The age old adage "If you don't have anything nice to say. Then don't say anything at...

Lolabug
on 5/23/13 3:38 am - Canada
RNY on 07/23/13

I have found it too that I have gotten more out of the support group meetings. It was there that I saw how people were truly struggling more than a year out. It also solidified for me that RNY was really going to work for me rather than the VSG that I had been leaning towards.

I too do not do a lot of sweets (diabetes) and junk food. But give me some smoked meat/kolbassa, cheese (brie, cheddar, smoked, etc) and some crackers and I am a happy camper having dinner. I anticipate cheese to be hard for me and have already started using the Laughing cow and babybels (both light) to get in the habit.

In the past when I did a low carb diet, I realized that sugar was like a drug for me. The more I had, the more I wanted. So, knowing this about myself, I know that I will always have to limit that. Completely avoid? Probably not, more like plan and brace myself before I actually have some. Everything else in moderation. And "treats", never food related again.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 5/23/13 3:53 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

i've turned into even more of a carnivore then I was but I found options that I can live with. Some may be good ones for you to know so I am going to share:

Brandt has an extra lean kolbassa that is 3 g fat for 100 g meat (I can eat only 50 g very thinly sliced so 1.5 g fat is reasonable for me). They also have a turkey kolbassa and that has  g/100 g.

I found out Extra lean ground beef and ground veal have similar stats and the flavour is better if I mix it 1:1.

I like to do Bergeron Gouda from time to time. Mozzarellisima Lite is one of the only light ones that doesn't have a carb count way higher than the regular.

Walmart sells pre-grated cheese and they have a light cheddar/mozzarella combo that if you take a cracker, spread some laughing cow light, and dip it in cheese it is awesome. Throw in a bit of hummus if you want before you dip it in the grated cheese.

Crunchmaster crackers are wheat free, gluten free, corn free and work out to 8-9 calories a cracker. I've fallen head over heels with them. Everything in moderation of course but I really like these crackers because they have flax seed in them and that helps regularity.

Keeping treats as something not food related is a really good one... but at the same time food is not the enemy. We need to work with things and make things that suit our tastes and our lifestyle.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Lolabug
on 5/24/13 1:22 am - Canada
RNY on 07/23/13

True, agree with your last paragraph. But right now it's only food and that has to change.

i already buy the extra lean kolbassa, don't really like the turkey myself.  I'll now be on the lookout for those crackers. And thanks for the tip about the mozzarellissima lite.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 5/25/13 4:42 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

The crackers are at Costco & I prefer the extra lean over the turkey one also. I love the mozzarellissima lite...

I chuckled about your "it's only food" comment. It brought to mind one of my many peccadillos about food...

I've developed a mentality that no expense should be spared if it fits my plan, and suits my needs. A little crazy but I am finding I am not spending any more on groceries & food by doing it.

There are so many thoughts about food and our thoughts and emotions around it. One of the things I have found is that many will say something like "I can't justify the cost of *insert item/restaurant meal/etc* now.".

I've actually have had to take a step back and say to them "I don't feel I am worth less (less expensive foods/meals/etc.) because I eat less. I am still worth the same... Even if I cannot eat the same amount in 1 sitting." (Besides that is what sharing, or take home containers are for...)

That one has shocked a couple people I think... While I am still trying to figure out how extremely large portions of food we don't really need but could stuff into our selves became synonymous with a "good meal" or even a "good value". When I was younger a "good meal" was a 6 oz filet mignon, some baby potatoes, steamed veggies, and a reasonably sized desert portion. Or something along those lines... Served on a plate. Not a platter that is overflowing.

Just my weird adjustment in thinking.

Lolabug
on 5/25/13 7:41 am - Canada
RNY on 07/23/13

I hear you about the portion sizes. That is especially noticeable when I am in the states. Not that Cdn restaurants don't do it either, hello Red Lobster, I'm talking about you! When the meal comes on a platter, it's too much food.

