buying a bicycle, need advice please!

Mrsdean4
on 10/6/11 8:15 pm - VA
So, a little background first.  I'm 40, 5'3" and right around 270 now.  I have two lousy knees.    I'm pre-op, hoping to do VSG very soon.  I've been back into exercising for about 12 weeks now as part of my over all health plan.  I have a nice recumbent bike at home and I go to the Y three times a week for strength training and to mix up my cardio some.

I haven't been on a real bicycle in over 10 years.  I have NEVER been on a geared bike before.  I have two children who would love to be able to ride with me, and I'm ready to go for it!

I have a budget of up to 500 and two local bike shops as well as a Dick's Sporting.  The "good" brands available to me are Trek, Giant, Specialized, Raleigh, Diamondback, Cannondale and Scott. 

Most of my riding would be on paved trails or packed trails, hilly but not any real off road mileage.

Any advice from cyclists out there?  TIA!

mcarthur01
on 10/6/11 10:33 pm - Cumming, GA
it really depends on what your goals are.  if you want to eventually ride in long bike events (like centuries) or do triathlons you may want to start out with a road bike.  if you are looking for fitness without any particular distance/time goals, a hybrid bike may be good.  i would stay away from Dick's and go with a local bike shop (preferably the one with the best reputation) and talk it over with the guys there.  they can typically steer you in the right direction based on your budget and goals.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Seht
on 10/6/11 10:58 pm
Congrats!
I love cycling and it's my favorite form of exercise.

Check out your local bike stores, have them fit you on a bike see what is comfortable.
Many bike stores will do a rental and then apply the rental fee towards a purchase if you decide to do that.  I like this option because you can take the bike for a longer ride.  Just trying it around the block or corner isn't really going to give you a feel for what it is like to be on the bike for an hour.

Also what the bike feels like now and what it feels like when you hit your goal weight are going to be two different things.  You will also change the way it feels as you get more saddle time in.

check with your local bike clubs/craigs list/ebay.  Also one of our local bike stores that does rentals has a sale where they sell off their rental bikes each year, so that is a good way to get a step up in quality and bells & whistles.  The bikes have been maintained professionally and function well.

Also they do make recumbent bike and even recumbent trikes, we have a few people in our club that ride them, but they aren't cheap, probably 4-5 times your price range, but you may be able to find something in your range on ebay, I have seen a few there while window shopping.  I just did a quick search and found this one

It really depends on what kind of bike you want, and what you see as your long term goal when it comes to riding a bike. Here is a decent place to start for determining what type of bike you want it isn't the end all be all, but will give you a good base to start your research from.

Here is my experience with the bikes. 
All of the big name companys make a quality bike, at the upper price end, think thousands not hundreds.  Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, Giant, Cervelo, Felt, and the real difference comes in what the components are and what the bike is make of.  Carbon fiber, Steel, Aluminum, Titanium or a combination of those materials.  To get the price down, you are probably looking at Steel or Aluminum, you are looking at the low end wheels, and drive train and brakes.  A high end setup of gears, pedals, shifting and braking components can cost a couple thousand dollars, so you see what they swap out to save money, and get the price down.

I wanted a road bike think classic 10 speed but updated to todays standards.
For 500 dollars that was the bottom of the line from a reputable dealer without going to WalMart
Well even then you end up getting what you pay for, I purchased a Diamondback and wish I never had, that was a waste of $600 that would have been better spent elsewhere, I ended up having to have the bike worked on several times and upgrade some of the cheaper components.  I would have been better saving a little longer and buying it with the better components in the first place.

Here is another source for discount bikes bikes direct
Remember the problem with online sales is that you can't ride it first and in most cases just like in the stores, you get what you pay for.

Additionally beyond the bike you have some of the following expenses
Helmet
Pedals(maybe) at the higher end many of the bikes don't come with pedals as it's a personal fit choice.
Safety eye wear
Some basic tools to change a flat, that can be carried with you.
Some cycling gloves to protect hands in case of a fall
maybe some riding clothes, not necessary, but if you get hooked you may want them.

I could go on and on, but I'm worried about info overload or scaring you off.
You have picked a great activity, I hope you enjoy it.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

acbbrown
on 10/6/11 11:48 pm - Granada Hills, CA
Thanks for the all the info Scott! I've been thinking about getting a bike, probably for long rides and/or triathalons. Do you think id be better off waiting until I am closer to my goal weight to invest in a good bike - since things might change between now and then?

