps, etc.

Anyone have experience with this as a post-op DS?  Anything I should know or do in case I do forget to eat post-DS (if by the grace of God I get the DS)?  Just so busy at work - no excuse, but it's my "reasoning".
MajorMom
on 9/7/12 2:48 am - VA
The first few years if I got empty I would get a burning, acidy feeling in my stomach. Never have gotten the shakes, cramps or lightheaded...{knocking on wood}

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

amccu18007
on 9/7/12 5:39 am - Newark, DE
I think everyone is different. I get shaky and get a slight headache.I don't feel typical hunger pains or signs though.
  Amanda
SW 269    CW 135.6  GW 140    

Jolly Rancher
on 9/7/12 5:53 am
I get very, very shaky and almost ill feeling.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
southernlady5464
on 9/7/12 6:12 am
Okay, I'll preface this by saying that 1) I am diabetic even tho it's diet and exercise controlled now. And 2) I have had reactive hypoglycemia for almost 2 decades and am only 19 months out from my DS. So my DS has NOTHING to do with my RH.

I forget to eat, my blood sugar goes low...way low and I get shaky. So I keep something in my purse and here at home that will raise it quickly so I can then eat protein behind it.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

preachermomma37
on 9/7/12 7:01 am - TN
I learned this week if I don't eat often enough my sugar goes low and I get weak. Won't be doing that again. It took me a day to recover fully.
MsBatt
on 9/7/12 4:21 pm
If I go too long without eating, I get light-headed and a little bit sick at my stomach. And I do have days when I simply don't want to eat, and I have to force myself. (Which is just WRONG, on so many levels!)

If you've already got a Sleeve, adding in the intestinal bypass of the Switch probably won't change things much in your eating habits.
Heather E.
on 9/8/12 8:11 am
I get really nauseous if I go too long without eating, and then it's almost impossible for me TO eat, which sucks.  I try never to go there, so I'm almost constantly sipping on a protein coffee to keep some nutrition in my system.  It really does help.

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

JazzyOne9254
on 9/8/12 9:11 am
Immediately post-op, you will likely be drinking more than you will be eating at least for the first four weeks. 

Actually, loss of appetite is one of the first signs of dehydration, so I think protein shakes  with supplementation take care of nutrition and some hydration, but you want to make sure you are always sipping fluids.  Hypoglycemia is possible for anyone to have to varying degrees if they don't eat properly, but the symptoms are even more pronounced for bariatric patients, because of the malabsorption.

If I don't eat on a regular schedule, or don't eat enough (which happens sometimes)  I get crampy guts and diarrhea.   I usually munch on Kashi Go Lean cereal (red box) through out the day (13 g protein per serving), but that would be too harsh for you immediately post op.  I would suggest sticking to a efvery 2 to 3 hour"mini" protein shakes schedule.  That's likely all you'll be doing post op.  If you get a hypoglycemic reaction, do what diabetics do.  Get some fruit juice in to get your blood sugar up, then go from there.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Valerie G.
on 9/8/12 2:15 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I just feel like crap if I don't eat.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 741 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1038 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 349 views