Marathon Success? Probably.

docbad32
on 3/14/16 8:06 am

So I ran the Myrtle Beach Marathon a week ago.  I won't bother you with the boring details.  Almost everything went wrong, yet I finished.  I miss my time goal by 3 minutes because a foot pain, which has never come up before, made me limp miles 20-24.  Miles 25 thru finish I decided the foot was not going to get better, might as well sprint.  My fastest mile was the last mile.  I was so mad at my body for failing me I couldn't even enjoy what I just did.  But now I'm excited for what's next.  I'm not a fast guy, so I figure I might as well become a long guy.  Registering for a 50k mountain race in October.  Time to put this thing to the test.  Thanks for all the support.  Sorry for the rambling, work and stuff.  Here's a pic of my sexy ass focusing all my rage on the pavement. 

VSG:  3/12/15

billmacc7
on 3/14/16 1:50 pm - MA

What a great post doc so proud of you for fighting through finishing the race I am training for my first marathon in May and I'm absolutely terrified!!!

My training is going well but the actual thought of doing a marathon at times can be overwhelming but I plan on conquer my fear and succeeding be well my friend 

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

docbad32
on 3/14/16 2:35 pm

Thanks!  It was intimidating at first but it's like everything else, one step at a time.  Also, strength train!  Even if it's light stuff.  Once the miles start adding up, any muscle imbalances you have get exaggerated and start to suck. 

billmacc7
on 3/14/16 5:37 pm - MA

Thank you for your response like the idea of taking it one step at a time brother!

I have been doing some strength training in conjunction with running hopefully this will serve me well the day of the race!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

bandhope
on 3/23/16 4:39 pm - TX

Congrats! It is life changing no matter the pace! Great picture and focus! 

iloveravens
on 3/30/16 8:38 am
RNY on 08/13/14

Did you ever figure out the foot pain?  Plantar facitis (sp)??  I've had a new one pop up.  It goes down the side of my knee and hurts when I run downhill.  Uphill is no problem.  Dr. Google says it's iliotibial band pain.  I just ordered a knee wrap from Amazon.  Luckily it doesn't hurt me at all doing Zumba or kickbox.  Strange...  My doc said to start physical therapy...we'll see.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

docbad32
on 3/30/16 12:18 pm

I've had PF before.  This was along the top of the foot, along the big toe.  Turned out to be extensor tendonitis.  I guess my shoe was a little too tight and over the course of the run it aggravated that tendon.  I also have ITBS (IT band pain) but it's at the top of the IT where it passes the hip.  Same things cause it just different spots are affected.  Muscle imbalances and over use.  If you haven't seen it already, look up runners knee.  I'd bet that's what you have.  PT is good, but honestly once you have the diagnosis there's not much they'll tell you that the interwebs won't.

Most Active