what kind of foods do you eat during the weight loss stage

nevergonnalearn
on 5/16/13 12:57 am - phila, PA
DS on 03/26/13
I get the whole protein thing. I eat meat all day long since I can not stomach protein shakes. What other things are we allowed to have during the first year? I miss veggies and honestly I am sick of just eating meat and cheese. I would like to have a side dish of veggies. What is some sample menus of what you eat through out the day? I am just at a loss for ideas of what to make for breakfast lunch or dinner anymore
PattyL
on 5/16/13 3:27 am

I despise protein shakes too.

I think of veggies as sort of a condiment and I use them a lot but I use them sparingly.  Another thing I use as a bread substitute are low carb tortillas.  Haven't tried it yet there are some kinds of Julian Bread with no carbs.

Tuna, chicken, or egg salad are almost always in the fridge.  I do use the usual veggies when making them.  A DS friendly salad is about an ounce of lettuce type food with cheese, meat, beans, olives, and sunflower seeds.  And full fat salad dressing.  I do a lot of soups, chilis, and stews, heavy on the meat and beans, scant on the veggies.  A typical 'sandwich' would be bacon and tomato on 2 romaine leaves or a low carb tortilla.

If we BBQ and do corn, I might have 1/2 an ear if I haven't had a lot of carbs that day.  If there's a veggie I really want I have a small amount, like a tablespoon or so.  Just enough for a couple bites.  There's not much 'wrong' with eating some green beans except they do take up space that would be better used for protein.  If you want broccoli or cauliflower, add protein with cheese sauce and pieces of cooked chicken.

The worst veggies are the high carb ones like peas, potatoes, and corn.

Be creative.  A DS diet never has to be boring.

Here's one of my own recipes.

Jamaican Chicken

The night before, dice up a bunch of chicken, an onion, cilantro, garlic, pepper, and add the juice of about 2 limes along with the zest.  Stir in a tablespoon(to taste) of Walkerswood Jamaican jerk.  If you want this dish to be a little heavier on the veggies, you can add fresh green beans or asparagus.  Stir it all up and put it in the fridge in a covered container.

The next day, put some olive oil in a big pan and add the chicken mixture.  Saute till the chicken is cooked.  At this point you can taste and see if you want to add more Walkerswood.  Add some grated parmesan and alfredo sauce.  Homemade or storebought.  Warm thoroughly.

Serve over rice or pasta with lime wedges and parmesan.  Sometimes I do shirataki noodles or just eat the chicken mixture.  If I do the shirataki noodles I drain/rinse them them the night before and let them soak in lime water overnight.  Usually the remains of the limes I used to make the sauce.  If I decide to eat the rice/pasta I will only have about 1/4 cup.

nevergonnalearn
on 5/16/13 3:47 am - phila, PA
DS on 03/26/13
Thanks it just seemed like all I was eating has been pork, steak, and cheese. I am still early out and I just want a little bit of a change for once. Like some mushrooms on my steak or something. I will have around try the low Carb tortillas. I don't miss carbs I miss how easy it was just to grab something to eat. That recipe sounds super yummy!
docputer
on 5/16/13 3:57 am, edited 5/16/13 4:01 am - Topeka, KS
DS on 01/17/13

Try Brok's Pizza recipe. Just made it last night.  This makes a great break if you are having trouble with all the meat and the pizza is awesome! We did mushroom olive and pepperoni.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4016395/OMG-For-the-rec ord-Broks-Low-carb-pizza-is-the-SCHIZNIT/

Irishnurse
on 5/16/13 7:22 am
DS on 04/17/13

Thank you for the recipe!

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Huneypie
on 5/16/13 4:06 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

Scroll to about half way down on Val's profile and you'll see a few nice recipes.  The PB cookies are good http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/valgroce/

See here for Brok's pizza http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4016395/OMG-For-the-rec ord-Broks-Low-carb-pizza-is-the-SCHIZNIT/

IMO eggs make a good breakfast, either fried or scrambled.  Adding some cheese to them makes them more interesting.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Jaiart
on 5/16/13 6:34 am, edited 5/16/13 1:32 pm - MI
One other thing to consider is changing your thought pattern.