I don't see myself never going to restaurants, just ordering differently. I imagine I'll ask myself, enough protein, can I take t home, can they grill instead of sauté, etc. I'm never afraid to ask for substitutions and such. And if I leave half but still enjoyed what I ate, that's okay.

eating is such a huge part of socializing that I know I'll still need to deal with it so that means ill do it on my own terms. Whatever it takes.

thanks for letting me know where the crackers are. I'll give them a try. 

While I can't change other people around me, I can change my own thinking. I'm going try things like a facial (I already do regular mani pedis), massage, something new whenever I reach a new milestone. I think I will plan that out so I know what I will be getting. Have you done something like that? I'm planning on a professional photo shoot once I reach my goal. Right now I hate having my picture taken. It always looks worse than I think I look! Lol

Can't wait for this ride to begin.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 5/25/13 9:55 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I am rather self indulgent there also at times, and a tad neglectful at others I think.

I know get a whole new wedding ring when I am stable for 6 months. But that is a practical issue.

I had intended to do it buy getting a few things here and there as I went in advance. I've learned to be careful and buy things that can work up or down 2-3 sizes.

• I bought a broach for when I lost 75 lbs total, and my daughter wore it without asking and it got broken.
  • I bought a few choice pieces of clothing in advance (or an attempt at "advance") so fitting into the xl zip up cotton sweater was my milestone over a set amount of pounds. This was a great purchase as I still wear it.
  • I bought a size X top I really wanted (size 12) and got a bit silly thinking I would try it on ahead of schedule and the silly thing fit. Interestingly I've not worn it because things got so warm, and then when they got cool again I still hadn't gone to buy a new red camisole so I could wear it and it is more sheer than the pictures indicate. *facepalm*

The one thing I will say is ask around and see if anyone has anything in their closet that is too big/too small/in the upcoming size ranges you will be going through. It is so important to self image to wear clothing that fits. I am not saying go out and drop loads of money... Lots of people are willing to contribute to the clothing situation even when you thought you'd be on your own there. Wash them, hang them by size, and when you go to put on pants that fail to fit reach for the next option in the closet. ;-)

I occasionally get mani-pedi's, etc. also... but started to realize any upgrades to hair/nails/spa like things were the goal treat that kept on costing because I was set on maintaining that ritual. It is the inner princess in me.

I know some who have done things like Pandora bracelets, etc. or trips away. It is truly so individual.

The funny/quirky thing about me making and meeting goals is that I will blow past one without even thinking about it so I have stopped setting defined ones... I just have a mini happy dance over things that I like (size 16 jeans, the size 12 dress, breaking the 250 mark, etc.) instead of defined goals. I am also not sure "what" and "when" to celebrate. For example... My ticker says 92 lbs lost. Which means since July 26th, 2012 (82 of that since Dec. 21st, and 67.4 of it since surgery).  Reality is that the number isn't my "high weight". That was a couple years back (Nov. 2009) and I am 121 lbs down from that I suppose so what am I suppose to celebrate. When am I suppose to celebrate? In 4 more lbs? In 8?

Cripes I got so caught up in celebrating when I lost weight in 2009-2010 that when I had lost 75 lbs it was this big "to do" and I only lost another 3 lbs, and maintained that for a while before I got nailed with prednisone and had a mass re-gain (21 lbs) in a week, and that repeated close to that twice more to put me at my program referral weight.

I can tell you the one thing I truly enjoyed as a milestone was getting my new drivers license and health card. I keep the old ones so I can look at them side by side any time.

Enjoy the ride! It is a heck of a rollercoaster but it certainly has a lot of ups!

Marny B.
on 5/23/13 3:42 am - Canada
I am sorry that you have had negative experiences with some people who were so hypocritical. That's not fun. I hope you pointed out to them, the error of their ways. I remember the first support meeting I went to. Someone there had a different type of surgery than me, and because they could, they sat in the meeting and ate an icecream cone in front of everyone. It felt a bit like a slap in the face. LOL
I have said it soooooo many times in so many threads: If you feel that someone is making a dangerous choice and they are asking for advice, by all means, call it out as a "poor choice", don't commiserate. However, you have to temper that with some info. about your experience and what worked for you that might help them out. If you aren't going to be constructive, then don't bother posting.

