Baby food...?

Gorgeous84
on 4/25/12 4:55 am - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 05/18/12
Hey all,

Watching youtube and following people's GBS stories. A couple of them have done baby food for snacks (particularly the Graduates air puffs for a crunch factor) and they melt. Sugar is 1-2g - even in food jars.

So, is it realistic to think I may not need a blender (but putting this off- reluctant to shell out the cash) and that I could go through puree/mince stage with this?

Haven't had my diet for life class (tomorrow) but thought it seemed to obvious and so thought I would get your thoughts?

TIA,
Kelsey
There are risks and costs to a program; but they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction. -JFK

Lorieliz
on 4/25/12 5:27 am - Canada

Hi Kelsey,

No need to shell out the big bucks for a blender. Braun has a hand held that can make a slushie and is really reasonable priced. It's how I made baby food for my kids. Pulverize the food, spoon it into an ice cube tray, freeze it in little portions and then dump it in a ziploc. Saves money on waste too. Thaw or nuke as necessary.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

sam1am
on 4/25/12 5:53 am
I think that you would be fine with baby food for the beginning stages if the protein is high enough and you can tolerate it.  It tastes pretty bad!    Well the meat ones anyway.  I also believe that they are high in carbs, but with how little you will be eating in the beginning, its probably not a big deal. 

For the purree stage any kind of blender or mini food processor should do the job if you already own anything like that or watch for sales and you might get lucky to see a majic bullet or a copy for under $20.  You will often see them at yard sales as well.  I know that I didn't need mine for long, but for those who drink a lot of shakes, its probably a worthwhile investement.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/12 5:58 am
Magic bullet is great, and it really doesn't cost that much. I still use mine for shakes just for a change in pace or when I don't feel hungry.
msheavyhearted
on 4/25/12 6:55 am - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
I never needed any kind of blender for any of my post-op stages nor did I ever eat baby food (YUCK!!)

My favourite purees:

refried beans with cheese
cottage cheese with SF jam (seedless)
oatmeal
Greek yogurt

Even the things with a little bit of texture (ex:cottage cheese) I managed by just ensuring I chewed well before swallowing. My dietician was ok with my methods. Maybe speak to someone at your centre to see what they think.
Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

shiikay
on 4/25/12 8:17 am - Canada
RNY on 11/23/12
Baby food is expensive, besides being gross. :P For a lot less $ you can get a stick blender that you'll get tons of use out of for years to come! This is a fantastic model, and its only $20 at sears! http://www.sears.ca/product/hamilton-beach-hand-blender-with-whisk-chopper/611-000227421-59765C?campaign=rr_search_CategoryTopSellers_0_0

Happiness is not a destination; happiness is the ride Photobucket

Peel1234
on 4/25/12 8:58 am
agree with everyone else.  Baby food is yuk.  There are so many other options.  Tuna/Salmon pureed are my favorites in phase soft food.  Sooner you learn about normal food options in lower portions the easier the journey will be.Diane

Will take a kayaking trip summer 2012, freedom

PaulaToronto
on 4/25/12 9:55 am - Toronto, Canada
If you intend to do protein drinks you are going to have to buy a blender so that you can mix up the ice and flavourings.

I have a Cuisinart that comes with 4 travel sized mugs that you mix your protein drinks in and a larger sized cup for other things.  It minces, blends, purees, etc.  I got it on line at Caynes. It was 69 bucks and is closer to 100 in the stores.

I love it and use it at least twice a day. It cuts through ice unlike the Bullet.

I wouldn't touch baby food.  YOu will use the blender the rest of your life.  You deserve to invest in a tool to help you post surgery. 

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/12 11:23 am - Canada
I looked into baby food and didnt think it had enough protein to be worth the cost. For the cost of a week supply of baby food you can buy a hand blender that you can use well beyond the puree stage.
Blu-Diva
on 4/25/12 12:36 pm - Hamilton, Canada
I have herd about baby food too, not the graduate but the puree stuff.
Good luck in class tommorrow, Pm me with any info on baby food.
You almost there.

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Most Active
Recent Topics