Why can't I sleep?!?

Jenny_D
on 6/24/11 1:46 pm - Canton, GA
This is the third night in a row that I cannot fall asleep. It's hard to describe why. It sort of feels like I need to get up and run. My body does not want to lay still. I feel very uncomfortable when I try to lie in bed and no matter how much I toss and turn, I can't settle down. I'm antsy.

When I finally do fall asleep, I wake up pretty much hourly all night.

Anyone else go through this? Is it something RNY related? The vitamins? The protein?

I need to figure this out because I am exhausted!!
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

me_and_da_boyz
on 6/24/11 2:07 pm - Canada
Have you had your iron checked... I have the same problem, but mine's restless leg syndrome from anemia.  I just keep moving, can't get comfortable, am constantly "running into things" in bed adn waking up.

Just a thought, however, if you're not sleeping check in with your doctor, b/c you can't heal if you can't sleep.

Heather

TamaraL
on 6/24/11 2:11 pm
Mine was hormones.  YOu could try melatonin.  My lack of sleep was so bad I started taking tylenol pm which the surgeons office said I could take

Tamara

Jacobsmama08
on 6/24/11 2:37 pm - Morgan Hill, CA
I couldn't sleep either for about a month after surgery... don't know why but I tried a few things, melatonin was one, I'd fall right to sleep and be up 2 hours later. Sucks. I was exhausted, too. I started sleeping again about a month out. Don't' know why, but now, at 7 weeks, I am sleeping like a dead person.

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

Jenny_D
on 6/24/11 3:05 pm - Canton, GA
I was sleeping great since surgery until the past few days. It's so annoying. I even tried taking my Roxicet, which was always good at knocking me out, but it doesn't help.

How could hormones keep me up?

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/24/11 10:18 pm
It may be anything. But check the following
1. B12 - need to be taken in the morning. Otherwise - it may keep you awake (same with multi, Bcomplex)
2. Low iron - Ferritin may lead to muscle pains like in  RLS syndrome
3. Try to take magnesium and calcium before bed. They relax you and you muscles.  
4. and the hormonal thing... 
5. sometimes we need a snack before bed to keep our blood sugar steady, when the sugar drops the body releases hormones to keep it elevated and that will keep you awake. I usually have some cheese or nuts... but never just carbs.. If I do eat just carbs (even good carbs) I may fall asleep but I will be up in 2-3 hrs - with low BS....  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Jenny_D
on 6/25/11 12:23 pm - Canton, GA
Thanks, Hala. These are some things I can try.

1. I do take my B-12 at bedtime. I'll start taking it in the AM.

2. I haven't had post-op labs done yet, but I've had iron-deficiency anemia before (during pregnancy) and I am not showing any signs of that yet.

3. I do take calcium close to bedtime, but I don't take any magnesium (aside from my multi, but that's in the AM).

4. Still don't know what the hormone thing is.

5. I've been having a shake in the evening made with Unjury vanilla protein, Hood Simply Smart milk and a bit of fresh fruit.  Oddly...I started doing that the same time I started having sleeping trouble. Could a protein shake be the culprit?

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/26/11 3:18 am

The vit B12 at night may be a huge impact.  My BF knows exactly when i took my morning B12 shot  (once a week). 
Also the shake you describe may have an impact. 
Some stuff in that have artificial stuff (sweeteners, flavors, etc.)
also the sugar in the shake would make me going until I crash, then I would be awake again due to reactive lower blood sugar.
Try something more natural: i.e. cheese or cottage cheese (with no added artificial stuff - some of us get reaction to that... you not being able to sleep may have something to do with that)
Also - take, you may want to take magnesium oxide just before bed. Not only that thing relaxes me, but the next morning I have an easy BM... first thing am.  
I do eat things before bed - but only something that takes time to digest - like cheese, nuts, nut butters... or if I do protein shake - I make sure there is combination of proteins and fat. No sugar and no artificial things in it. 
You may not think there is an issue - but some study shows that artificial color and flavors affect some children and these factors are many times blamed for ADD symptoms in children.
I do believe that because our guts have been rehanged - and the small intestines connects to the pouch - the artificial things may affect us more that we think they are. 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/11 3:46 am
Hala, what/how much magnesium oxide do you use?  I think I need to add this....

tori
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/27/11 12:19 am
It varies from day to day. I use capsules - that way I know that the mag get
used " by the system. Typically I use 800-1200 per day on top of what is in my multi.
But I adjust daily.
i.e. If my BM that day was loose, then I only take 400 before bed, but of it was more "solid" or not enough or I had to strain - then I take 1200-1600+ that day. Over the day and then maybe 800 at night. 
It is CRITICAL to drink enough water - liquids during the day. the mag will draw the water to the colon - and if you have not enough - that will not happen - or if that will happen - you may end up with dehydration symptoms (i.e thirst, dry mouth or... muscle cramps.)
If I do get muscle cramps - I would drink extra water with minerals.   

If a day I get loose BM - then I may not take any extra mag oxide or just take 400 at night..   
Typically I take 400-800 during the day  + 400-800 at night.  

Most Active
Recent Topics