I'm glad for you that you are learning portion control and moderation and I hope it is a habit that stays with you for the rest of your life. My point was not specifically about cake per say. You could take out cake and insert X, Y, or Z...whatever your trigger foods are. It doesn't matter. I was just emphasizing, that for many, many people, early post-op is a time when we feel very mu*****ontrol. Our new physical anatomy makes it much easier to adopt good habits, and to emotionally disconnect from food. We are on a "high" of sorts. We feel capable of taking on the world.
The farther out, the harder it gets, because honestly, your body changes a lot. I heard vets say it, but I never fully realized the extent until now. To me, it was almost like a false confidence. Right now- at 2.5 years out, it's crunch time. My pouch and it's ability to hold greater volumes and to process more food, makes those "in moderation" habits that I thought I had down pat, much more difficult to keep, because my emotional and physical resolves are no longer balanced. I was trying to offer my perspective from where I am now, because honestly, I thought I had this whole thing licked in the first year post-op and now I am finding out where the real battle is.
In the light of my experience at present, I can't (myself), in good conscience advocate for someone to have a little taste of this or that as long as they are meeting all their other requirements. For myself, I feel that would be irresponsible of me to do that, and I feel like I should encourage people as much as possible to hold to that "hard line", to get them as far along as possible before they "break the seal", because I know what a slippery slope it can be and I don't ever want to be responsible (if even in some tiny way), for weakening someone else's resolve. Having said all that...in no way would I ever belittle someone for failure(not knowingly anyhow- who know how each individual percieves your tone in text,and without knowing you).

I would hope that "constructive" would be the tone of each person's contibution to this site, however, I'm not naive enough to think that will always be the case.....unfortunately.

Best of luck with your journey. I was checking out your progress pics. thus far, and you seem to be doing very well. Congrats. If in the future, you do post or need advice, I hope that I will be perceived as helpful, and constructive, and truly supportive

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

Cuter_w_Curves
on 5/23/13 4:46 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Marny I find your posts incredibly informative, and helpful when I read them.

I completely understand your perspective having seen how it was and how it is now for you. I have a sleeve and even I get frustrated with people eating things "just because they can". I can't eat things many RNYers can let alone people with sleeves or a DS, and I have to eat very carefully. Even with a VSG. Yes I eat what I want but what I want isn't off plan (outside of birthday related cake and even that is planned and factored in).

I can eat those couple bites of cake today (Red Velvet is what it is looking like BTW... Do I take a candle to be a dork?) but I can't have cold cereals with milk because my sugar spikes. Really badly. I am hypoglycemic since birth, and I basically have to make sure everything is tracked and regulated. I could be an ass and consume crap but I pay for it for days. I pay immediately with a sugar spike and I pay for days trying to prevent lows.

It is all about finding ways to make our choices work for us. I have holandais sauce. It is WLS friendly and 35 cal for a tablespoon. Made with greek yogurt. You wouldn't catch me eating the real stuff though. Choices.

I have to ask... Did the Wagon Wheel taste as good as you thought it would that day? Most say no when I ask things like that.

Thank you for the compliment. I finally loaded some new pics (May's)... And I really should take one today. Maybe tonight I will. If it seems to fit in with the evening out.

Shell

o3angelgirl
on 5/23/13 1:07 pm - Stratford, Canada

Shell,

You look amazing, truly amazing!!!  Congratulations!!  I am so glad to see you back, I have missed following you on here.  It`s funny when I started here on the forum January 2012 you always stood out to me.  I have looked up to you and appreciated every once of advice or comments that you have written.  You have a good heart and soul, don`t ever loose site of that! 

Take Care,

Cindy

Put your heart, mind, and soul into even your smallest acts. This is the secret of success.

Swami Sivananda

Cuter_w_Curves
on 5/25/13 4:45 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

*blush* Thank you Cindy!

Most Active
Recent Topics