8 weeks out - Is this hunger?

owlisn
on 1/25/12 8:43 am - NC
 I am confused at what I am experiencing...  I have a sensation that feels like hunger, 40 minutes after eating about a cup of turkey hamburger helper.  This sensation has been occurring starting in the last week.  I am not getting 64oz of water, but usually around 48, so I doubt it is dehydration.  

Could this really be hunger so soon after surgery?  If so, I am terrified!  Could it be heartburn?  I have experienced heartburn more in my neck/throat before surgery, and am no longer on meds.
Allison

sunpat41
on 1/25/12 9:20 am
 A cup of food would be too much for me, I am almost 9 months out, and I wouldn't eat all of the carbs in hamburger helper, but make sure you don't drink for 30 minutes after you eat, and try eating more lean meat and protein and see if that helps, and follow your doctors plan, at 2-3 months out I was only eating maybe 1/4 of a cup, and I still cant eat a cup of food unless its soup
                        HW 250/ SW 246 CW 137

poet_kelly
on 1/25/12 9:21 am - OH
Yes, it could be hunger.  Mine came back about three months out but some people get hungry a lot earlier.

I just wanted to ask though, are you supposed to be eating hamburger helper?  Doesn't that have a lot of pasta in it, usually?  And are you supposed to be eating a cup of food yet?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

owlisn
on 1/25/12 9:31 am - NC
 I ate mostly the sauce and turkey with a couple of pieces of the pasta.  The husband eats the pasta part.  I am definitely not straying from my guidelines, but why would I be having hunger both before AND after I eat, especially after eating what others consider to be too much (I could be overestimating as well about the cup?)
Allison

motherofe
on 1/26/12 5:48 am
I feel your pain.  When I was 2.5 months out I was able to eat 1 cup (8oz) of pinto beans with turkey meat with no problem.  I went for my 6 month check up and told the doctor that I can eat pretty much anything and in large quantities without getting sick or feeling restriction and he said that some people are just like that.  It sucks for me because it makes learning new eating habits much, much more difficult.
I can do this!    
wendydettmer
on 1/25/12 9:38 am - Rochester, NY
48 really isn't a lot of liquid. you may not be dehydrated, but you could still be thirsty. i've had times when i feel 'hungry' but after i drink a few ounces i'm ok.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

missjann
on 1/25/12 11:42 am
I'm not sure what you're feeling since you don't describe it, but if
you feel shaky or weird or if tummy feels like it's empty, you could
be having a bit of reactive hypoglycemia- where your blood sugar
drops from having too many carbs/sugar..........or you could be
having mild dumping from too much fats/carbs or sugar. I'm
just over a year out and I still can't handle more than literally a
bite or 2 of pasta or rice....doesn't sit well at all in my pouch. I
could not eat a cup at your stage, and could not look at pasta
or rice that early.  Of course, it's possible that you're feeling
hunger but if you're taking in adequate protein and you're not
drinking and washing the food out of your pouch right away,
I would be surprised if you're really hungry again that soon...but
anything is possible.  Good luck.
    Jan

Kelly L.
on 1/25/12 1:51 pm - San Jacinto, CA
 Um.. it could be the pasta thats making you "feel" hungry.. those kind of carbs are not your freind.. Does it happen with every meal you eat? I am almost 3 months (Saturday its officially 3 months) I don't have HUNGER but I know if I'm empty... it doesn't bother me at all, which is weird lol. If it were me I would try drinking first and see if that calms the sensation down. and try to stay away from the pasta... Good luck either way 

HW 274. CW 129

Keeves
on 1/25/12 8:26 pm - Elizabeth, NJ
For my first two weeks or so, I couldn't tell whether I was hungry or full. Around the third week I started figuring out which is which.

It is such an amazing example of how much our digestive systems have changed. We're like babies learning this stuff all over from scratch.

Good luck!

flyingwoman
on 1/25/12 9:41 pm
Before any meal, spend some time quietly alone, stit comfortably upright, take a number of really deep breaths and "look" at any sensations you are having. Note where the feeling is occurring, describe it to yourself (what colour does it feel like, what shape could it be? what does the sensation feel like? Is it urgent? angry? sad? have any emotion?) (I know this sounds weird but bear with me.) Then rate your level of hunger from 1-10. Spend some more time breathing from your diaphragm and just relaxing. Then go eat, and when you do, eat slowly and mindfully. When you are done, do the same process all over again. Look for changes in sensation... is it in a different place? Does it have a different level of urgency? etc.. etc. This will help you identify and deepen your recognition of hunger in the body and differentiate it from other bodily states, including thirst, emotional hunger, etc. etc.
Most Active
Recent Topics