Am I alone?

DubbC
on 10/7/11 6:29 am - NJ
Hello Everyone. This is my first official post. I am a little over one month post-op for RnY surgery (8/29/2011), and ever since I've had it, I've had absolutely no appetite at all!  This can't be normal. Also I produce buckets of foamy saliva, which is totally gross. The ironic this is I can eat pretty much anything without pain or dumping or discomfort, I'm just never hungry. Is there any advice out there?
bittybabynurse
on 10/7/11 6:39 am - MN
Its pretty normal, from what I understand, to not have an appetite. Until I was 2 months out, I had to force myself to eat. I didn't want anything at all. Slowly it gets better. Are you nauseated? Make sure you're staying hydrated and if all else fails, get a prescription for zofran from your doc. It will pass!
Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
DubbC
on 10/7/11 6:49 am - NJ
If I get a high volume of saliva in my throat I get this gag reaction. Other than that I have yet to get nausea or gas or anything. I do notice if I haven't eaten I get a pain up my stomach and chest that feels a lot like heartburn. I'm not sure if it's hunger or just lack of eating. I appreciate your response to my post also. 
waitingtoexhale69
on 10/7/11 6:44 am, edited 10/7/11 6:44 am - IL
Hi you have me beat by one day.  My surg was 8/30/01.  I am very rarely hungry either, I just force myself to drink a protein shake because I know I need it.  But I never really been a breakfast eater anyway.  I too can eat almost anything and not dump or get sick, but I will feel kinda strange if I eat anything with bread, or high carb (rice).  I am glad that I don't eat as much as I use to.  Sometimes I'll take 3-4 bites and be completly satisfied.  Another time i'll eat a whole taco and then I'll be full.  Do you get you protein and fluids in for the day?
  Oh not sure about the foaming thing?

DubbC
on 10/7/11 6:58 am - NJ
Congrats on your surgery.  For my protein I drink a couple of packets of Carnations Instant Breakfast drink mix and I drink more than enough of the water I'm supposed to. One or two bites of any meat and I'm stuffed. I do find reduced sugar canned fruit does go down easier and allows me to eat more.  I just know for every bottle of water I drink, I have half a bottle of saliva I had to spit up. It's very weird. Thank you for your comment. 
poet_kelly
on 10/7/11 7:01 am - OH
A couple packets of Carnation Instant Breakfast mix won't give you enough protein.  One packet mixed in one cup of skim mik is only 13 grams of protein.  Even if you drink that three times a day, that's only 39 grams of protein.  You probably need at least 75 grams of protein a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

DubbC
on 10/7/11 7:05 am - NJ
I know its far less than the protein I need, but man it's difficult. I'm trying to add various meats but the sight of food sometimes makes me shudder. Thank you for the advice though Kelly.   
poet_kelly
on 10/7/11 7:08 am - OH
Oh, I know it's difficult.  I had a terrible time getting in enough protein for about three months after my surgery.  I ended up having a number of problems due to not getting enough protein, though.

If it's hard to eat much meat this soon, why not use a good protein shake?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

DubbC
on 10/7/11 7:17 am - NJ
I've been searching for a good combination of protein and nutrient laden shakes, but the ones I've tried are so gritty and just not good. I'm open to suggestions though. 
poet_kelly
on 10/7/11 7:20 am - OH
You can get samples of a bunch of different ones at vitalady.com.  I found that how you mix them makes  a difference too.  I like most brands mixed with  milk in the blender.  They seem to dissolve best that way.

There are a few ready to drink shakes I like, too, that you can buy at some place like Vitamin Shoppe.  They cost more but they are convenient and I've never found one to be gritty.  I like Isopure Smoothies and Oh Yeah! shakes a lot.

It really just takes a lot of expirimenting.

Most Active
Recent Topics