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Seht
on 10/7/11 12:15 am
Buy the best bike you can, but be realistic with what you plan to do with it.

I went cheap the first time, I'm sorry I did, but it was not only a money issue it was a practical issue.  I wasn't sure I'd like it and spending a few thousand dollars on a bike that just sat in the garage wouldn't have been a good purchase either.

Maybe you can pick up a yard sale bike or want ad bike and give it a try for little to no money.  Continue saving for a better bike and if you like it go for it.

If you don't like it, then you aren't out a whole big wad of cash.

I don't think you have to wait until you hit goal, but many of the high end Carbon fiber bikes do have a weight range as do the higher priced wheels you can get for them.

Scott

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/11 3:29 am
My 2002 Trek Project One has a 300 lb limit.  My spokes on the other hand don't seem to agree! 

I spent $700 getting some bullet proof wheels so I could ride it early this year.  But I do have a couple pair of outstanding race day wheels for next year!

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/11 3:25 am
Absolutely great advice.  I have the same problem explaining to prospective bikers without going too far.  LOL

To me the keys are QUALITY, PROPER FIT and PROPER FUNCTION.  You may change the function after you get started so something with some flexibility might be in order.  Of course, you could get hooked and have 2-3 bikes so you have one for each function you enjoy. 

I always try to explain that if you get junk you WILL quit.  Spend the money to get good quality of equipment.  Keep in mind that good quality today would have been well above "top of the line" 15 years ago.  Good bike shop equipment will have good shifting and other mechanical features. 

Echoing Scott's post  regarding mail order bikes...  I think a good bike shop is essential for a novice.  Much like OH, a bike shop should be your support network as you learn your way around spokes, chains, shifters and such.  A good bike shop will probably have a pleasant sign on it saying they are sorry they can't work on your Kmart bike.  I've seen some chatter that owners of mail order bikes, even of good quality, have been turned back.  Not so much but...

As  you learn, you can decide on what to order and what to buy locally.  I try to support my bike shop as much as I can but there are times I do order items because they don't stock them or are way too expensive.  But...my shop has always treated me fairly, given me good service and such.  
Seht
on 10/7/11 6:49 am
I always try to order from a local shop unless they are way over priced.

I have had good customer support from them and they have always treated me fairly and generously.
However some times you will find a deal online that you just can't justify.

Like my new wheels.  I purchased some HED Ardennes CL online for $400 they were over 800 at the LBS They were almost brand new, and the guy I bought them from had bought them from my LBS earlier this year.

So I didn't feel so bad about it.  They had gotten business from this other guy, but he decided to go another way.

It was a good deal all the way around.  No matter how much I like the staff at the LBS I can't justify spending an extra $400 dollars on a purchase.

Scott

cabin111
on 10/7/11 8:42 am

A lot of good advise above.  Here is my 2 cents.  I would buy cheap used.  Find the best cheap upright bike you can find.  Do not lay out tons of money for something you may not use.  When I first hopped on my daughter's bike (a few weeks post op) I did not like it.  I had to pull my whole weight to ride it.  Not fun!!  As I dropped the weight, it became more and more enjoyable.  If you ride a couple of used bikes you can tell if it's enjoyable or not.  Just keeping it real...You probably won't enjoy it till you have major weightloss...More work than fun.  I would stick with the recumbent till a few months after surgery.  As you get below 200 pounds I would look to buy used and see how you enjoy it.  As you drop to about 160 (or start to level off), then look to buy a new, better quality bike.  Cart before the horse type of thing.  Just me.  Brian

Mrsdean4
on 10/7/11 10:56 pm - VA
Thanks for all the great replies.  I followed all those links and did quite a bit more research myself.  Also, I just found out that I'm getting and unexpected bonus check from work.  Fate, don't you think?  I am going to purchase the Specialized expedition at my LBS today.  Of all the bikes in my price range, it has the highest quality components as well as double wall rims.  I know I won't be needing them forever, but I think it's important to have them in the next year or so.  

And, the way I look at it even if this does NOT become my primary form of exercise, I will have a quality bike that will last for years and I will be able to use it on rides with my family either way.  

Thanks again for all your great advice! 

Most Active