treadmill vs "running" elliptical

KatCooper
on 7/11/12 1:33 pm - Collierville, TN
 We are about to have a week of thunderstorms.  I dont mind running in rain, but combining water AND electricity is not my idea of fun.  So it looks like I will be going to the gym. I am in the middle of training for a 1/2 Marathon at the end of September and have an 8 mile run schedlued for this week. I really, really, really, really hate the treadmill.  I can't see to find my pace and I am also a complete klutz who has been slung off of them.  So, we have these really cool looking ellipticals that mimic running without the pounding.  Do you think it would do much harm to the training if I used thoses for 1/2 of my run or dare I ask the entire thing??  I used them early when I couldnt run, but stopped a while back. Have any of you used them?  I am cycling on my cross training days at the gym so really dont want to do that all week.    I did 4 miles on the treadmill last week because of the rain and I really think that 8 will make me crazy.  Plus I am a REALLY slow runner/jogger.  On a fabulous day I can kick in a 12:20, but I am usually a 13min/miler.  So, yes, I know I am whining about the treadmill, but I would appreciate your feed back anyway. :-)

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

jkjstars123
on 7/11/12 1:46 pm - Tama, IA
I also hate the treadmill. I love running outside but when I have to run inside I run in a gym but the problem is lots of curves. I then will do the elliptical. Today I tried something different with running stairs. My longest run is only 5 miles so it might be a little different for you.

Julie

HW 304, SW 291, GW 160, CW 140 H-5'9.5"            

acbbrown
on 7/11/12 2:04 pm - Granada Hills, CA
Ive never been a fan of those weird elliptical things so I cant say id ever recommend them - but that's just me. 

Id say get some good music and pound out the 8 miles. In fact, I'll join you in a virtual dreadmill session if you want - im overdue for a long run but it's 110 degrees outside so im resigned to the TM. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

KatCooper
on 7/11/12 2:09 pm - Collierville, TN
 Alison, did the whining not clearly come across in my post????  Hello, you are supposed to enable my desire to get out of it.  LOL, just kidding.  I am thinking that for the training aspect, I just need to suck it up and get on the treadmill.  So, thanks for the kick in the butt and I will be there in the morning.  Here's to 8 virtual miles together!!

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

acbbrown
on 7/12/12 12:06 am - Granada Hills, CA
 Kat - if you had asked me if you could go for an 8 mile bike ride instead, id have been like "hell yeah" but i'll never say that about an elliptical hahah. 

I think my power song of the week for this virtual run will be some LMFAO :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

hrford
on 7/11/12 10:30 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
 While an elliptical does fit into my workout schedule I DO NOT count the "miles" on their towards my training miles.  I just suffer on the treadmill.  I hate it, you hate it, I don't know how people do it regularly, but, imo, you need to actually run for those to count towards your training miles.  Sorry.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

joysmiles
on 7/11/12 11:46 pm - Raleigh, NC
Agreed. It's a totally different movement. It seems the same, but it's not.

I can run two miles on the elipitical and two miles on the treadmill, and I feel completely different.
Most Active