Recent Posts

Kalikima
on 3/9/16 11:27 pm
Topic: I need help! Please!

Hello! 

I'm Nickie, and new to this site. I got gastric bypass in 2001-02 after I went off the pill for the first time since 14 yrs old and went on them for my horrific periods, and gained over a 100 lbs in less than a year. When they figured out I had PCOS (and that the depo shot doesn't work like BCP) my doctor suggested bypass. After my surgery I lost weight scary fast, and my doc gave me some tips on how to slow it down. I settled at 160 lbs, size 12, and was extremely happy with it. I maintained that weight for about 8.5 yrs, and suddenly I started losing weight. I wasn't trying, my diet and exercise was the same. No one I saw could tell me why. 

After I got done to 115, in an 8 month period, my doctor got worried since it showed no signs of stopping. She came up with a way to stop the loss, and how I could slightly gain to get back to a healthier weight. But before we could start, she left to have emergency surgery, and left the notes for the doctor taking over my care. 

To make an already long story short, she screwed up completely and when my doctor returned almost a year later I was actually pretty much where I was when I had the surgery 10 yrs earlier. She was in shock when she saw me, found the mistake and took me off the meds. It stopped the gain, but I can't lose either. But nothing is working out this time. I'm on the highest dose of metformin allowed, as they decided that once again I couldn't lose because of the PCOS. I went to the weight loss clinic at the UW, and they did an X-ray with barium and found (to their complete shock) that in the 12 yrs since my surgery, my pouch hasn't changed. They said that after 12 yrs, my pouch should be stretched out to a somewhat normal size. But mine is barely more than the tablespoon it was. 

So I can't lose the weight the traditional way, they can't go in and "tighten me up", my diet isn't fantastic but healthy enough and under 1000 cals a day, and my exercise is the same if not better. So does anyone have any ideas, tips, advice, a hitman they can send after my "doctor" or is willing to lock me in their basement (only if you have a/c, summer is coming****il I lose this weight? The first time I gained, I felt like crap, but this time around having been smaller and *healthier* I can actually FEEL my body screaming from the extra weight. And since I have other health issues that are badly affected by the weight gain. I need some help please! 

Thank you for reading this book and for any replies, 

Nickie 

Madrina
on 3/3/16 6:07 pm
VSG on 12/23/15
Topic: RE: NEW-scared and needing support!
  1.  Yes. I'm Mexican so miss flour tortillas and beef but have been able to make healthier versions of what I ate before. 
  2. I had the VGS because this was recommended by my endocrinologist and gynecologist for my PCOS. But I guess it will be based on the amount of weight you need to lose and medical conditions. 
  3. Healing was not that difficult. Immediately post surgery was the worst, but thank god for pain meds. Just prep your post meal planning. That made things easier so I didn't have to leave my house to shop for stuff. 
  4. My hubby was supportive and shocked by the quick transformation in my body. He's excited to see me healthier, but admittedly is becoming insecure because of his weight. We have been together 20 years so we will weather this storm. He keeps making jokes about how he's the fatter one now that I weight less than him. 
  5. . I agree that Pinterest is great for recipe ideas. There is one website that I ran across called twosleevers. Husband/wife duo and their journey. Used a couple of their recipes. 

Good luck. 

Madrina
on 3/3/16 5:56 pm
VSG on 12/23/15
Topic: RE: did alot of your PCOS symptoms go away once you lost weight?

Only a few months out. Only improvement in acne. Facial hair is still a problem. My menses are more regular. Will let you know if the hair situation improves with more weight loss. 

kristyt3224
on 2/5/16 8:36 pm
VSG on 02/12/16

Congratulations, your weight loss is awesome.  You are deep sistah! I appreciate the reminder that I may stumble, which doesn't equate to failure, if you get back up.

NYMom222
on 2/5/16 2:44 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

There really aren't any foods to miss... you can if you want take a bite of anything.... can you take 20 bites? No. The deprivation is misplaced. What you will gain is so much greater...

We were all overwhelmed at some point, the fact that you have been thinking about it for a long time is actually a good thing....this is a life change, not a rash decision.

Even if your husband is not interested in WLS is he interesting in supporting you? Then you have to answer the question, what does that look like? realizing you may not totally know the answer to that until you are on the journey. Like snacks not kept on the counter- hidden in the closet so they aren't a temptation. Or if there is something particularly tempting, he would only eat it out of the house. Being willing to eat healthy meals you prepare... You also have to be willing not to make his life miserable by policing what he is doing... Everybody has their own journey.

Websites: World According to Eggface

Bariatric Foodie

Weight loss surgery foundation of America

Bariatric eating.com

Most of these have FaceBook pages as well...

There is a lot of info on this website too if you search the menu....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

WereYorkie
on 2/5/16 9:30 am
VSG on 05/11/15

Welcome to the group, Kristy!

I reread my post and thought, "Damn... I'm deep!" 

Just to give you a heads up... I am 6 days away from my 9 month Post Op date (May 11) and my year anniversary from my initial consult (Feb. 14, 2015).

Highest weight was 340... I weighed in at my Initial Consult at 327.8.... Surgery weight--296. This morning--208.2.  

It's been a short, but eye opening road... You HAVE to deal with the mind issues. HAVE. TO. or you will end up putting the weight back on.  And you don't just deal with it once... it's an issue that will crop up every few months. I think that the habit of yo-yo dieting comes into play and you learn to break it. But... you can stumble and keep on walkin' rather than falling flat on your face.  

Could I ever have imagined this a year ago???  Yes and no... Yes, I knew it was possible, but no, I couldn't fathom it actually happening to me.  This kind of freedom can be so overwhelming some times... but it makes me so grateful. 

If you have any questions or any concerns... please pop me a message! I'll be happy to answer.

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

kristyt3224
on 2/4/16 8:28 pm
VSG on 02/12/16

I know this post is older, but I'm a newbie and I love what you said.    "No... when I had that long....lllllong talk with myself, I had no qualms of changing to a healthier lifestyle. I'd rather be living the life I deserve than slowly dying with a burrito in my hand."

Great inspirational quote for me today.

Thanks

kristyt3224
on 2/4/16 8:27 pm
VSG on 02/12/16
donimen
on 12/26/15 1:05 pm
Topic: RE: HELP! PCOS with insulin resistance. over 1 year most op with minumal weight loss

Do you still havie dumping syndrome or it resolved by itself!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1069 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 3021 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3623 views