Surgery Cancelled after starting Opti

Tigress29
on 9/16/17 5:53 am, edited 9/16/17 6:28 am

I know it has taken me a while for this update but I was completely shocked and upset when I got the call that I was no longer eligible for surgery. I was already on day 3 of Opti Fast!

Don't think that they can't stop the process at anytime right up to the minute you get on the table. Apparently, as I found out, you cannot have mental health issues or the bariatric psychiatrist (pdoc) has the ability to stop the entire process.

My surgery had been scheduled for Feb 14, 2017 (that did not happen). After Christmas I became manic (which at the time I had no idea what that meant) leading up to the pre-op appointment. My own pdoc thought it was a problem and decided to involuntarily admit me to the hospital for a psyc evaluation. I explained to the pdoc on staff that I was just excited for my upcoming surgery and everything would be fine if they just let me out... apparently not.

Long story short my pdoc contacted the bariatric pdoc and the whole thing came to an end just like that. I got the phone call to stop Opti because I was not able to continue on with surgery.

Let me just say that the whole situation caused me to be hospitalized for 2 weeks very shortly after that phone call.

I'm not sure why I am telling my story but I guess I just want people with mental health issues to know that anything is possible because it happened to me.

On the bright side, I get to see the bariatric pdoc on October 18th to discuss my readmission into the program. It sucks but here we go again.

Referral October 2015, TWH Orientation December 7 2015, Nurse & Social Worker Feb 25 2016, Nutrition Class Apr 11 2016, Psychiatrist Apr 13 2016, Surgery Feb 14 2017, Surgery Postponed Jan 29 2017, Psychiatrist Oct 5 2017, Nurse Oct 25 2017, Meet the Surgeon Feb 2 2018, Revision Surgery Date April 10 2018

HW 336

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/17 7:17 am, edited 9/16/17 12:17 am

I am sorry but... precautions they take are for your own good.. the stress and magnitude of this operation are enormous... better safe than sorry. Your mental health is as important as your physical health! Take care and use this time to heal and prepare- hugs!!

Kathy1212
on 9/16/17 7:32 am

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Mania is awful to deal with and is usually followed by severe depression, which is also so difficult. I hope you're doing OK now. Good luck with round 2 of the process.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

eLoon77
on 9/16/17 8:34 am
RNY on 09/22/17

Very brave post. I'm sorry that you had your surgery cancelled but hopefully you're now getting the appropriate care you need to complete the program, have the surgery, and have it make the best possible outcome for your life.

Feb 17/16 - orientation TWH | March 3/16 - nurse | Nov 22/16 - Phone call f/u re-entry | Oct 18/16 - nurse | Nov 29/16 - nut class | Feb 16/17 - social worker | March 7/17 - nut apt | March 22/17 - psych apt | March 30/17 - team approved | May 5/17 - surgeon apt | June 8/17 - endoscopy | Sept 22/17 SURGERY RNY @TWH

fromfattohealthy
on 9/16/17 10:12 am - Canada

The positive is that you are able to get the help you need.

I struggled with anxiety and depression 13 years ago, but developed coping strategies and haven't really had to deal with it again except post surgery I have definitely had a few ups and downs. I believe dealing with your mental health before surgery is for the best.

Tigress29
on 9/16/17 11:35 am

I know that they did it for my own good but it was a very hard pill to swallow when it happened. I should have come to the message boards long before now. I appreciate everyone's words of encouragement and support.

I am super excited to see the pdoc in just over a month! I really hope from there I get to have my file taken to team and then get booked to meet the surgeon. I know, from experience, that this is what happens before the surgery is scheduled at TWH.

I wonder if anyone has made it to pre-op and had to visit the pdoc again at that time? I feel like I won't see him one more time and then everything will go as planned. I believe it will be a few more appointments with him. Apparently you need to be 1 year without hospital admission and stable for 6 months before you can go ahead with the surgery. Does that mean I have to wait another 5 months (I have only been stable since Aug)?

I have so many questions and I know that no one here has the answers to anything but input always helps and plus I love getting the support that these posts provide.

Dee321ca
on 9/16/17 11:41 am

I am very sympathetic to your situation, yet I agree with the rest - your well being is the first priority. There's a reason that mental Heath is one of the criteria in determining your candidacy in the program. It's such an emotional ride that things like that sometimes come out. Consider the delay and subsequent care as the first step in your overall journey to good health. It so great that you are already seeing someone to discuss reentry. I hope it goes well for you.

Manda32
on 9/16/17 1:54 pm

Sorry to hear you went through all that. However it was for your best interest, even if you felt like it wasn't. I'm sure I would feel the same way.

I hope you are feeling better, and in a good place now. I wish you all the luck in the world with getting back into the program.

Good luck!

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/17 2:48 pm, edited 9/16/17 7:49 am

Glad you shared.... anxiety, depression, panic and addiction are prevalent in today's society and I am sure many of us either suffer from it now or have been through it. Mania ( bipolar issues) is something that is not as common. The most important thing is to seek help, to get support and to practice coping strategies that assist you in navigating through the murky waters of life. I do not know one person who has not dealt with one or more of these in their lifetime--- thin or overweight--- both young and older. The key is to recognize when you cannot handle things and seek help--- then -practice what you have learned.

I know by reading what many people here are going through it has alleviated some of my anxiety over some of the issues of WLS. These ladies ( and gents) are brave and have had the courage to change their lives so they have earned have my utmost respect. The fact that they are sharing their experiences is such a blessing. So please stay on, share and congratulate yourself for continuing to try.

Squishy_in_the_middl
e

on 9/17/17 1:43 pm, edited 9/17/17 7:07 am

I also suffer major depressive disorder with a side of anxiety. I've seen the psych ward first hand. When I told my RPN about it last week she scheduled me to see the bariatric pdoc. That's not til December. Although my trip to the psych ward was over 2 years ago the WLS team still need to make sure that my meds are doing what they should be and that I am in that right frame of mind. I am inching closer to a surgery date every day.

My advice, one day one step at a time, you came so close the first time around. You're ready this time :)

Orientation- May 2017, Pre nutrition class- Aug 2017, Blood work- Aug 2017. RPN meeting- Sept 2017. Dietician and Psychiatrist Dec 2017. Internist- Dec 2017. Meet the Surgeon Feb 20th 2018. VSG surgery march 17, 2018 with Dr. Gmora

Most Active
Recent Topics