need massive encouragement, very nervous about after rny

Jackie M.
on 8/23/11 11:40 pm - Fairhaven , MA
Hi, I need encouragement.  Will be talking to the nurse today about a surgury date and I am soooo SCARED.  I am not really nervous about the operation itself, just after.  I am worried about complications, not being able to eat , DUMPING, etc....... OMG  I have great support from my husband, sister in law.  My daughter has been trying to discourage me since she found out I was going to have this done.  Dont know what to do,  I know 7 people who have had it done and everyone says they would do it again in a heartbeat.  Why am I this way, and is/or has anyone else been scared about after the operation.  YIKES!

Melissalove3
on 8/23/11 11:44 pm - Portland, OR
Best thing I have ever done for myself. I have had NO complications, no food issues,except eggs... I am 9 months out.   

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 11:48 pm - TX
I would do it in a heartbeat again as well. The first two to three weeks after the surgery will be hard, and the first three to four months eating will not be easy. If you follow the rules, you'll have less chance of getting sick and virtually no chance of dumping.

You are starting off at the same weight I did. Once I got the first 50 lbs off, everything seemed easy. Exercise came so much easier than before, especially running. Shopping was wonderful. Compliments from everyone. It was truly the boost I needed to keep the weight off and keep on going. In the past, I had been successful at dieting up to a certain point - I would lose 30 lbs in about 3-4 months and it would be so hard - counting calories, tons of exercise - then I'd binge, blow it, make a day long pity party a month long pity party, gain back ten pounds, and start all over. RNY gave me the tools NOT to do that. If I make a mistake now, its a small one, and my body immediately reminds me of why I CAN'T eat too much, and shouldn't eat the wrong things.

The risks of complications are there for everyone and there are certainly people here that have had them. I weighed all that out and decided I still wanted to do it, and I am so glad I did.
Elissa1103
on 8/23/11 11:55 pm - IA
Well it is scary!  So let yourself feel scared.  Hell I cried all the way from my room to the operating room as they wheeled me back.  But, just like most....I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.  (I even had a small complication of a c-dif infection after surgery)

The first week is hard, but not as hard as you think it will be.  In fact, all of it looking back was hard, but not as hard as you dream in your head.  It is kinda amazing how your body heals too...it goes much quicker than you think.  The first few months are hard work, but the end result will be so worth it.  Your health will improve 10 fold and you will feel better than you have probably in years. 

So take a deep breath, and tell yourself that even though it is scary, the other side of all of it will be so worth it. 

Good luck to you!!

Jacobsmama08
on 8/24/11 12:48 am - Morgan Hill, CA
Be nervous, be apprehensive, be excited, no need, really, to be scared. You're making major life changes, of course, it's a BIG deal. But it's not scary. You will do GREAT! And in 6 months time, you've only got 100 pounds to lose, you'll be 75 % of the way through that, I bet, if not more. Think of all the positive things you'll get to do. I focused on my closet when I was getting nervous, all of the HUGE tent t-shirts, 15 colors in the same style cuz they were comfortable, and cheap, IN THE GARBAGE after just a few weeks. And my elastic waisted pants, those too, several pairs of different colors cuz that was all I could get on my fat ass.... GARBAGE. You are no where near the size I started (412 pounds) but I bet you have some clothes you are sick of looking at, and sizes you are ready to get rid of.  I was wearing a 34, and I've cleaned out my closet twice in 4 months. And dug out clothes I had from 10 years ago, and have been buying summer clearance stuff, cuz I wont be in in it long, righ now I'm wearing 22/24. YAY me!

Follow the rules, and you will have minimal complications. Every one is different, but I have found I can't do alot of seasonings, marinades, even sugar free stuff,  too much makes me gag. And sausage, breakfast, italian, doesn't matter, too greasy, just the smell makes me queasy.  But other than that, I'm doing pretty good. 4 months out and 111 pounds down... Can't complain. Got a ways to go, but I have to keep in mind I'm less than 4 months in...  Patience! LOL

Good luck. You'll be great!

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 1:12 am, edited 8/24/11 2:50 am
I was scared silly and I shut my eyes and jumped. I spent the first 4 months afterwards so emotional and nauseated and determined. I said that it was a good thing I had the surgery because it gave me no choice about what I could do- I couldn't back out no matter what I felt like. So I used the time to just keep putting one foot in front of the other, stay outside my comfort zone and exercise and eat properly, and work at it as hard as I could.

Now- 1+ years out, I would do surgery again in a heartbeat- I couldn't have gotten where I am- 123 lbs, size 2-4 (I am one of the lucky ones) and healthier than I've ever been without it. Now I just have to maintain one day at a time...

Re: your fear- just walk through it. One step at a time!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Stephanie M.
on 8/24/11 1:19 am - Los Angeles, CA
 I know that before I had this operation, I was scared that I was going to do this, and it wasn't going to work. I was scared I would regret it. I had a lot of doubts, but don't let them scare you off. This procedure is 100% worth it! My life has been rapidly changing, and I think it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. Don't let your daughter change your mind, this is for you and your health and happiness. And once she sees how much healthier you become, she will feel differently. Do this for you! You deserve it!

Steph

Jenny_D
on 8/24/11 1:33 am, edited 8/24/11 1:35 am - Canton, GA
I am just about 3 months out from surgery. One week out from surgery one of my incisions popped open and started draining. I have eaten too quickly and felt intense pain from doing so. I have eaten something my pouch didn't like and thrown it up. I've had the foamies from eating too much. I've had 'grouchy pouch' days where I feel like I can't eat anything.

And you know what? I'd do it all again in a heartbeat because this surgery is worth it. I have my life back.

My knees don't hurt when I walk a lot. My feet don't hurt every day. I can climb up the stairs in my house without needing the next 2 minutes to catch my breath. I have already ditched my size 22's and my size 20's, and my 18's are getting loose. I have a normal menstrual cycle again. And most important of all, my 4 year old daughter has said to me, "Mommy, you are getting smaller!" That alone is worth every bit of discomfort. I am going to be setting a better example for her.

You can do this!
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/11 3:05 am - Santa Cruz, CA
I don't care how many people tell you that you'll be fine, there's always some panic about a
new experience. 

You'll be fine.  Your surgeon wants you to be fine. He has as much, if not more, invested 
in your success. 

Post-op is always a trying time.  Nobody has the same experiences, but we all share the
same desire for health and freedom from our obesity.

Come here for encouragement and if you need it, a stern talking to.  We will help, even
if it's not always rainbows and sparkles. 

As for the naysayers, remember that sometimes they are very worried about a surgery
that they probably don't know much about, and are concerned for you.  Tell them that
you have done all your research, thank them for their concern, and then go on with your
life and achieve your goal.

Best wishes,
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 257 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 270 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views