Taste buds gone wild!

imma_always_b_me
on 1/1/12 11:12 pm - MD
I am 3 weeks post op and from day 1 my taste is completely off and sense of smell is heightend. Its interfering with my ability to keep up my nutrition. Any advice????

"Its not how you start, it's how you finish"
Cleopatra_Nik
on 1/1/12 11:19 pm - Baltimore, MD
That's normal, I'm afraid. The cuts your surgeon made will affect your sense of taste, smell, sweetness tolerance, etc.

The only real remedy is to try, try again. If something is too sweet, make something less sweet next time. If something smells bad, you may have to find a way to eat tolerate it (especially protein. Common advice is to drink from a sports bottle so you can't smell it).

Although some aspects of your tastes may never return to normal (I'm four years out and I still can't do things that are too, too sweet), it does ease up as the days and weeks go by.

But basically the answer to every challenge you'll face is the same. You have to make a plan around it, but you do need to get your nutrition!
imma_always_b_me
on 1/1/12 11:23 pm - MD
THANK YOU! every protein shake i drink causes me to gag or throw up i cant tolerate the smell of whey.

wendydettmer
on 1/1/12 11:32 pm - Rochester, NY
Have you tried doctoring up your shakes? I can tolerate a plain shaken shake, but i MUCH prefer to put it in a blender with some ice and other flavorings. I make a little 'milkshake'.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

imma_always_b_me
on 1/1/12 11:34 pm - MD
no i havent but maybe i will give it a try...i have just been replacing my 2-3 shakes  with scrambled eggs 2-3 times a day

dasie
on 1/2/12 1:31 am
It lasts for a while.  The one phenomenon that has stayed with me is my need for extremely hot, spicy foods.  My family always ate hot, spicy foods, but my  tolerance level has gone into hyperdrive.  What my family considers hot is now mild for me.  It has been that way for 25 months now.

BWB
on 1/2/12 2:07 am
It is strange how we are affected differently. I lost my taste for sweet tastes and I thought my chest would explode the first time I had chili.
Keeves
on 1/2/12 4:59 am - Elizabeth, NJ
Imma, we seem to be in the same boat. I have a case and a half of shakes that I can't even look at, and scrambled eggs are my best friend.

Other high protein things to consider are cottage cheese, american cheese, tuna. Sometimes I worry about the cholesterol, but in just a couple more months lots more options will become available. But there are some foods that we'll just never like again.

(I have one friend who was a real carnivore, but has gone full-blown veggie since his RNY two years back. For no reason other than he can't stand the taste of meat any more.)

Most Active
Recent Topics