Thing I am slipping, Hungry all the time

RainDiva
on 2/23/12 12:50 am
I feel I am snacking more then eating now and I know this is a very very slippery slope. I am scared and I keep telling myself I need to get back on track. I am 4 months out and hungry all the time. I have found that my pouch can handle snack carb food better then dense protein and I lean on carbs even though I know it is the wrong way to go. I am extremely stressed we moved to georgia last month I dont have family or friends here and my hubby hasn't found a job only my income so I see myself snacking mindless. I want to start exercising and eating protein first but I am coming up with excuses. I also need to find a doctor here for blood test and see how healthy I am. I know this is wrong but feel like I can't stop this. Any Advice? Anyone else have gone through this?

Cleopatra_Nik
on 2/23/12 12:52 am - Baltimore, MD
Here's a good universal rule to follow. I too get into the "I can eat my protein AND carbs!" cycles and I employ this to get back on track.

If you find you have too much room for carby snacks after eating your protein, increase the amount of protein you are eating.

If you're doing three ounces of tuna, do four. If you're doing a half chicken breast, graduate to a whole.

The larger point is there is nothing wrong with eating carbs, especially good complex ones. But if you find yourself getting into old snack habits, the best way to combat that is to up the serving of lean protein so you simply don't have room for it.
RainDiva
on 2/23/12 12:55 am
This is great advice. right now I found that I can fill up pretty fast on protein and I can eat a lot of snacks like pretzels/carbs. I am so afraid of going back to where I came from but it seems lately I can't stop.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 2/23/12 12:56 am - Baltimore, MD

Another tip (because in reality the story we tell ourselves about our eating can be just as important as what we do). I tell myself I can have as many snacks as I want. They just have to be protein snacks. And of course my brain runs with that and I TRY to cram in all these snacks. But in reality, protein shuts me down! After one, maybe two, protein snacks my brain isn't even invested anymore. ****** my food addiction off to no end but it works!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

RainDiva
on 2/23/12 1:00 am
want are some good healthy protein snacks that you eat.
I love greek yogurt but doesnt keep me full long. I love peanut butter but I dont want to lean on it because of the calories.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 2/23/12 1:08 am - Baltimore, MD
Turkey pepperoni, string cheese, cheese sticks, lunch meat roll-ups (especially around a nice cold pickle - yummy!), cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs (true fact: I can eat three scrambled eggs at four years out but am hard pressed to finish one hard boiled egg). Protein bars are good too as long as the stats aren't bad.  

Peanut butter is primarily a source of FAT that happens to have a decent amount of protein. So that is to say don't eat a bunch of peanut butter in the name of getting your protein. That doesn't end well.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

RainDiva
on 2/23/12 1:14 am
Ty I am going to get myself back on track and stop making excuses. I am going to stop being all or nothing and take one day one moment at a time. I am going to get the bad carbs out of the house and replace with good carbs/protein snacks and if I am still hungry I am going to reach for protein. I didn't go thru the surgery to end up back where I was before.

glzgowlass
on 2/23/12 2:54 am, edited 2/23/12 2:57 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
a hard boiled egg can be nice and filling. I boil about six at a time and keep them in the fridge so I can grab one when I get hungry. I also use WW cheese sticks as a protein snack. I don't use yogurt much because it doesn't stay in the pouch, so what's the point?

You might also keep an eye on the clock. I find it helps me to avoid grazing if I make sure I eat something appropriate and look at the clock and tell myself "I'm not going to eat again before xxx because no matter what my head is telling me, I'm not really hungry and I'm not going to die if I wait three hours to eat again"

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Gail S.
on 2/23/12 12:59 am - New York, NY
 I don't really have any advice but I can let you know that you aren't alone in your experience. I'm further out than you but I've experienced the carb only satisfaction feeling a long time. I get my protein in but nothing satisfies me like a cracker or some popcorn. The surgery does make weight loss easier, but it doesn't erase all of our food battles. I wish you luck!

RainDiva
on 2/23/12 1:02 am
I agree with you 100% I need help with the mental part of these. Doctor did tell me only fixes stomach but not brain but I need to find support and I love this forum for that reason just wish I could find some local support. I plan on going to a local support group and hope to make friends that I can exercise with etc

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 252 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 267 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views