Freaking DNF!!

Hawgman
on 4/4/11 6:57 am - TX

I went to Arkansas to run the Bentonville Half Marathon on Saturday.
Weather was great.  Temp in the low 40s when we started.  There were approx. 800 runners.

Started off fine.  Running at an 8:30 to 8:45 pace the first 3 miles.  Right after the 3 mile marker I felt a pain in my hip.  It has come and gone before and I thought it would pass as it usually does.  It continued to get worse, so I thought I would walk a bit and see if it would pass.  The pain subsided and I started running again.  As I started running a felt (heard) a pop in my hip joint and it felt like a sniper had placed a well aimed bullet in my hip. 

I knew immediately I was finished.  I had not every DNFed before, but the pop really scared me.  I walked to the aid station at Mile 4.  Tested the hip one more time and it was just as bad as before.  No the quandry was how to get back to the start/finish.  I borrowed a phone from an angel at the aid station.  Called my phone that I thought my sister was holding.  Turns out she wasn't.  The angel graciously offered to put me into her own car and drive me back.  Incredibly, her children went to the same private school that my two nephews go to.

Any way I got back, feeling disgusted and loaded up and went back to the house.  I have an appointment with the sports ortho on Wednesday.

You guys have any thoughts about what this could be and how long recovery will take?

As always, any input will be appreciated.

Darrell

PS  Got a killer tatoo of a running "Hawgman" on my thigh while I was there.

Seht
on 4/4/11 8:24 am
Sorry to hear about that, I don't have an answer for you, but I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Cassie W.
on 4/4/11 10:00 am
Darrell,

Sorry to hear about your injury.  Only the ortho will be able to make an accurate diagnosis of your hip.  Until then, rest, elevation and ice are the best medicine  I had to pull out of a marathon before I hit the 2nd mile when my hamstring "popped."  It's disheartening, but there will always be another race.  Just remember to give the recovery process the time it deserves to avoid chronic problems.  I picked up swimming and biking when I couldn't run.

You're going to have to post pictures of your tat!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

mcarthur01
on 4/4/11 10:36 am - Cumming, GA
man, what a bummer, no advice other than to LISTEN to your ortho during rehab.  i'm hoping for a simple issue and speedy recovery.

i want to see the tatoo too!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 4/5/11 12:13 am - Fort Worth, TX
Sometimes DNF stands for Did Not Fatal!!! Running through an injury can and has proven to be a nail in the proverbial coffin for runners. You did the SMART thing, and there is always another race! Get that thing fixed and you will be back at it in no time!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Jillian O.
on 4/5/11 3:33 am - Fort Riley, KS
You did the right thing, I can't imagine what could have happened if you didn't stop when you did. Don't be so hard on yourself, you have so many achievements under your belt.

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

Stacy160
on 4/5/11 8:37 am
Hate to say it, but if I had to bet, I'd bet you have a torn labrum.

HW 258    SW 246.4    CW 166.8 GW 160    
                     (reflects loss from all-time high weight in November 2009)
Hawgman
on 4/5/11 10:28 pm - TX
Guys,

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement.  I will let you know how it goes.

Darrell
Most Active