First app with NP (Vanessa)

Chanelle1022
on 7/11/12 12:37 am
Today was my first appointment at the Ottawa WLC! I got my blood work done very early and went to my appointment with Vanessa at 8:30am.

She is not the warm and fuzzy type like someone mentioned to me, however she is nice and get's to the point!

I am happy with the overall outcome of this first meeting. However I am worried about the fact that she wants to go for a GI scope to see my stomach.... ok not sure why.. I suppose it is because when she asked about heartburn, i told her that I did occasionally get heartburn... sigh.. for the good of the greater cause right?!

I am also going to be getting a abdominal ultra sound and a visit with the psychologist because of past/present anxiety... not a huge deal :).

Thanks for everyone's support and also the directions to the parkdale clinic! I was very easy to find!

Quick question to those who have gone thru Ottawa... my next two appts with the nutritionist and the behaviourist are end of August, is it possible they will schedule me for the GI scope before these two appts , it would be nice to be getting some things done in the meantime while waiting for August 27th to roll around lol.

Thanks everyone!!!!!! I am excited!!! 
(deactivated member)
on 7/11/12 1:44 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 05/25/12
Congrats on getting through the Vanessa step...try not to let her personality get you down. She is very serious at the beginning but she does refer you to team members she believes you will need to see.
I met Vanessa in January she referred me to dietician behaviourist psychologist and for the upper GI as well.I waited a while for my scope and then shortly after I had met the surgeon and did my ED class and then started my Opti 3 days after that for 3 weeks. My guess is you'll be meeting the surgeon before Christmas. Just remember to call in occasionally to see if you can have appointments moved up...You will do great and you should be excited
Hockeymom73
on 7/11/12 1:56 am
RNY on 11/21/12
Chanelle,

I went for my appt and I also had Vanessa.  She was nice but as you say she's very down to the point and doesn't mess around. 

She told me that same thing when she asked about hearburn but she said she was going to refer to the doctor and would let me know if I needed to get a scope done or not.  So far, I have heard nothing back from her and assume that I don't need one.

I also had to get an ultrasound and It is very likely that you will get appt for the ultrasound in the mail.  I got mine soon after and had to get it done at the Riverside at 1pm in the afternoon.  You are to be fasting for 6 hrs when you go for the test so I basically just didn't eat from the night before since I would have had to fast from 5am. 

Make sure to fill out your paperwork for the nutrionist and behavourist.  And start making any changes to diet and exercise while you can.

Sophia

HW: 400.5 CW: 251.0 GW: 199

chipmunk_roasting
on 7/11/12 2:14 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada
straberryz
on 7/11/12 3:56 am - Ottawa, Canada
yay! were going to have surgery dates pretty close to eachother :) I dont know about the scope, but the ultrasound you will get in the mail. I had to change my date and time, called them, and got an appt 2 weeks earlier. Im calling the clinic every wednesday to0, to see if the psych has any cancellations so I dont have to wait till september :) things are moving along for you!!!

REF: October 3 '11 INFO SES: Dec 2 '11 NP :  June 13 '12 US: July 31'12 NUT/SW: August 1 '12 PSYCH: Sept 6 '12 MRI: Oct 3 '12 SURG CLASS: Nov 28 '12 MEET THE SURG JAN 28 '13 SURGERY FEB 20 '13

niceeyes72
on 7/11/12 4:43 am - Cornwall, Canada
RNY on 03/23/12
Congrats Chanelle!!
The scope is fairly routine, I had it done, local numbing spray in the mouth and a little dose of sleepy juice!! In and out in less than an hour. Mine was back in February..... You will need a driver that day... They won't let you go alone due to the "sleepy juice".
I deal with Aspen and like her a lot, Vanessa seems....... ok lol

I never called for cancellations but give it a shot!! Who knows, it could move you along faster!!
Best wishes!!!
Tam

Tam
Highest Weight: 365lbs
Clinic Weight: 325lbs
Clinic goal:190 lbs
Current Weight: 176.4lbs
My goal:165lbs
Surgery: Dr. Yelle Ottawa on March 23, 2012

Chanelle1022
on 7/11/12 5:00 am
 Can I just say.... how freaking awesome you all are :D!!

I enjoy coming here and reading responses and having conversations with y'all!

I am not sure who Aspen is lol, would it be the long blond hair woman at the reception desk?!

I am going to call in a few weeks to see if they have any cancellations for the nut and behav( have not been told to schedule with the psych yet... I guess I have to wait to hear for that?), I would like to move things along, but hey if it can't be done.. I've waited this long right?

My mom wants to come with me for the scope, I may be 26 but to her I am still her "baby" and wants to be an active caregiver while I go thru this, personally I'd rather my less high anxiety/worried boyfriend to come because he keeps me relaxed baha but hey he has to work and I need him to be able to take days off after I have surgery... soooo mum it is lol.

I am very pumped !!

Tammy, when is the next Cornwall mtg? I would like to attend! :)
niceeyes72
on 7/11/12 5:31 am - Cornwall, Canada
RNY on 03/23/12

Chanelle,
Aspen is the other NP ..... I can't recall ever having met Vanessa......

I had a friend drop me off for the scope, she was going out to have lunch and do some shopping with her daughter.... I was done and waiting before they finished lunch!! Dr. Raiche (one of the WLS surgeons did the scope) She is awesome!! A better surgeon than gurney driver!!! lol
BTW, you can be 40 and still a child to your Mom

The next meeting should be Aug 13 @ 6pm.

Tam
Highest Weight: 365lbs
Clinic Weight: 325lbs
Clinic goal:190 lbs
Current Weight: 176.4lbs
My goal:165lbs
Surgery: Dr. Yelle Ottawa on March 23, 2012

straberryz
on 7/11/12 6:36 am - Ottawa, Canada
They called me about 2.5 weeks after my NP appt and gave me a psych appt. the earliest they were able to give me was sept 6th. She told me that the initial consult with dr sandre (sp?), is only on thursdays....I have no idea how many psych's they have there.

REF: October 3 '11 INFO SES: Dec 2 '11 NP :  June 13 '12 US: July 31'12 NUT/SW: August 1 '12 PSYCH: Sept 6 '12 MRI: Oct 3 '12 SURG CLASS: Nov 28 '12 MEET THE SURG JAN 28 '13 SURGERY FEB 20 '13

straberryz
on 7/11/12 6:32 am - Ottawa, Canada
maybe im just too self absorbed, but I forget who I saw as a NP. She was thin, blonde, probably my height 5"8. is this Vanessa?

Most Active
Recent Topics