CARBS

AmberLee72
on 8/21/11 2:52 pm
     I am over two months out and still crave them. I am always confused and guilty about them as well. My nut moved me to my final stage (2 weeks ago) where I can eat carbs...whole grain carbs though such as whole wheat bread, brown rice and wheat pasta etc...but because I see how people are so against that stuff on here it makes me guilty. She told me to not take everything on here so seriously and that whole grains in moderation are ok and good for fiber.

My friend who had surgery 3 months before me has lost a TON of weight! Way too fast actually. She is down over 100lbs in 5 months and our surgeon said she was losing too fast yet I know she eats whole grains everyday. So I am just confused. Alot of people on here only get carbs from milk, fruits and veggies and lose alot of weight....then you see/meet people who just eat pretty "normally" and don't deprive themselves of things. They just eat very small portions and are always mindful of what they are eating. I don't know...Its just confusing I guess.

I love the support on this page but at the same time I think it makes me a little paranoid. The people I know that have had the surgery but are not on this site seem to just live life and not have as much guilt as I do and eat in moderation. (They are all successful btw) Truthfully I feel that everyone just loses different. I know some people on here eat super healthy and exercises daily and never reach there goal or hit multiple long stalls....and then others who eat super healthy but are EXTREMELY successful....Everyone is truly different. I also know people who eat way better than they did before but still eat the occasional oreo or candybar (which I do find shocking) and lose all the weight they need plus some and keep it off. I just don't think they're is a true rhyme or reason to it all. I have been eating very good and I track all my food. I don't plan on slacking off but I do want to incorperate whole grains like my nut told me I should. I just feel alot of guilt about it and might try to hold off a little longer. How do you guys feel?
Sasrah1972
on 8/21/11 3:02 pm - NY
I am totally with you--I feel the same way. At this point, I've tasted bites of ww bread, brown rice, but I am sticking to the following carbs at this point.

Quinoa (whole grain, tons of protein for a carb)
Bulghur (same as above, nearly as much protein as quinoa)
Kashi GoLean cereal (not crunch, tons of proten and fiber)

I am not mentally ready to go back to eating pasta or bread, that's for sure.
Ladytazz
on 8/21/11 3:08 pm
I avoid all refined carbs but that is because I am addicted to them.  I have known that for a long time but I always tried to have them in moderation and I always wound up eating them uncontrollably.  I learned after failing my first WLS due to my addiction that I am not one that can eat them moderately.  There are a lot of people who can and do.  The key is being honest with yourself.
I get in whole grains.  The only things I totally avoid is sugar (and other forms like honey) and wheat.  I eat rye crackers and wheat free, gluten free crackers.  I eat things like vegetables, fruits and dairy and get in plenty of carbs that way.  I can eat oatmeal and oat bran, along with flax meal.
My biggest problems were things like bread, cakes, candy, pasta, cookies and things like that.  I can have sugar free candy in moderation and I make things like minute muffins, which are made from flax meal.
I guess what I am trying to say is that the only way this is going to work is for you to find out what works for you.  If you can eat things in moderation and don't start craving those things then why not have them?  The only thing I do advice is that if you want to reach goal it may be a good idea to hold off on those things until you get to where you want to be because the weight loss window is relatively short and it is best to maximize it any way you can.
Many successful post ops are fine with half a cookie or a few bites of cake.  Just like I am fine with a few bites of a potato.  I know that doesn't cause me to want more.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

SweetLilyAnn
on 8/21/11 3:17 pm - TX
Hey Amber: I am a day ahead of you and MAN YOU HAVE DONE GREAT on your weight loss. I think that you just need to be aware of what your triggers are and if you can handle Carbs in moderation....and not let it control you, then GO FOR IT. Sweets are not my trigger, it is carbs that I have difficulty with. So far, the only carbs that I have had are small whole wheat carb control tortillas (smaller than fajita size) and I and doing fine with them. I am doing my best to adopt the idea that "everything in moderation", but I understand your fear in relation to carbs - and the scary stories that you hear - but we need to be brave and to trust ourselves. This is what this journey is all about. Trusting yourself. I am not sure if this helps you or not, but I understand your fear and you have to trust someone. If your NUT said it is ok and you would like to have it. Then I say....go for it.

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

seattledeb
on 8/21/11 3:17 pm
I love carbs. So do you. Your body loves them for the quick energy they provide. You NEED carbs to survive.
That being said..early early out your pouch is so small that it's hard just to get the protein you need. Also we malabsorb  the calories from protein and fat. Not so much from carbs since they start digesting as soon as they hit your mouth (hence the happy feeling they provide..INSTANT energy!)
Carbs are also good for your bowel health, micronutrients, and to add variety to your diet.
How I incorprated them in my plan early out was eat my protein first and then some carbs after. That way I would fill up mostly on the protein.

Do I eat carbs now? Of course. The carbs that cause me problems are toast and cheetos. They both are comfort/binge food for me. I may have a small pouch but I can mindlessly munch on toast all day long. I remember when a  1/2 piece of toast would seem like so much.

