Getting back on track...

littlewitch1973
on 3/5/12 9:55 pm - NY
RNY 9/21/11 - I am 5 month, 2 weeks out from surgery. Let me just say, it was the best decision I have EVER made!!

Here is my problem. I am not following the program. I realize the first step is accountability, so I am holding myself accountable by posting it here.

Yesterday was my birthday. I had a piece of ice cream cake, and dumped (lesson learned - 1 piece of cake is NOT worth 2 hours of nausea and cramps!). I havent been getting in my proteins first - they fill me up, and leave less room for the foods I "like" (read, carbs, carbs, and more carbs!). I stopped going to the gym last month because I was in a stall, and got frustrated.

I guess we all have ideas in our head that the weight will just "disappear" after surgery. We figure, "oh, I know there are stalls, but I wont let those stop me!" "I know I have to get my protein first, and I will!" We forget sometimes that we are human, and make mistakes. We tend to get wrapped up in our day to day life and lose track of the most important thing - taking care of ourselves.

If anyone else out there is struggling to get back on track - what is your motivator? How do you get your head back into the game?

Susan M.
on 3/5/12 10:13 pm - Howell, MI
I have been having some issues too, I have been snacking on crackers and gold fish, I do good at meals and eat my protein but I find myself snacking in between on these crackers.  I need a better idea thats a finger food and crunchy. Kinda in the dol-drums over it too.

Age 56 Height 4' 11" 

littlewitch1973
on 3/5/12 11:04 pm - NY
I have added tuna to the whole wheat crackers... it helps me get in protein and fiber, and still gives me the "crunch" I want... another snack lately has been carrots dipped in a dip made of Hidden Valley ranch (dry mix) and Chobani yogurt. Gives me the protein and crunch! (I have a crunch addiction too!!)

hlacy
on 3/6/12 6:16 am - Chandler, AZ
I snack on Original Shredded Wheat Bite Size on occasion if I want something carby. It's great fiber, and very filling. I just don't keep the bad stuff in the house, which is my biggest help. 
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

summerjoyZ
on 3/5/12 10:14 pm - TN
 You have realized it which is a great step forward. Just start new today and forget that you step off track for a bit. Everyone makes mistakes. I think you learned and will do great from this day forward. Good luck. 

littlewitch1973
on 3/5/12 11:02 pm - NY
Thanks... I hope I am able to continue to make progress... I would hate to think I am "done" losing, which I know is not possible, but the mind tends to play tricks on you when you are going thru this!! 

christinalee
on 3/5/12 11:09 pm - At Home in, NH
Let me pre-emptively say I'm not struggling to get back in the game, but I still want to respond.....

Everyday I choose to live that day the way I envisioned how I want my life to be. Yeah, I know, it sounds hokey and all warm and cuddly, but by setting my sights each day on what I want and what I envision, I am creating the path for myself. I'm creating a space for me to succeed. And there are days, hell weeks, that I don't wanna, but I just suck it up and do.

Like Nik's thread yesterday said, "I Got The Power." I'll take care of myself and stay motivated and work out and eat right and live the live I envisioned because I WANT IT, I HAVE THE POWER. And on the days I don't really care if I want it, I fake it until I make it so!

Okay, that's what works for me...

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

littlewitch1973
on 3/5/12 11:36 pm - NY
Thank you Christina!! That is VERY helpful!! 

I have lost myself along the way, and forgot how important it is to stay on top of things. It is going to be a lifetime battle, and not something I can ever change, so I might as well "suck it up and deal with it" as my dear mother used to say!! 

Jedene F.
on 3/5/12 11:53 pm - Oneonta, NY
I had RNY 1/28/11 and followed the plan until Thanksgiving and Christmas.  When the holidays arrived, I decided to NOT say I couldn't eat anything specific, but did eat a cookie and/or dessert here and there.  Once January arrived, I threw out all the "goodies" and made the conscious decision to go back to basics - eating protein first and limiting sugars.  I struggle with getting all my protein in, but am making progress.  I am happy to say that I have lost about 15 pounds since January and actually at MY goal of losing 1/2 of my highest weight.  I am still not in the exercise mode as it's cold here in upstate NY, but look forward to getting outside and walking and working on our yard/garden/flowers over the next few months.

It is a struggle to keep your mind in the game and stay on plan.  I was convinced in December I was done losing as I seemed to be eating anything I wanted or craved, and even asked my husband if he would be okay with my weight loss if I didn't lose anymore!  When January hit, things changed in my mind and I just got back on track - somehow - which I am more than happy to say resulted in additional weight coming off.  I am just struggling to get my iron and protein levels up, but finally am able to keep my potassium levels in the normal range!

ORIGINAL: HW 318.2; SW 295.0; LW 158.6
RECOMMIT: RGW 220.8; CW 206.2; GW 158

littlewitch1973
on 3/6/12 12:04 am - NY
I am in upstate NY as well, and today is brutal!! I have been going to the gym (we have free access to one at work) for a long time, and quit going about 2 weeks ago. Today will be my first day back, and I am determined to get it back on track.

I'm glad to see that even a year out, you are still losing!! That gives me encourgement! I am going back to basics now... getting things back in order for my 6 moth post op appointment in 2 weeks. My "goal" was to lose 120lbs by 6 months... originally, I had wanted 150lbs, but that is certianly not attainable!! 120 is at this point, so I am going to GO FOR IT!!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 261 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 124 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?