Kim S.’s Posts

Kim S.
on 2/4/13 1:22 am
Topic: RE: Manic Monday Workouts!

I'm off to boot camp after work today. 

I had an amusing revelation this past week. I was in TX on business.  I always go to TJ Maxx when I'm out of town.  And I always end up buying workout clothes.  This trip was no exception-got some great running socks, a pair of shorts, a bra and a top.

Then yesterday I was doing laundry.  I've noticed when I do the weekly laundry that I have more athletic wear than real clothes-every week.  And I don't wear this stuff for the fun of it, if it is dirty, it is because I did some type of workout in it. 

Yep........I've become one of those people!!

Hmmm.....I hope my old body can keep up with this level of activity for a while....it does allow me the freedom to eat/drink however I want (within reason of course) and it keeps my arthritis at bay!

Kim S.
on 2/4/13 12:27 am, edited 2/4/13 12:27 am
Topic: RE: How Soon Can I Resume Exercise after Roux-en-Y?

You know, I could've written this post (and think I did!) in 2010.

Talk to your doctor, and follow his/her recommendation.

I worked out for 6 months pre-surgery.  The day I went home from the hospital, I got on my treadmill (of course, VERY SLOW SPEED).  Each day I'd either walk outdoors or on my treadmill steadily increasing my distance only for the first few weeks.  At 3 weeks out I was clear to increase intensity, and at 4 weeks out I was cleared to resume weights.  I've never stopped!

Exercise is such an important part of this journey-you'll be so glad you did it sooner than later.  I can't help but think that because I consistently exercised for my entire journey that is probably the reason I never had a stall and lost every single wee****il I hit goal.

Kim S.
on 1/28/13 4:56 am
Topic: RE: Flab to Fab

It is for men and women, and there is decent instruction about modifying until you can do the whole thing.  I have P90X, P90X+ and P90X2, but the original, P90X is my fave.

Kim S.
on 1/28/13 3:50 am, edited 1/28/13 3:51 am
Topic: RE: cheap ideas for more burn

Definitely weight training!  I love P90X workouts and after 4 years still get great workouts from them.

I also thought I'd NEVER join a gym since I have a home gym in my basement, but I did join one a few weeks ago with my daughter....that is the only way she'd commit to work out.  It is a "rough" gym.....it is in an old auto shop, just some flooring, paint and boxing bags...they teach boxing and boot camp....I go to boot camp 2-3 times a week now in addition to running and P90X.  I'm enjoying the change, and if I get tired of it, I can quit with 30 days notice (and it is only $35 a month).

I NEVER thought I'd get to where I was so fit I'd have to keep upping the ante, but alas, I see it coming!

Kim S.
on 1/28/13 3:46 am
Topic: RE: Flab to Fab

The P90X arm/shoulder workout is awesome!  I do it with 15 lb weights.

Kim S.
on 1/28/13 3:45 am
Topic: RE: Monday Workouts!

Weekend's over!  What are you doing to get those hineys moving today??

I'm off to bootcamp at 5:30.

I ran 3 miles and powerwalked 1 mile Saturday-and I hiked 5 miles yesterday............

Kim S.
on 1/23/13 2:02 am
Topic: RE: Wednesday workouts!

Headed to boot camp at 5:30 today!

Kim S.
on 1/15/13 4:39 am
Topic: RE: Does it make sense to weight train on 800 calories??

Sounds like you are pretty far out....so 800 calories is unrealistic and dangerous.  You should concentrate what a "normal" person would need every day for good health.  General rule is do not go under 1,200 per day (for folks that are more that a year out), and you may require more if you are burning lots of calories.

I've never heard that statement you made about not losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time.  That is exactly what I did during my weight loss phase. I do not think you should focus on one type of exercise-just like you need a well balanced diet, you need a well balanced workout plan. 

To keep my metabolism running top notch, I eat 6-7 small meals per day, with about 120 grams of protein and about the same in carbs.  I shoot to keep my carbs as complex, and my proteins lean.

The 3.8 lbs you've lost is likely water weight.  In order to stick to your plan and lose consistently, set yourself up to lose about one lb per wee****il you hit goal.

1) Begin tracking everything you put into your mouth.  You can do that here on OH in the Health Tracker.  Or mobile apps like myfitnesspal.com.

2) Determine your RMR http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

3) Set your daily caloric level at your RMR - 500.  This will set you up to lose 1 lb per week, which is the safest level to shoot for AND it will give you enough food so you don't feel deprived.

4) Make 100-120 grams of protein per day your goal.  I eat a 6-7 oz chicken breast grilled every single day.  That alone is 53 grams of protein, and it is real food so I feel full.

5) Eat 6-7 small meals each day.  This will keep your blood sugar level and will keep you feeling full.

6) Exercise.  Everyday.  At least 30 minutes.  If your heartrate is up and you are sweating, you are good.

7)  Follow the rules of your surgery.  Do not drink with meals and do not drink for at least 30 minutes afterward.  Limit simple carbs and sugar, but don't completely eliminate them.  If you do, you'll feel deprived, and we all know how well that has worked for us in the past.......

8)  Come here for support.  We are here for you.

Kim S.
on 1/13/13 6:36 am
Topic: RE: I need music suggestions!!

Not necessarily rap, but I just rediscovered the Now CDs --got Now 43 and I really like it.

Kim S.
on 1/11/13 12:47 am
Topic: RE: Please Share your Fitness Transformation Stories!

Welcome!  First, this board is the best place for support regardless of what your fitness level/goal is. There is no judgement here-just support, praise and advice.

