Worried! Not enough Weight Loss after One Month Post OP

TheChubbyRN
on 7/29/11 9:44 pm - Oakland Gardens, NY
 Hi, I had Gastric Bypass Roux en Y on June 28th and so far I have lost a grand total of 12 pounds. I am not sure why my weight loss is so slow. Any ideas, guys?
LossLeader
on 7/29/11 10:01 pm
These things are really individual. I know somebody who lost no weight for six months. 12 pounds isn't too bad.

Highest weight: approx. 293
Pre-fast weight: 284
Surgery weight: 274
Lowest weight:163
Current weight:182 

shannon0731
on 7/29/11 10:01 pm - LA
I am in the same boat as you!! I am not questioning or moaning about my 12 pounds lost since July 5. I know I am a "lightweight" by this board's terms--having 75 - 80 pounds to lose. I am just wondering if I am doing everything right.  Because of some misguided information by the dietitian, I just in the last week upped my protein intake from 40 grams to 65 grams-the goal being at 70-80 grams in the next few days.  I am drinking around  64 oz of liquid a day, with pure water being about 16 oz, milk 8 oz and crystal lite making up the difference. I am getting my protein from shakes,  LF cheeses and FF Greek yogurt.

So anyone can give the two of us some ideas of if we are on target or if there is something we can do?

thanks!

I'm Ready!

LossLeader
on 7/30/11 12:26 am
I find that fish contributes enormously to protein intake. Light, flaky fish like tilapia is easy on the pouch, has almost no fat and is very very high in protein. I can eat five ounces at a sitting with no problem.

Price S.
on 7/29/11 10:04 pm - Mills River, NC
Hard to know with the information given.  How much do you have to lose? Did you lose a lot before surgery?  Are you getting in your fluids and protein? Are you following your program from the Dr? 

We all lose at different rates.  That is 3lbs a week and not bad since you probably had to lose water weight from IVs also.  Follow the plan and it will happen.  Forget the scale.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

TheChubbyRN
on 7/29/11 10:23 pm - Oakland Gardens, NY
 Hi, I started the pre op liquid diet on June 1st, and lost a total of 16 pounds till surgery date of June 28th. Since surgery I have lost 12 pounds. I am taking in enough protein every day. I try to drink atleast 50-60 ounces of fluids. I have started working out and do half hour of elliptical 3 days a week. 
My question is that I figure that the body is resisting losing weight and holding on to it. But usually how long do the stalls last, and when they do take place how long before speedy weight loss takes place.
poet_kelly
on 7/29/11 11:21 pm - OH
Stalls are when you don't lose any weight for several weeks.  Losing 12 pounds is not a stall.

The suggestions I have for you is to increase your fluids (you need at least 64 oz every day) and to exercise more than three times a week.  The weight will come off.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LossLeader
on 7/30/11 12:29 am, edited 7/30/11 12:29 am
If you're exercising and  following strictly your doctor's diet there may not be much you can do, except perhaps increase your fluid intake and increasing your exercise. It's a mathematical certainly that subsisting on just a few hundred calories a day will result in weight loss, but sometimes the body resists.

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/29/11 11:17 pm - Windsor, Canada
What are you eating?  That can make a difference.
How much are you exercising? That can make a difference.

You really need to post specifics.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

labellavita1982
on 7/30/11 12:35 am - Neenah, WI
I couldn't work for a month after my surgery. It was my surgeons advice. All I could really do is walk. So make sure you are getting your walks.

HW-500lbs SW-381 CW-235 GW-185
Steph
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 87 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 260 views