100lbs and next steps

Kaylar
on 4/22/18 7:55 am - Toronto, On

Hey all!

Just thought I'd check in. I'm now 6 and a half months post op, and as of yesterday I'm officially down 100lbs!

I'm really excited to have hit this milestone, but now that I've lost enough weight to be able to move more easily and am far enough out from surgery that I can up the intensity of my workouts, I'm looking at my next steps. I'm still in the honeymoon period, but if I want to maximize my weight loss and get to onederland I need to up my game.

For now I'm working at keeping my protein steady while working in more veggies and logging my food more regularly, and as a 100lb present/wearable progress reminder to myself I bought a Fitbit yesterday. It's a Charge 2, so on top of the usual stuff I'm really excited about the sleep cycle heart-rate monitoring and the guided breathing exercises. Love me some breathing exercises. :D

We already have a treadmill, and I've been working that in via my trusty old Zombies, Run! app, though I'm nowhere near it becoming a true habit yet. Once I have that a bit steadier I'm going to start working in some yoga. Gotta keep it to baby steps until I'm used to being regularly active.

If anyone around or after this stage has any tips I'd love to hear them!

Hope you're doing well!

Kayla

MichelleS61
on 4/22/18 8:18 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

Sounds like you're doing good so far, but track the food it does help to ensure accountability. I'm trying to get more regular exercise now too, hoping the warmer weather will help me get out walking again. Although everytime I seem to do a bit more I have an arthritis flare up, so I guess even though I've lost a bunch of weight and feel better a lot of the time, need to keep in mind my physical limitations. I've been thinking of yoga too, did it years ago along with tai chi and really enjoyed the improvements in balance and flexability.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

oneatatime
on 4/22/18 9:52 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Congratulations on 100 lbs lost. That is amazing!!! Your wearable gift to yourself sounds like a great choice for you. :)

You're doing great. Keep making choices that work for you. I just passed 100 lbs too (110 now) but I've had some pain (back at my Centre for exploratory tests to see what's wrong) so even though I was starting to exercise, it's on hold while i deal with some issues. Can't help you there... :(

Keep on keeping on and let us know how you're doing!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

crqvingchange
on 4/22/18 1:17 pm

Congratulations Kayla. You are right on track. These kinds of posts make me so happy. You are right to take advantage of every minute of your honeymoon phase. My suggestion would be to sign up for a gentle yoga class. It's a great way to start your body stretching and becoming more flexible without having to know all of the difficult moves yet.

Your Fitbit will sync with My Fitness Pal. It will log all of your exercise and show you calories burned. The weather is becoming nicer, so bike rides are always a good way to get outside, get some sun and exercise at the same time. If you don't have a bike, yard sales, Kijiji, the police auction sales are a good way to get a cheap bike. I started by biking to Tim Hortons. That way I knew I could rest, and have a coffee before heading home. The coffee was my reward for biking halfway.

Pedal to the metal, onederland is your next stop.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

SweetRide1
on 4/22/18 2:00 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

Congratulations! That's awesome. It sounds like you have everything well in hand.

I too have upped my exercise regime and it's amazing how much better I feel after being active.

Keep on doing what you're doing.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Tuktu
on 4/23/18 6:07 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Wow you are really rocking it! 100lbs already - good for you! I love my fitbit - keeps me motivated to walk and get in my steps. You are on the right path - keep it up!

Smoka
on 4/23/18 8:09 am
RNY on 09/12/17

Sounds like you are doing great! Congratulations!!

I hate to give advise because we are all so different. I only know for me, when I started I weighed 231 and the only exercise I could commit to and that I felt comfortable with was walking. I walked from the moment I woke up in the hospital and I still make sure that I walk at least 45 minutes a day.

Lifting weights has helped shape my physique - a lot! I don't think my body would be as strong or would even look the same if I only lost weight and didn't work on my muscle mass. (So far I have lost 80 pounds). Having said that, I really felt that I had to be ready to commit to 3x a week and I had to start slow and steady.

I too have added yoga. However, it is only now after feeling in great shape that I am able to do the poses properly and have really benefitted from it. I use to do yoga years ago when I was slim, and then for the past few years when I was obese, and now as I have lost considerable weight and strong from weightlifting. I have to say there is nothing more enjoyable than doing yoga moves when your body is cooperating!! It is an awesome feeling.

I wish you all the best with your successes!!

Barb

Referred May 2016, Orientation July 4, 2016, Pre-Nutrition Class March 31, 2017, Nurse April 10, 2017, Blood work/ECG April 13, 2017, Ultra-sound April 27, 2017, Psychologist May 30, 2017, Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy June 5, 2017, Internist June 13, 2017, Dietician June 14, 2017, 2nd Round of blood work August 2, 2017, Surgeon September 6, 2017, Surgery September 12, 2017 - St. Joe's Hamilton - No Opti

Height 5"4" HW 231 SW222 CW141

PreOp-9 lbs M1-20lbs M2-11lbs M3-13lbs M4-7lbs M5-8lbs M6-7lbs M7-5lbs M8-5lbs M9-2lbs M10-0lbs M11 - 0lbs M12 - 0lbs

Kathy1212
on 4/24/18 10:58 am

Congratulations, Kayla, you're doing great! 100 Lbs down, woohoo!

For my first year, walking, bike riding, and swimming were my best friends. Swimming was the easiest on the joints and burned the most calories, but bike riding was my favorite. I'm hoping to get my bike ready for my first ride today, now that the snow is finally gone, or mostly gone. There's still snow on the shady sides of the streets but I can work my way around it. If not, I'll just head out for another walk.

I hope you enjoy your fitbit. I keep forgetting to wear mine, lol.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active
Recent Topics