Has anyone run a 5k or done a mini-triathalon post surgery?

girlgonewild123
on 5/20/12 4:02 am - Ottawa, Canada
 I 'm in Ottawa and thinking once I am all healed I would like to do one. Of the above and am wondering if anyone else has tried it.

Thanks, tracey
Gabygee
on 5/20/12 4:13 am - Canada
I'm not in Ottawa and I haven't done a 5k though I am walking a lot.
Had to give up the running due to (unrelated) health issues.

You're going to find there a  LOT of people on OH who either have done or are doing
runs.
Many of them started with the Running Room.
I did too - I started with the Learn to Run programme 10 months post-op, and it was great.

I think you will be gratified by the sheer number of responses you'll get

girlgonewild123
on 5/20/12 4:22 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Thanks!  I am hoping to find others.  There is mini-triathlon in July 2013 that I would like to do.
highlandbear
on 5/20/12 4:22 am - Canada
 I have done a 5, 10 and a half marathon. There is alot of runners here. I have also done to tri tri  triathlon and training now for a tri tri in june than a sprint in Sept. There is alot of work to training but so worth it I am hooked. i will be training all summer. i will start training in aug for my first marathon. Best advice to running start out slow. If you can do 10 min run 1 min of walking. If you can not do 10 and 1 than 2and 1. Find out what you can handle and slowly build. You want to build slowly so you don't hurt yourself. when you are ready to tri tri I would be very welling to share my training schedule with you. It comes from my trainer.
girlgonewild123
on 5/20/12 4:24 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Thanks!!
(deactivated member)
on 5/20/12 4:32 am - Canada
I run/walk 5k daily. My goal is to do the half Ironman. That's in my 5 year plan.

I think with all the runners here we should form our own running groups!
izzyw13
on 5/20/12 4:45 am - Mississauga Ontario, Canada
I started with 1 light pole  at a time -- walk 1 run 1..you will be amazed at have fast you will be running your first 5 k run....
As for what have I run..a number of 5 k's. 8 k's a 10 k and a 10 miler..
last  May I did my first half marathon (Mississauga) then last November I did my first full marathon (New York)..
Never give up..1 step at a time...YOU CAN DO THIS.....

Isobel....
isobelsmall.gif picture by lynnca1972

Monica M.
on 5/20/12 7:13 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
i did a 10 k, that was a year after surgery.

But 5 months after my surgery, i did a Learn to run program at the Running Room. By October i could have done a 5 k. Likely earlier than that, if i had put my mind to it.

OKNEE FE + 3
on 5/20/12 10:41 am
After surgery when I first started back at the gym, I still was too big to run so did a lot of walking on the tread mill, faster and faster.  I also could not run as I had an very unstable ankle, all the time is was walking top speed on the tread mill I felt like a young horse being bridled, held back, I dreamed of running.  The spring after my VSG I had lost enough to get my ankle rebuilt. . .a little over a year after my surgery I got clearance to go try running again.  I ran a 5 K on my second surgiversary. . .it was so liberating. 

Nothing is going to hold us back!!

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

Most Active
Recent Topics