Am I alone?

lilbear412
on 10/7/11 1:24 pm - MN
You are a week behind me or a little less actually.  Lucky you for not having the appetite.  I have mine mostly at nights.  but during the day i have to remind myself to eat.  I also have problems with protein and in a short time i may be able to eat protein bars.  If i can do that for breakfast, and have a shake or 2 during the day i might be finally able to get my protein in.  Right now i am away from home so i am just trying to get the protein in when i can.  I go back home next week so i can start experimenting again.  Unjury makes decent powder that you can mix into like smoothies and they taste decent.  I am not sure about the foamies.  I seem to be able to eat most anything so far although i haven't really eaten high volumes of sugar or anything or high fat foods.  I have slipped this past week on eating and i think thats why i am so hungry at night.  Not getting in enough water during the day and such.  The foamies i would think would be an acid thing so i would try priolosec or something.  Have you talked to your doc about this?  i have heard of others talking about foamies also.   Anyways, let us know if you find out the problem.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Zeigled
on 10/7/11 1:31 pm - Parkton, MD
Hi - I've never had the foamies (thank goodness) but I agree with you completely about the gritty protein drinks.  I've been drinking ISOPURE drinks that I get from the Vitamin shoppe.  They are 20 oz and 40 grms of protein.  The grape is a bit sour but not at all gritty.  maybe from what the others say sipping continuously may keep something in your stomach and get some protein in. 

Also, I do not have any appetite yet either - I'm about 11 weeks out.  I'm just eating/drinking to get in the protein. I'm kind of happy not to have an appetite, it is making it easier to stay on the plan.  Good Luck - I hope the foamies subside soon!!
HW 357 SW 341   

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/11 1:57 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Boy, the things they don't make sure you know post-op.

Appetite?  None?  Totally normal.  Don't just keep shoving food into your mouth.  Eat only until
you get your "High Level Alarm"--when your pouch gets full, your nose may start to run.  When
you get the sniffles, QUIT EATING!! You're done!!  Some folks hiccup, others belch, but you
have to learn to listen to your body.

"Foamies"--excessive saliva made when you're "stuck" and your body tries to help it go down. It doesn't help.

"Stuck"--when you eat something too dry and it sticks in your esophagus and you feel like you're having a heart attack.
Don't worry, you're not; just urp it up and you'll feel sooooo much better.

"Post-op Crazies"--as you lose weight your fat cells dump hormones into your system where it
is eventually excreted  through your effluvia. I don't know if it effects men the same way as it does women, but it's like Super PMS. Not a damned thing you can do about it, so just lock up your
firearms and warn your family.

"Carb Coma"--what happens when you eat refined carbs; also known as "Dumping". there are a variety of symptoms, but "Carb Coma" is when you eat refined carbs and then fall asleep for hours. Very disconcerting the first time it happens.

Dehydration is another real problem, and it's usually because we just don't drink enough. There's a reason why we're told to sipsipsip, because you really don't want to pass out from dehydration and then spend the evening at the ER getting IV fluids.

Ketosis is what happens when your body burns off fat byproducts; your breath and body will smell terrible. Not a lot you
can do about that, either, except to bathe a lot and chew s/f mint gum.

Stinky gas--the only thing that helps is Devrom. Buy it online and keep it on hand. Your life (and your friends and family) will be so much happier.

Constipation: Use Miralax.
DubbC
on 10/7/11 2:04 pm - NJ
You make great points. I can deal with not being hungry but this excess saliva thing is really disturbing to me. As one person said before it might be an acid buildup. I must admit it does have an acidic taste to it. I suppose it's all trial and error. 
SW- 560        CW-495        GW-300    
(deactivated member)
on 10/7/11 2:08 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
It's coming from your saliva glands in your mouth.  If it's acidic it's probably from ketosis, which makes
everything taste nasty.

The excessive "foamies" does make me wonder if you might not be forming a stricture.  That's
where the stoma of your rny heals a little too much closed and won't let food or water get past.

Talk to your surgeon about that.

Good luck.
Monique A.
on 10/7/11 4:44 pm
Your symptoms of foamies and gagging sounds like you are getting your food stuck....this has happened to me and I can tell you I am unable to eat after it passes (took four hours to pass today after I ate some chicken breasts too fast.) I find the magic bullet blender to be my best friend at this stage (3.5 weeks post op). Using a protein powder really is the only way you can get the amount of protein you need--and you will need to blend it (try some milk and frozen peaches or safe fruits to make it more tasty.
Maybe try to blend your food and/or eat softer choices.

missjann
on 10/8/11 4:49 am
I too had lots of foamies at first and for me, I figured out that mushies
pretty much stopped it. I ate a lot of Wendy's chili and tostadas (Taco
Bell at first, but now I make them at home with fat free refried beans).
While I could get down more solid food ****asionally it got stuck),
my pouch didn't seem to like it and I foamed.  I'm 9 months out and
I still eat a lot of soft foods- pouch is happier that way. I make soups
with lean ground beef and I throw canned beans in just about
everything for more protein. I use whey protein isolate protein powder
and I still have 1-2 protein drinks every day. I use vanilla flavored and
put chai tea in it for a warm drink. Warm drinks work better for me than
cold ones.   I still don't get terribly hungry
but to keep from getting weak and shaky, I eat every 3-4 hours..sometimes
it's only 1/2 cup of something before I'm full, but I feel great and can eat
about anything...there are just some things I choose not to eat because
it won't make my pouch happy....great hunks of meat is one of those
things I avoid- along with pasta, potatoes and most breads.  It will get
better and you'll figure out what works best for you.  Hang in there and
try a protein powder drink of some kind to get your protein up as much
as you can. It will help in the long run.  Good luck!
    Jan

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 10/8/11 8:06 am
I'm 10 yrs out and still eat by the clock, as do many post ops. We don't get hungry anymore. At least not regular hunger - head hunger is very real and we all get it at one time or another. Are you eating more than what you're suppose to? or the wrong foods? foaming is from over filling your pouch, or eating the wrong foods. It's a sign of dumping for many of us. At a month out Iwas on 100-200 calories per day, had been on liquids or soft foods for the first 3 weeks. Week 4 was soft foods and adding new things to my diet. My portions (as per my doc) were 3 ounces per meal at first, and I was up to about 1/8-1/4 cup per meal by the end of the first month or at least by 6 weeks. I'm sure your doc told you that your new pouch wouldn't be healed up and the nerves cut when surgery was done, until 6-8 weeks post op. Until then we can't feel full or hungry or over full or anything. That's why we have to measure out our meals until we can eyeball it and not overfill our new pouches. After the 6-8 week mark you'll feel  a full or bloated sensation when you've had enough to fill your pouch. Foaming isn't normal and means the pouch is irritated with too much or too rich foods. check your diet plan from your doc, measure and check portions for being a month out and be careful. Your body is trying to tell you something, we have to learn to listen to it and act accordingly. You shouldn't be eating just anything at this stage. We have guidelines from our docs as to what foods are introduced at what times post op for the best recovery and long term success. Check with your doc as you may need to change your portions and intake. Most of us go back to liquids for 24 hours after a foaming or puking experience to let the pouch rest. And you may never have physical hunger again - it happens to a lot of us.
Jen 10 yrs post op RNY
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 374 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 468 views