1 Month Post Op RNY and only 9 pounds???

Reddheadd7
on 8/3/11 2:10 pm - CA
Really??? I think God has it in for me...well 9 lbs as of today. Tomorrow will probably be back up 2 lbs. This is ridiculous! Was my body so out of whack? I mean, I lost 38 lbs in 4 months by myself which is about 9.5 lbs average a  month. There's no way I can be eating even 500 calories a day. My activity has been wiping down walls and painting inside my house for the last 8-9 days. That's not an easy task! and I'm not done yet! I'm getting all my protein in but I need to track my water better. I just don't get it...

It's exciting seeing everyone losing weight and doing good but when is it MY turn?

Tenaciousc1974
on 8/3/11 2:18 pm - CA
That sucks maybe one of the vets will have some ideas. Hang in there.
Chris

start/pre-op/current/goal weights:  286/240/138/130

Jacqueline F.
on 8/3/11 2:31 pm - Flagstaff, AZ
Hang in there it will get better...month one is always a shot in the dark because you gain anywhere from 10 - 20 lbs in water alone during the surgery... so you lose that first then start to lose the weight after that loss.  So realistically, you are doing well.  Don't give up so fast!  You will do well and it will get better!

Best of luck,

Jackie

poet_kelly
on 8/3/11 2:44 pm - OH
Oh, I'd be frustrated too.  I see these posts all the time where people are complaining that they only lost 30 pounds the first month and I think they are nuts to be unhappy about that... but anyone would be unhappy about just nine pounds.

One thing that comes to mind is that you probably aren't getting enough calories.  When we don't get enough calories, our body gets scared that it's gonna starve.  So it adjusts our metabolism so it holds onto to everything.  It's trying to keep you from starving.  It's a mechanism that's left over from the caveman days.  Was a great thing way back then when people relied on hunting for food and you never knew when the next wooly mammoth would come along.

I know it sounds backward and we're all so used to trying to eat less so we could lose weight.  But you need more than 500 calories a day.

Other than increasing your calories, I think I'd make an appointment with your surgeon to talk about what might be slowing your weight loss down.  I don't know what it might be, but it may turn out to be something that's simple to fix.  But I'd make an appointment with a dietician too, so you can figure out how many calories you need and stuff like that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Shanneee
on 8/3/11 2:45 pm - MN
Stay strong, friend!  Your body is probably in shock and storing fat because it thinks you are starving.  Try taking in a few more calories each day and the pounds will fall right off!

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 8/3/11 9:36 pm, edited 8/3/11 9:36 pm
I came home from surgery up 20 lbs.  The first week home I lost that and was break even.  The next two weeks I lost maybe 5 lbs. total for both weeks.  It wasn't until sometime in week 4 that I started losing.  So fear not,  you will lose.   I am following that pattern in month 2 as well.  I had 2 weeks with very little loss and one week of a big loss.

One thing to keep in mind is that you  lost 38 lbs prior to surgery.  So you got a head start and probably slowed down your initial loss.

Winnie

Shellyonherweigh
on 8/3/11 9:41 pm - Canada
I am 4 months out and still only loose on average 10 lbs a month, I guess my body is happy to do that I cried I got frustrated and then decided to just deal with it, I lost more weight alone before the op than I am now. I was 320 lbs to begin with so im not a light weight, I do everything right and still up and down all the time first month I lost 11, and I only seem to loose  one week a month, Throw away the scales and just live healthy
franjellica
on 8/3/11 10:24 pm - PA
I feel the same way you do? I have the same problem in fact I havent lost anything in 2 weeks and I uped the excersise.

HW 300  SW 287  CW 186 Surgery Date May 5,2011          

LoraLeeME
on 8/3/11 10:52 pm, edited 8/3/11 10:53 pm
What the others have recommended about calories is a good idea. Maybe talk to a dietitian to get some ideas. I try to increase or double my protein to jump start weight lost. I lost about 20-25 lbs in the first month, after that it was 2-5 lbs per week. I have lost 80 so far. Seems tuna works the best for me. I experimented with different proteins and fish helps me loose more weight. I don't know if there's a real reason behind, but it seems to work.

It could be that you're not eating frequently enough. My doctor said he would rather see me eat 4-6 times a day (about 2oz) to keep my engine running. I find this to be true. On the days, when I have no appetitie and I don' t eat as frequently, I do have a weight loss stall that week. More frequent meals is supposed to keep your metabolism higher.

Good luck to you.

cajungirl
on 8/3/11 11:44 pm
How much protein are you getting in?  What about liquids?

As a side note,  you lost lots of weight before surgery and that COUNTS too.  I have seen trends like this with people that lose a large amount pre-op.  You've lost 34.7% of the excess weight you want to lose.

Yes it's frustrating, stay off the scale for a while. 

Did you take your measurements pre-op?

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
Recent Topics