Carb Question

Anarare
on 10/21/11 1:29 pm - VA
 I have realized I am WAAAYYYY over freaking out about carbs. I had surgery 8/8/11, and was told by my surgeon to stay away from all pasta, bread, crackers, rice or anything similar for a minimum of 8 months. So the only carbs I get in in a day are veggies.

I was at a stall a couple weeks after surgery (Aug 23rd****il Sept 23rd. On Sept 23rd, I decided to eat a few crackers with cheese after suggestion from a friend who had the surgery, and suddenly, the weight started to come off again.

I add about 10 carbs a day from half of a Flatout roll, or a few crackers with cheese for a snack. So I am assuming my body does need SOME carbs in that sort of form.

My surgeon still says absolutely none, but when I stop eating them, I stall with my weight loss. I told her this and she still swears that carbs lead to my weight gain (which I know is true) and I shouldnt have any whatsoever for those 8 months.

My question is...at almost 3 months out...what do people normally eat a day with bread carbs, and are they still loosing weight with it?  I know that carbs ARE needed by our body - and I am not going massively overboard with it at all!  

HW: 400lbs+,  SW: 310lbs, CW: 218lbs, GW: 150lbs        
poet_kelly
on 10/21/11 1:33 pm - OH
I've never counted carbs.  I don't eat a lot of bread or other starchy stuff now and I ate less when I was still trying to lose weight.  But I ate it. 

Your surgeon really believes that eating ten grams of carbs a day from a few crackers caused you to gain so much weight that you needed WLS?  Really?  If so, she needs to go back to medical school.

I suggest you consider your surgeon's advice carefully.  Then consider your own experience.  You might want to consult with a registered dietician, as well.  In the end, you have to decide what is right for you.  You are the one that has to live in your body, not your surgeon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hlacy
on 10/21/11 1:42 pm - Chandler, AZ
I was recently released to eat whole grains. I have a high protein, high fiber, low carb tortilla every other day or so. I've not had any crackers yet. I try and keep my carbs below 50g a day, but I don't stress if I go over. Today, I went over, but it was because I put kidney and garbanzo beans on my salad at lunch - but I believe the protein is worth the higher amount of carbs.
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

SweetLilyAnn
on 10/21/11 2:10 pm - TX
I really don't pay attention to carbs, as I never eat refined carbs such as pasta, bread, rice etc....every once in a while I do eat whole wheat/low carb tortilla and Mission tostada. I eat both with bean, cheese, jalapenos and salsa or pico.

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

lilbear412
on 10/21/11 2:38 pm - MN
i ate my first 12 grain piece of toast this morning.  Wow was it good.  That is really the first i have had of any carbs (besides bananas and vegies).  I might have had ONE cracker but nothing else in the past 3 months.  I am currently on a stall too.  I have lost a couple pounds in the last 2 weeks but other than that nothing.  Strange as i have upped my protein, my water is about the same and i am eating a bit more per meal AND have this new job where i walk and walk and bend and stand up and bend down all day long.   So maybe i will start eating a sandwich with a piece of bread for lunch sometimes.  My plans for the future is to eat pasta, breads and rice..sometimes.  Keep most of the refined carbs out of my life and eat mostly proteins and vegies and some fruits with some carbs thrown in for fun.  lol  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/11 2:40 pm, edited 10/21/11 2:42 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Complex carbs are an entirely different world from "refined carbs". The first ones are in the foods
that are really good for us, and as you noted, our bodies do need some carbs.

I know if I eat "white foods" my blood sugar just goes sky-high just because I'm insulin-resistant,
so I just don't eat bread, rice, pasta, potatoes.

Good complex carbs should be a part of your diet. If you eat sensibly you shouldn't have any
problems. You've already established that when you eat carbs, you lose weight.
As Poet Kelly said, pay attention to your body.

Good luck!!
Michelle E.
on 10/21/11 3:29 pm
I think dr's flip about crackers because one the have little to no protein, they are in the same grocery aisle as chips and cookies, because people usually binge on processed foods such as crackers..

My carb preferences are vegetables, steel cut oats, quinoa, barley, pasta that's more like protein omega 3 thing,  and low carb whole wheat tortillas ( i like the one thats 81 calories mexican brand).

Rice and breads I avoid. They usually get stuck for me. pasta gets you really full too fast..  a better option than the crackers would be the cheese melted on a tortilla. i use pam, pizza pan, tortilla and cheese..really good..u could use a little non fat refried beans too..

Michelle
Anarare
on 10/21/11 10:15 pm - VA
See, I am scared about eating the tortilla ha ha!  The crackers I DO use are really really good, and have great facts on them... 

They are 34 degrees Brand..whole grain Crispbread.

9 crackers are 35 calories (I eat only MAYBE 4)

Per 9 chrackers the stats are:

No fat, 7 carbs, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein, 0 sugar.

And I felt guilt about eating THOSE even because the surgeon has me freaked out on any carbs.

I don't want to really honestly ever eat pasta or rice, as those are my downfall foods, and I don't want to eat them anyway.  It would just be nice to eat some bread or low carb crackers like the crackers above. 

I guess i will just have to test it out, add a few more here, take some away there... to see what works best for my body.  Thanks everyone :)

HW: 400lbs+,  SW: 310lbs, CW: 218lbs, GW: 150lbs        
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 10/21/11 8:14 pm
Yes, your body needs carbs. Just like it needs protein and fat. 

Find a whole grain cracker,  measure out a serving.  I buy a thin crispy whole grain gluten free cracker from Sam's Club to eat with my cheese.  They are 15 crackers = 1 serving.  I don't eat 15 at a time.  The crackers are on the salty side so they satisfy that salt craving. the box (2 bags) have lasted me over 5 weeks. 

Winnie

CarolBeth
on 10/22/11 2:03 am - SoCal, CA
My doctor said we can get all of our carbs from veggies and a little fruit, although our program allows starchy veggies/grains/complex carbs 3x per week.  I decided to use my own judgement and go back to what I knew worked from being on the Lindora low carb, high protein diet in the past.  After several weeks of very low carb eating (per my doctor's plan), I would take several days and up my carb and calorie intake (quinoa, more beans, more fruit, grains, some bread, etc.), then cut back down again.  I haven't had a plateau or stall yet.  I think my body needs carbs to keep my metabolism going.  On the other hand, I also know to keep too many of any carbs (especially refined) from going into my system, because I then have severe cravings and just can't stop eating.  It's a balancing act for me.  So far it's working.
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 111 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views