A. You have to consume protein, it's difficult to get the required amounts of protein as as DS'er through food alone. So no matter how much you don't like them, drink the protein shakes.

2. You made a commitment as part of this drastic procedure you had done, why not give it the best chance to work and do what you want it to do. Once you but goal and stabilze you can add complex carbs back slowly.

Don't sabotage your and your surgeons efforts by getting moist eyes over carbs. It's a short time to be as low carb as possible versus the total length of your life.

In other words don't do like I did, do like Nike advises and "Just Do It"

jashley
on 5/16/13 7:03 am, edited 5/16/13 7:03 am
DS on 12/19/12

The menu does get monotonous, doesn't it? 

Google low carb recipes, and you will get a good supply of sites with low carb recipes to try.  I try to get a new one in every week.  If I'm missing pizza, I google low carb pizza and there will be a ton of different versions to try.  I found a tofu fake mac and cheese that is pretty good, and it freezes really well - so try stuff you normally wouldn't.  You start accumulating good recipes, and this really helps stay off the carbs.

Also, start experimenting with flax seed muffins, oops rolls, etc.  There are ways to make a bread like texture out of low carb ingredients.  Then you can make a sandwich with them.

If you don't like to cook, pick a time once a week where you make 2 to 4 different meals and cut them up into portions and put into the freezer/frig.  I do this, and I reach in and grab one of four things and nuke it.  Lunch/dinner is ready.  Combine this with tuna fish, hard boiled eggs, sausages and bratts, and cooked bacon in a bag - you have a lot of 'grab and go' food waiting for you in the frig. 

I do eat frozen veggies.  About a 1/2 cup a day.  Not carrots, potatoes, or corn.  Low carb ones.  I love salads, but I load them up with protein and nuts/seeds also.  No low fat dressings either.  I like to make my own dressings at home so I can use real mayo, full fat stuff, heavy creams, good olive oil, my own spices and sugar free jams/preserves.  For me, salads are a conveyance mechanism for fats - which we all need to eat a lot of.

beemerbeeper
on 5/16/13 12:39 pm - AL

Steak (rib eye)

"Protein salad"  tiny bit of lettuce loaded with cheese, meat,  and real fat ranch

Brok's pizza

Greek yogurt sweetened with splenda and SF jelly

Fried cheese with spenda and SF syrup

Atkins meals have just come out.  Man I wish they had those when I was loosing.  But they are a new staple here.

Protein bars and shakes

Ricotta Fluff

Faux Cheesecake

Chicken fingers, fried chicken,  KFC Double down.  (makes about 4 meals early out, now I can eat a whole one)

No carb burgers (lettuce wraps)

I don't know.  I never got bored.  The weight just flew off.

Oh I ate one very very dark chocolate bar a week.  It has very few carbs the darker the chocolate you get.

Hope this helps.

~Becky

Ms_Em
on 5/16/13 1:54 pm - NY
I am at my one-year anniversary next week and lost 120 lbs. Early on I developed my own sweet and sour chili recipe. I still always have some in the fridge. I make a pot of it every week.
SWEET AND SOUR TURKEY CHILI
1 lb 99% fat free ground turkey
4 cans of black beans rinsed well
2 cans diced tomatoes (sometimes the kind with Chiles)
1 large can crushed or chunk pineapple
1 can sliced carrots
1 can french style green beans
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup Tropicana Light Fruit punch
1 1/2 cup quinoa

Brown the turkey
Add all other ingredients including liquid from cans (except beans wash those well)
Bring all ingredients to a boil.
Reduce to low heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
* Adjust amount of quinoa depending on how firm or liquid you like the dish.
I keep this on hand and microwave a bowl for 2 1/2 minutes whenever I need a quick bite. Also travels well in a thermos for lunch at work. Really good with Franks hot sauce added if you like spice. A little soy sauce adds an Asian twist. Experiment. Enjoy.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 358 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 816 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views