Wine

Nessy2976
on 9/23/11 5:32 am - MD
I am just about 6 weeks out and really would like to have one glass of watered down wine.  Would this be terrible?  We like to socialize and haven't been out in a good while and tonight I would so enjoy one glass of wine.  I would sip some at home first.
 "Patience is bitter, but the fruit can be sweet."                            
Cleopatra_Nik
on 9/23/11 5:40 am - Baltimore, MD
Yeah. I wouldn't do i****ered down or not, wine will probably still take you from zero to DRUNK very fast. There is very little middle ground with alcohol in our systems. I take two sips, I am drunk. Not tipsy, but drunk.

Plus, unless you know how you react to sugar, you run the risk of dumping. Wine is full of sugar.

There are other beverages you can enjoy, no? Because the woozy, falling over look isn't cute.

So my short answer: no, having wine doesn't make you terrible, but would I do it from where you are sitting? No.
Sue C
on 9/23/11 5:48 am - Fargo, ND
You would have some at home first and then go out and have some more!  You are only 6 months out!!!  Most dr's want you to wait 6-12 months, if ever again.  And the sugar.....really not a good idea.  Just drink something else, you dont need alcohol to socialize.

~ Sue ~

257/162/150

Cleopatra_Nik
on 9/23/11 5:51 am - Baltimore, MD
WEEKS darling. She's six WEEKS out.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Sue C
on 9/23/11 7:38 am - Fargo, ND
 Ooops.  I did see that and typed the wrong thing!!

~ Sue ~

257/162/150

Nessy2976
on 9/23/11 5:52 am - MD
I kinda figured this would be the answer.  I wouldn't mind another beverage, but you mean, water, tea or something like that, right?  lol.  The nurse at the docs office told me that if I did want to have a drink, wine was  really the only thing she would recommend. Yes, you are right, I don't  know how I do with sugar yet.  I have eaten so many different things and have had no problems. If I didn't know I had the surgery, I would wonder if I really did, of course except portion size.  Thanks....I think I will wait.
Cleopatra_Nik
on 9/23/11 5:56 am - Baltimore, MD

Wait…between water and wine, your NUT said drink wine? Or did I misunderstand?

I used to drink diet cranberry juice with just a tiny shot of diet ginger ale in there (yes, I know, pouch horror stories abound, but it was maybe an ounce of the stuff and it made it feel like a drink).

And I am famous for bringing MiO to bars. Yes, that is ghetto but hey…the last time I allowed myself too much to drink post-op (which has only been two times that I can remember), I ended up on a mechanical bull in a mini-dress with pictures of the whole thing memorialized on Facebook (thank you Pam and Melting Mama).

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Cynthia L.
on 9/23/11 6:15 am - Clarence, NY
Several things here.

Don't ruin wine by watering it down.  If you're going to drink it, drink it.  Drink bone dry wine, especially if you don't know your dumping situation.  3 years out I can drink SUPER sweet ice wine (in minute amounts, of course) but you're ONLY 6 WEEKS OUT, a mere baby.

Don't drink a whole glass, split one with someone.  Drink it VERY slowly.  Yes, you'll get a buzz, but you also get over it quickly.  That's the way we roll.  Know that if you dump, you're in public, it's not pretty.  At all.

With that being said, I'm more concerned that you want to "pu****" ONLY 6 weeks out.  Whether it's a glass of wine or a cupcake, this is your honeymoon period, when you should be on your best behavior, learning and enforcing new habits.

You CAN socialize without getting faced.

---------------

So, to sum up....wait, if you can.  If you choose NOT to wait, drink the dryest wine on the menu, splitting a glass with someone.  Make it last the entire night.  Drink it WITH food, to avoid getting too toasted.  (Yes, I know you're not supposed to drink and eat at the same time, but I'm chosing the least harmful solution).

-Cyn, a wine snob

chrissie_hynde_kitty_std-2-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castleBad boys get spanked. - Chrissie Hynde Lifeposter-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castle

losing-jennifer
on 9/23/11 6:21 am
If you choose not to drink make sure you put whatever you're drinking in a wine glass. I haven't drank since surgery and don't plan to (not a huge drinker even socially). But when at events with drinks I would always put juice or water in a wine glass and I felt like I fit right in.
Jen
HW 254  SW 242  CW 148
**Down 106 pounds from highest weight!**

Nessy2976
on 9/23/11 6:41 am - MD
Wow...I am not a big drinker at all and didn't think it was that big of a deal. I know this is a honeymoom phase. I love this site though~~you guys watch out for each other.  I use to go out a lot and drink ginger ale from a wine glass. Sounds like a plan, but Ice tea with no sugar will suffice.  Thanks I am going out and NO WINE!!! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 144 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views