I guess you get that message here because there are a lot of carbs that once you start eating them they kinda make you want to eat them more. You fill up on junky carbs  (and lets face it..there are tons of junky carbs out there...try most of the shelves at the grocery store!)

I think you hear that message because people want you to have the maximum benefit from your surgery. I don't ever want to read another post from someone a year out who says they can't stay away from the junk carbs..but I know those posts will be here everyday.

You will find what works for you. For me..minimizing junky carbs (white flour,white sugar, white rice, noodles) helps.

I eat a boatload of fruit everyday.
Deb T.

poet_kelly
on 8/21/11 3:21 pm - OH
I don't think whether or not to eat carbs in moderation is the important issue here.  I think the important issue is why you feel guilty about eating whole grain carbs in moderation, even when your dietician tells you it's OK.

There is no one-size-fits-all diet that will make everyone lose all the weight they want to lose really fast.  Your journey is your journey.  You're going to have to figure out what works best for you.

But deal with the emotional part of this process.  If eating small amounts of healthy carbs makes you feel guilty, you have some work to do.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ladyquenn
on 8/21/11 10:01 pm - WV
I have agree with Kelly, the guilt is the big issue. This process is not the same for everyone. For my doc 100 pounds in 5 months is NOT too fast. Ive lost 185 in 9 months, the first 100 in 3-4 months. I don't do rice, pasta or potatoes, they are my trigger foods. I would get to a support group or a therapist because the guilt will kill ya, and the next thing you know you are sneaking them in and you don't even realize it.
Teddi J
We have just enough religion to make us hate,
but not enough to make us love one another. ~Jonathan Swift                    
Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/21/11 11:07 pm - Baltimore, MD

Well, first let me say that how you feel sounds 100% normal.

But here’s what concerns me. You said that this forum makes you paranoid. I get that it can be overwhelming to see so many approaches to post op life in one place, but you truly have to decide for yourself how your journey will go.

I, too, know folks who eat regularly, just a lot less, and have done fine. I know people who eat horribly and have lost more than me. I know folks who eat perfectly and have done fine and still others who eat perfectly and struggle. So the first thing I think you need to do is to unwrap yourself from any notion that this process is either equitable or fair. It’s subjective. Each person’s body reacts differently.

In my case, I spent 18 months being perfectly compliant. I exercised like a demon. My lowest weight was 172. I am now maintaining around 200. So most of you just starting out and lamenting over carbs will likely end up at least 30-40 lbs lighter than me and I could choose to be angry, upset, confused and resentful. That’s not how I want my surgery process, or my life, to go. I know what foods are good for me (including what carbs) and I eat them BECAUSE they are good for me. I exercise BECAUSE it is good for me. My body feels good when I do it. My 200 lb. body feels good when I do it.

So my advice to you would be this. Figure out what YOU want out of this process. The carbs and whatnot are arbitrary. I agree with Deb, though. You crave them because your body needs them. We, as a society, have been lied to about carbohydrates. They are not evil. Food in general isn’t evil but if anything could come close to being evil it’s the over processing of food. Certain foods don’t naturally occur together and we’ve put them together for various reasons and our bodies are react to that.

Anyhoo, don’t pay attention to what everyone else does. Pay attention to what you know in your heart of hearts is right for you. If that means you become a calorie commando, you become the best damn calorie commando out there. If it means coming to terms with so-called “regular food." Do that. Only you know how you want to live this thing. And if you don’t you should be trying damn hard to figure it out.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Mary B.
on 8/21/11 11:08 pm - Southern, MD
You shouldnt feel guilty at all! If you put 10 people who are the same weight on the exact same diet...they would all lose weight at different rates. You are right, everyone is different and loses at their own rate in their own way.

Right now, Im severly limiting my carb intake. Its working for me. Is cutting all carbs something I want to or plan on doing forever? not at all. I believe we need to have them, but they are hindering my loss right at this moment.

You are doing GREAT!!!! and should be proud of yourself. Stop feeling guilty...that will lead to a bad place.

Follow your plan as it is working for you. There is no need to make any changes until it stops working.
Pat yourself on the back and continue what youare doing.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

AmberLee72
on 8/22/11 12:48 am
Thank you guys all so much for responding to me. Everything you guys are saying makes alot of sense. My beautiful partner Lesa had her surgery in 2005 and she eats whatever she wants...sometimes pretty bad to the point that I have to stop her and say what the hell are you doing! lol and she stays between 110-115lbs! Now I don't expect to be anything like that...but it really is craqzy how everyone is different.  I can be somewhat of a control freak and I guess it bothers me that I can't control this completly. There really is no black and white. You never know whats gonna happen. I play around with everything trying to figure out what works for me. I'll eat more protein....then maybe a little less....not really a difference in how fast I lose....so then I tried being super careful with fats and then I'll eat some full fat things like cheese or bacon...no difference on the scale. So I guess I am doing what you guys suggest and am looking for my own way that works for me. This has been a hard journey but in the end I hope I get it right!
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 245 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 267 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views