Knotted, Matted Falling out Hair

Narnia2003
on 9/12/11 10:52 pm - PA
Hello! I have recently been having alot of hair fall out, i know that is normal...but my question is...is there a certain shampoo or conditioner to use to help with the knots and matts that are now occuring? I have long curly hair and it is driving me insane..to the point i wanna cut my hair off after my upcoming wedding.. any help would be greatly appreciated
Fulan
on 9/12/11 11:38 pm
 Hi, I have been experiancing lots of hair loss too. What has helped for me is 2,000 mcg per day of biotin and John Freida's Root Awakining shampoo, conditioner, and leave in spray. I am still loosing some hair but significantly less than before. It has also helped with tangling. My hair is shoulder length, straight, and very fine so I don't know if this will help with your hair, but I am very pleased with what its done for me.  I purchased the John Freida products at Target but have seen them at walmart and my local supermarket too.

Jacobsmama08
on 9/13/11 12:35 am - Morgan Hill, CA
Hi!

I am having the same issues not the matting and tangling, but the hair falling out in handfuls... I take Biotin , 10mg  ( 5mg / twice a day), what's the converson to mcg? Should I double that. I need to slow down thiss loss before I end up bald!! Ah!! I will try this 'Root Awakening' stuff as well... can't hurt, right?

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

bittybabynurse
on 9/13/11 6:17 am, edited 9/13/11 6:18 am - MN
10mg is 10000 mcg
Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
Jacobsmama08
on 9/13/11 12:38 am - Morgan Hill, CA
Hiya!

I am experiencing the hair loss (ALOT) too.. I knew it was coming, but didn't realize how bad it was gonna be... I've been taking 5 mg twice a day of Biotin... what's the conversion to mcgs? Should I double it?  I will also pick up the 'Root Awakening' products... can't hurt, right? I gotta slow down this hair loss before I am bald!!! Ahh!

Thanks!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/13/11 1:47 am - OH
A mg is 1000 mcg... so you are taking a total of 10,000 per day which is A LOT!  At that high a level, you should be on the lookout for growth of additional facial hair, because once it appears it is permanent!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Jacobsmama08
on 9/14/11 12:28 am - Morgan Hill, CA
OH GOD!!! I will be cutting that back down to 5 mg, then, yikes!! I already have a freeakin' goatee... I don't need to be growing anymore facial hair, thanks for the warning! I was taking only 5mg, one pill a day and when the shedding started getting heavy I upped it to two. I just read all the posts from yesterday and I did go out and buy some "Root Awakening" I will start brushing my hair more, too. I just hope I don't brush all my hair off. LOL. Thanks for the heads up!

ladybugnessa
on 9/13/11 12:16 am - Owings Mills, MD
if you keep it curly investigate the DEVA line... available in salons it's made for curly hair....
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

Bralen
on 9/13/11 12:58 am

I have the same kind of hair and experienced the same problem. I started following the Curly Girl method of washing with conditioner instead of shampoo. You can Google it. I use Suave Naturals conditioner followed by Aussie DEEEEEP Conditioner. Then I comb it through with my fingers while the conditioner is still in. Rinse and then leave it alone to dry.

I thought I'd go crazy when it first started. Combing out the matted knots was pulling out tons of hair. This way it's not as traumatizing. It's been 3.5 months now and I can finally see the shedding start to taper off.

Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
Hillery82211
on 9/13/11 1:06 am, edited 9/13/11 1:08 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
I have naturally curly hair, thick hair and I was a heavy shedder BEFORE my RNY surgery.  What works for me with the tangles is this.... Take about 1/4 cup of olive oil, warm it up a bit (be careful and don't get it too hot...about 15 sec intervals in the microwave will do) and dump that on my head....let it sit for a bit, and then slowly detangle BEFORE I wet it or get in the shower.  Once tha****er hits all that shed hair, it just mats up and it's frustrating to get out.  Once you've combed (or you can use a paddle brush) through your hair, wash and condition as usual.  If you're in a rush, you can also add some olive oil to your conditioner to increase the "slip", divide your hair in sections and comb/brush through it in sections.  Basicly, your goal is to make the rest of your hair as slippery as possible so that the shed hair doesn't stick and slides out without the mats and tangles.

I also frequent the forums at www.naturallycurly.com.  There is a whole wealth of information for all kinds of curly hair...there is even a section dedicated to thinning and hair loss.  Though I haven't started seeing the RNY induced shedding yet, I'm pretty sure that section of the forum is going to be my savior!

Good Luck

ETA:  I second following the curly girl method!  Suave products don't do squat for my hair but i LOVES that Aussie Moist Conditioner!  I also recommend Curl Junkie products and JessieCurl (both are salon products specific to curly hair...they can be pricey but I order online during sales and stock up!)
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 9 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 255 views