Post Op and Starving

Monique A.
on 9/29/11 8:10 am
I am 2 1/2 weeks post of and I feel like I am starving. I am not sure why but I am eating my meals per my meal plans, snacks, getting in the protein, taking the supplements and I am hungry every couple of hours.  I am also worried that I can eat too much...I feel like nothing is changed since before the surgery. I know this is not normal but the control isn't there and I have to stop myself withhe amount I am suppose to eat.  Any suggestions, ideas, insights would be appreciated.

LJ1972
on 9/29/11 8:13 am - FL
Perfectly normal. It is even in my surgeon's workbook given to pre-ops. At about 14 days you may feel like your appetite has returned, this is often remedied by increasing fluid intake.
Try your SF popsicles - crunching on something + fluids will help the head game part of it.
NHPOD9
on 9/29/11 8:14 am
 I can no longer tell the difference between thirst and hunger; both feel like I'm starving.  I'm not sure if this will always be the case, but right now, I know I am not drinking enough when I feel hungry.  Are you getting all your liquids in?

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

axlebart2
on 9/29/11 8:21 am - CA
your meal plan include snacks?
try to increase exercise and drink more water!
waitingtoexhale69
on 9/29/11 8:21 am - IL
I'M NOT SURE ARE YOU EATING YOUR JELLO AND ALL YOUR FLUIDS?  MAYBE CALL YOUR NUTRITIONALIST AND LET THEM KNOW HOW YOU ARE FEELING . ARE YOU FEELING DIZZY OR LIGHT HEADED?  DOES YOU MOUTH FEEL LIKE A COTTON BALL IF IT DOES YOU NEED MORE FLUIDS. LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS, OK.

Sunny64
on 9/29/11 8:47 am
I had the same problem and thought my pouch was too big. I have been able to get 8 to 16 oz of fluid in since the first week or so. Could eat soft foods 4 oz easily too. I am now on some regular foods and it is a whole different story. I would eat what you are supposed to but make sure you are getting the water in. I can't eat more than 2to3 oz of real food now, so have to drink shakes etc. Good luck
Mbezoni
on 9/29/11 9:00 am
I asked this question yesterday as I am feeling the same way.   I had my surgery a day after you, so you aren't alone.   Today I drank more water and the hunger isn't as bad  Hang in there!
Best, Mbezoni    
glzgowlass
on 9/29/11 11:29 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with

I had surgery on the 14th.  Glad I'm not the only one feeling hunger.  It's not constant though.  I wasn't satisfied at dinner and then I realized I hadn't taken my afternoon protein shake.  I took it and feel fine now.  I take my powder with unsweetened almond milk.  It makes it richer and thicker and more filling.

Are you making sure you don't drink for at least 30 mins after your meals?  If you flush the food through, you will feel hunger faster. 

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Monique A.
on 9/29/11 11:42 am
Definately trying to get all the water in between meals. Maybe will try to increase and I was told to only hold off 15-20 minutes with the fluids before the meals.  Will try to hold off for half and hour.

LJ1972
on 9/29/11 2:30 pm - FL
My plan also says only to stop fluids 15 minutes before eating... the most important thing is to wait AFTER eating. My surgeon suggests a minimum of 45minutes, preferably an hour.
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 10 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 255 views