My story:

I was 324 lbs at 44 years old.  I had no co-morbidities but they all run in my immediate family, so my day was coming.  I was scared that I couldn't do the simplest of things without getting winded.  My husband and I love to travel and be active, but I was holding us back.  I'd had enough of the yo-yo dieting and failure at keeping the weight off-I'd been successful at every single thing in my life EXCEPT controlling my weight.

When I decided on WLS my sweet, never overweight husband declared that if I was going to do it, I was going to do it right, so I had to start exercising.  And I did.  I began when I started the 6 month supervised diet. I started slow-just walking on the treadmill and using the weight machines.  I cried because everything hurt, but I was not going to let us down....I set small goals and one by one I reached them. After my surgery, I started increasing my workouts and challenging myself more.  When I was close to goal, I saw the P90X commercial.  As a joke, I told my husband we should get it.  He said ok.  I ordered it, and cried like a sissy girl for the first few weeks.  My sweet husband lasted about a week....then he bailed on me. 

To this day I love P90X, running, hiking, boot camp and boxing.  I do some yoga too.  I'm not the fastest, and I don't have the biggest muscles, but I am the best me I can be.  I can't imagine my life without fitness now-it is as normal as breathing to me now.

Best wishes on your journey.

Kim S.
on 1/11/13 12:18 am
Topic: RE: How do I stop the Bounce

I've been in your shoes!  After my plastics, I had to wear Spanx for a while, and I had to wear them when I was running in the beginning.  Running in Spanx really helped with the movement of my skin.  So, you could try that.  I wear the super higher power panty, and it goes under your clothes.

I just bought the VSX sports bra by Victorias Secret.  It is, by far, the best one I've ever worn.  It has molded cups with underwire. I do need to mention that I've had a breast lift though, so I don't still have the skin.

Treadmills are gonna shake a bit when you run on them.  Even when it is a quality running treadmill, there will be some shake.

Enjoy your running!  I NEVER thought I'd be a runner, but I really look forward to that me time.

Kim S.
on 1/10/13 2:50 am
Topic: RE: New knee pain - Possible shoe issue?

My running store told me that you can expect 500 miles out of a pair of good running shoes....which I will say is exactly what I get....I can feel them breaking down from the inside when it is time.

Definitely pay a visit back to the shoe store and discuss.  Oh, and do you have arthritis?  I do, and the winter months are just the pits for me.....my knees take turns hurting.

155 "no light weight"......????!!!  It is in my world!  :)

Kim S.
on 1/10/13 12:47 am
Topic: RE: Wednesday Workouts?

Even a crappy run is a run.  Some days you'll be "on" mentally and others you won't be.  Give yourself permission to be "off" sometimes, but do not allow yourself to skip it when you are "off".

Do you use an iPod when you run?  Maybe treat yourself to some new music.  You did good!

Kim S.
on 1/10/13 12:45 am
Topic: RE: Wednesday Workouts?

I went to boot camp last night.

Kim S.
on 1/8/13 12:34 am
Topic: RE: HELP! Energy & Exercise!

I have the same issue, and mine is a drop in blood sugar.  I eat a few Crunchmaster crackers with hard cheese about 30 mins before I workout.......then no problems.

Kim S.
on 1/7/13 5:22 am
Topic: RE: Alabama or Norte Dame

Roll Tide!

Kim S.
on 1/7/13 12:54 am
Topic: RE: Monday (National Championship Game Day- Roll Tide!) Workouts!

Can't use that game as an excuse!  What are you doing today??

I'm going for a short run with the grand pup when I get home today.

Kim S.
on 1/7/13 12:48 am
Topic: RE: Im bottom half heavy...

Well, you have the right attitude!  Get into the exercise groove NOW....that will surely help with long term success.

I too am a pear......boot camp, hiking, speed walking, walking lunges, running.........all good for the "backfield"...........

Kim S.
on 1/7/13 12:45 am
Topic: RE: I wish someone would have told me this after my surgery............

You hit the nail on the head!  You really do have to spend some time trying things that you may not like until you find what works for you.  Congratulations on finding your groove!

Kim S.
on 1/3/13 3:55 am
Topic: RE: Thursday Workouts!

Gonna get out of the office a bit early and go for a nice cool run in the sunshine!

Kim S.
on 1/2/13 2:50 am
Topic: RE: Weds Workouts

Will do P90X arms/shoulders tonight when I get home

Kim S.
on 1/2/13 2:49 am
Topic: RE: New Year/Tuesday Workouts/races/training

I attempted yoga....made it thru 25 mins but the pulling on the lower abs got too uncomfortable....

Kim S.
on 12/31/12 1:40 am
Topic: RE: Making a marathon decision

Nicole, you've got this!  I'm envious!  My old knees wont stand up for a full--ever! But I'm cheering you on!

Kim S.
on 12/31/12 12:47 am
Topic: RE: VSX Victorias Secret sports bra review

The VSX has excellent support.  It is their "maximum support" sports bra....it has molded foam cups and underwire, but you cannot really tell there is underwire.  The girls stayed put and the bra was very comfy.  It also looks good!  It doesn't smoosh your boobs into that big boob sausage like so many sports bras.

I had a lift, no implants.  I have to tell ya, my boobs are just amazing now!  I have NEVER had them where they are supposed to be....to have them actually be in the right place still amazes me.

I will definitely invest in a few more of these VS bras!

Kim S.
on 12/30/12 7:41 am
Topic: RE: VSX Victorias Secret sports bra review
Ran in mine today-OMG-best sports bra ever. Worth every penny-will be getting more!

Most Active