WHAT ARE YOU EATING PRE-WORKOUT FOR ENERGY?

tinamarie47
on 4/13/11 11:32 pm - Hot Springs, SD
I am interested to see what people are eating pre workout and at what time frame before working out. I seem to "run out of steam" about 30 minutes in no matter if it's Zumba, treadmill, rowing machine...just poop out!

I've tried to eat some greek yogurt about 1 hour prior and another time some beef jerky...neither was really successful.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.   Phil: 4:13    View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
Paul C.
on 4/14/11 12:04 am - Cumming, GA
I eat some carbs before my workout. Typical Breakfast is

2 Eggo Nutrigrain Waffle
1 TSP peanutbutter
1/2 Banana

A smaller workout I will only eat 1 waffle, but if I have only protein I will die quickly  in a workout.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
tinamarie47
on 4/14/11 9:56 am - Hot Springs, SD
I agree with you Paul...protein only does not give me the energy to last more than 30 minutes. I don't want to fill up either and then throw up during my workout ...not an attractive quality...

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.   Phil: 4:13    View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
nate2009
on 4/14/11 1:18 am - Lebanon, OH
I do a protein shake on my way to the gym. One during my workout, and one after with a few simple carbs.
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
Jillian O.
on 4/14/11 2:38 am - Fort Riley, KS
I buy honey stinger gels by the case and slurp one before training.

Jillian
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, Army Wife, 3x Ironman Finisher

tinamarie47
on 4/14/11 9:46 am - Hot Springs, SD
Jillian...I am the proud wife of an Army veteran - Gulf War...

Thank you for your service!
Thanks for the input as well-you look great!

cherryblossoms
on 4/14/11 5:23 am, edited 4/14/11 5:28 am
 Hello,  I had my surgery about a week after you did : )

I'm just getting back into working out again too, and I  also eat a small serving of carbs with protein before then follow up with a high protein shake after.

pre work out, depending on the work out , a fruit salad, cottage cheese pancake, protein oatmeal, stuff like that.

Lorna

tinamarie47
on 4/14/11 9:57 am - Hot Springs, SD
Great suggestions-thanks! Gives me a lot of different choices to try this week - I'll keep you all posted.

mcarthur01
on 4/14/11 6:02 am - Cumming, GA
i work out in the morning so my typical breakfast pre-workout is:  2 slices whole wheat toast with reduced fat peanut butter and honey, 1 danon light and fit yogurt, and some coffee.  it is a half hour drive to the gym for me, so i eat it in the car on the way to the gym.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

tinamarie47
on 4/14/11 9:50 am - Hot Springs, SD
I love Chewbacca by the way...I'm a closet Star Wars nut! 

I couldn't possibly eat that much - I'm really trying to stay completely away from breads and carbs-even whole wheat but this looks like it would give you lots of energy. Thanks for sharing!

Most Active