Hair Loss :(

GeorgianBay_Girl
on 9/1/17 7:13 am

The struggle is real :( I too at exactly 3 months started to lose it. Now I'm almost 6 months out and have to start plucking my eyebrows again so I know the hair is starting to regrow! It is crappy that we lose so much, but on the bright side, it could be a heck of a lot worse :)

Referral date: May 19, 2016 | Info session: July 12, 2016 | Surgeon Approval: December 2, 2016 | Pre Op: January 24, 2017 | Trio: February 9, 2017 | Surgery Date: March 3, 2017, Humber River Regional Hospital

Starting Weight: 253 | Post-Optifast Weight/day of surgery: 237 | Current Weight: 123.2

Kathy1212
on 9/1/17 7:26 am

I'm 7 months out and have been losing so much hair since about 4 months out that I'm surprised i have any left at all. Handfuls come out when I wash and condition my hair, and my brush is full ever day. I have hair all over my clothes and when I put a pony tail holder in, it comes out coated with tons of hair.

It's now growing back even though it's still shedding; i have all sorts of weird little hairs sticking out, but the new hair is all white! OMG; just what I need. My old hair has some grey, of course, as I'm 53, but the regrowth is pure white. I hate that. I already colour my hair but it was just to change the colour more than to cover grey; I hate that in future it will be to cover white hair. I did cut my long hair to just below shoulder length, which made things more manageable. I've always had thin, fine hair, but lots of it, so I guess I'm lucky as so far it doesn't look noticeably thinner or different...no bald spots or anything.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

fromfattohealthy
on 9/1/17 7:39 am - Canada

I am worried about it growing back grey too...I already have quite a bit of grey!

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

rce884
on 9/1/17 2:00 pm
RNY on 09/05/17

OMG this is making me so Uncomfortable. Reading all these posts. i am now thinking i may have to cut my beloved long hair. i know i know its just hair but i never took it too seriously when they said I would lose hair.

omg omg omg i am freaking out

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday!

Highest weight 311/ Weight day of surgery 271/One Month 257/ Two Months 247.5 / Three Months 241/ Four months 234/ Five months 228

fromfattohealthy
on 9/1/17 2:07 pm - Canada

I don't want you to panic. Honestly, I would do this surgery again either way!

I have heard a few things that can be tried but I don't know much about it or if it works.

Nioxin

Biotin

Monat products - they are a treatment not just regular shampoo and conditioner. Someone on my fb sells it and she sent me some samples.

i am going to try all the above anyways lol might as well!

Manda32
on 9/1/17 3:50 pm

I've heard of people using Biotin, but all that does is make your hair grow faster.

Pretty much have to ride it out. Mine started just before month three. It's not fun. I had shoulder length hair and recently cut it much shorter, for the same reason you did...but it doesn't stop it does it? lol

I hate washing and brushing my hair as there's always hair coming out. I just keep reminding myself it will grow back, hopefully it will stop in the next few months. My hair dresser did notice regrowth when I recently cut my hair, so that's good news.

I know its hard, I dreaded this, and hoped I'd be one of the lucky ones, as I have thin hair to begin with, but nope I wasn't spared.

Just remember it will grow back, and it will stop. I can't say when, as mine is still going strong, at 5 1/2 months, but I think between 6-9 months people generally notice it stopping or slowing down.

So hang in there! A lot of us are in the same boat...and as I keep telling myself is that my weight loss has been worth this sacrifice of hair. Not always easy, but its true.

Good luck to you.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

LettingLayneyLoose
on 9/1/17 6:40 pm

I feel your pain. I didn't do surgery but have just finished 18 weeks of Optifast and my hair is falling out in clumps. I've probably lost 30% of my hair already. It reminds me of the (temporary) postpartum shedding I experience after both my pregnancies so I'm hopeful it will start growing back soon.

HW: 299 CW: 165 GW: 150

Started Optifast on April 21, 2017 at 248lbs through the Ontario Bariatric Network medical program.

skinny_gigi
on 9/7/17 3:34 am

The way Dr. Reed explained it to me was post surgery out body doesn't have enough energy/calories etc. to make hair...based on the calorie reduction and malabsorption...eventually malabsorption does stop and our hair will come back! It's a small price to pay. I have super cropped hair now...it is what it is...

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

Most Active
Recent Topics