Extra Protein

ntine4
on 12/31/11 11:29 pm
So I have been having issues gettting enough protein in my diet and I found these New Whey Liquid Protein shots that are about 3.8 oz they have no sugar and 48grams of protein. Some of them are really sweet but I found the watermelon one to be great taste just like a jolly ranch and not as sweet as some of the others I tried.

TysCandi
on 12/31/11 11:33 pm
Those shots aren't good for us because they are mostly made up of collagen protein which lacks amino acids that we need in order to absorb it. So by drinking them you aren't increasing your protein intake...

HW: 326  SW: 312  GW:140

poet_kelly
on 12/31/11 11:39 pm - OH
They contain mostly collagen protein, which doesn't have all the amino acids we need.  They are not absorbed well at all and you will get very little protein out of them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/12 12:14 am
 If i am reading a label and it say's 45 grams of protein. What will it or will it not say so that I know I am getting the proper protein with amino acids?
poet_kelly
on 1/1/12 12:27 am - OH
Read the ingredients.  If it has collagen protein, you won't get all the amino acids.  Now, some of those protein shots have a little whey isolate or calcium caseinate, so you'll get a little protein from those, but not much.  If the collagen is listed on the label before the other types of protein, that means the product has more collagen than the other things.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Liz J.
on 1/1/12 12:39 am - Woonsocket, RI
Yup.. No good. But, save the container and make your own!
ntine4
on 1/1/12 12:51 am
Yes i did read that it does have collagen protein but it also has casein protein and whey protein.e   And after reading and researching all the indgredients I personally dont think its that bad but thats just my personal choice. But thank you all for the updates.
LJ1972
on 1/1/12 2:32 am - FL
The problem here is if the shot claims to contain 30g of protein... what if only 2 of that is whey?
Asking for trouble.

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/16/12 6:07 am, edited 1/15/12 6:08 pm - OH
You did notice that the collagen protein is he MAJORITY of the protein, right?!? It is your health at stake, so do what you want. but if I were you I wouldn't count on getting more than a couple of grams of protein (literally, a couple... like leas than you would get drom a glass of milk) from those.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cabin_Fever
on 1/1/12 1:52 am
 The collagen protein is made from the hooves of animals.....it just isn't a good, healthy product.

The amount of real whey protein that your body can actually absorb is so minimal, that the product is pretty misleading.  I suggest asking your doctor about it. -- they will have the low down on this misleading labeling.  There ought to be a law on misleading labeling, too!

"We either make ourselves miserable or we
make ourselves strong.  The amount of work is the same...."    - Don Juan Matus

Most Active
Recent Topics