3 days out, and still no....

EmAlways
on 8/28/16 7:51 am

Hey all, 

So I had my surgery on the 25th! Met a couple others ladies in there who also had it. I`m home now but still haven`t had a bowel movement since the surgery. And I`m struggling getting all this protein into me. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Referal 2014 (got lost in the system) Surgery - Aug 25th, 2016Humber River 

Humber River -  Surgeon: Dr. Hagen 

HW: 300  W @ time of surgery: 279  CW: 225

wiccandove
on 8/28/16 8:29 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

Have you been taking Senokot and stool softners?

crqvingchange
on 8/28/16 8:51 am

Don't worry, the first few weeks it's hard for everyone to get in all of the protein.  Just keep trying.  Have a clear protein drink (Atkins Lift, Dot protein etc) and set a timer every 15 minutes to get in 30ml.  Bowel movements usually take time because of the abdominal surgery.  You can use Restoralax 1/2 cap in a cup of decaf coffee, might help.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

White Dove
on 8/28/16 1:43 pm - Warren, OH

If you are taking pain medicine you may not have a bowel movement until you stop taking them.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MonaLisaSmile
on 8/28/16 2:31 pm - Canada

I remember having my first on day 5 post op, and them telling me that was average amt of time. 

You think to yourself....how could I even have any because I have ate nothing ......but you do!!!   After that first one, keep a close eye on it not to go more than 2 days or so without one.  The first few months I had horrible times, that I thought I would have to go to the hospital.  They were soooo hard and would not come out or get stuck (I know TMI but it was scary and awful and I wouldn't wi**** on anyone).  I bought and tried every laxative known to man.  It takes some trial and error to find your sweet spot.  Again what works for one person .....may not work for the next.  Some people have the reverse problem ( the runs) everyone is different .

Get an unflavoured protein you can add to things.  I couldn't stomach and artificial sweeteners or premiere shakes post op----even though I liked them pre op.  I added the sugar free unflavoured to everything in the beginning.  Its hard to get it ALL in , it gets better day by day and your tastes will change.  It took a few months and I was back to the GNC lean shakes and Premiere, and had better selection of actual food items. 

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

SkottiRNY
on 8/28/16 7:04 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 07/07/15

Hey EmAlways!

I hope you don't suffer too much. I forgot about the info on the sheet I got from Dr. Glazer....one of the most important things... Milk of Magnesia. After suffering for a couple of days, I pulled out that sheet and looked at it again.... doh! I painfully walked to Shoppers around the corner from me and got some. Took 2 med cups that afternoon, 1 before bed.... woke up at 4 am and ran to the batchroom....Kaboom! 

:)

If you haven't tried it yet, it wouldn't hurt to start.

Cheers,

Skotti

"Not every day is Fantastic, but at least I have the opportunity to live every day." ~ Skotti RNY

My YouTube Channel

HW: 419 lbs August 2014  - SW: 340 lbs - GW: 219 lbs 

RNY July 7, 2015

Most Active
Recent Topics