Protein Powders for the Clueless Newbie

Rouxful
on 5/6/11 7:36 am, edited 5/6/11 7:37 am
So here I am, pre-op and six weeks out. I can't believe it's coming up so soon. My pre-op diet, which I'll be starting at the end of this month, calls for a mostly liquid intake of protein. Most of the mixable protein shakes I've seen at the store are those hideous tubs of "WHEY PROTEIN - BULK UP WITH MENERGY!" and are loaded with sugar and carbs, which is precisely what I DON'T need to shrink my liver for surgery. I've been having Atkins Day Break chololate shakes for breakfast, but they're expensive and a little small, and it would be nice to add a little variety. Can you guys point me a a specific brand and type of mixable protein shake that I can buy and drink without feeling guilty or hungry?

My nutritionist recommended Myoplex, but most of the products I've seen from them still have sugar in them. Can you guys point me in the right direction and help shed some light on my pre and post op diet? Thanks!

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

psx chelly
on 5/6/11 7:41 am

Syntrax Nectar 0 fat, 0 sugar, 0 carbs 25g protein per serving(scoop).  All flavors taste like yummie fruit juice unless you buy the vanilla or chocolate.  I mix with 11oz Viatmin Water ZERO

www.vitalady.com  she sells samples so you can try the flavors to see if you like them.

chrisgraves
on 5/6/11 10:26 am - MA
I second this recomendation.  Currently drinking Lemonade!!!!  total yum
gochristy1971
on 5/6/11 7:41 am - CA

Go to vitalady.com.  Get some samples of some and try them.  She only sells protein powders that are "for us" post-ops.  That way you can try a bunch and find one you can tolerate.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/6/11 7:44 am - OH
You have time, and you are going to need to find something you can drink after surgery, so I would go to www.vitalady.com and order a bunch of protein samples.  That way, you can find out what you like and DON'T like without buying a whole tub.  Look for ones what are whey protein isolate when possible and do NOT buy anything that has collagen protein in it!  Be sure to get some samples of the Syntrax nectars (the fruit flavors are like a thick Crystal Light rather than a milky shake).

Also, if you can find a vanilla you like (I like Unjury Vanilla and Syntrax Nectar Sweets Vanilla Bean Torte), it is extra versatile for adding other flavors (SF syrups, fruits, SF puddinbg mixes, etc.) to it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Rouxful
on 5/6/11 8:17 am
 Thanks guys! I do like the thick milkshake type drinks, such as the chocolate, or to a lesser extent, vanilla. My nutritionist recommended mixing protein powders with skim milk. Is this a good idea, do you think?

Rouxful
on 5/6/11 8:20 am
 Looks like Vitalady is located 30 minutes from my house.

anabeth413
on 5/6/11 8:57 am - brielle , NJ

after surgery you might not be able to tolerate anything thick...i thought i was up sh&ts creek after surgery when i found myself not being able  to choke down any i mean any shakes! my poor father developed a friendship with gnc and vitaworld dudes..he had to go there so many times to get me all different kinds of stuff so i could try and get something down!! it took a couple of months a verbal kick in my butt post from susan here but i found what works for me!! dont give up if you find yourself having trouble with shakes after surgery! good luck :) 

shirleyfhoffman
on 5/6/11 9:11 am - CA
I LOVE my protein powder! I got birthday cake flavor and mint mocha flavor from About Time protein powder. But I ordered it from Lucky vitamin cause it was WAY cheaper. The About Time protein powder is the only one that I've tried and didn't smell like a fart!

HW:340 SW: 292 CW:164 GW: 140-130

immafatgirl
on 5/6/11 1:04 pm - KY
lmao
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?