Quest Bars

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/23/12 3:48 am - Baltimore, MD
 Hala, I'm not making any claims on the blood sugar issue. I believe you had a reaction. I was saying I don't think it's right to claim you'll gain weight from eating Quest Bars unless you have solid information to back it up. Otherwise, it's just your personal experience (or anecdotal experience from others) you are speaking from.

I think that's a fair statement. Don't you? But truly...that's ALL I was saying. I believe you know your own body.

I don't have a glucose monitor because my sugar doesn't dive that often. If it starts to, I'll invest in one. 

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/23/12 3:56 am
I think the company who makes and sells the quest bars grossly misrepresents the real sugar affecting carb contents of the bars. 
MM - responded to my treat saying that her BS also goes crazy.
Few other people responded that they dump on more than 1/3 or 1/2 of a bar.
I do not think it is just me.    I do think there is more supper digested carbs (or sugars) in those bars.

based on my reaction and reaction of others  - as anecdotal as you may think - I can see that.

I know you believe in them and you are promoting them and make money when people buy them through you.  But - you may try to make sure that what you are promoting to WLS community - does not hurt the same people you are trying so hard to help.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/23/12 6:21 am - Baltimore, MD
 Ok, I'm a bit offended.

I don't make that much money off of Quest bars and LJ promotes my selling of them here more than I do. I don't let money come in the way of my interest and caring for the WLS community. For the longest time I did not support Click because I whole-heartedly believed that I had a duty to help people abstain from caffeine post op. Eventually I lifted that a bit because people are grown and will do what they want to do but I still do disclaimer things. As I will, based on your experience, with Quest bars. But please don't imply that I may ever put financial interest before my caring for my audience. That does deeply offend me, specifically because I do what I do (and have been doing what I have been doing) for years and there is so much more I could do, could promote, so many opportunities I HAVE turned down because I don't feel a product is good for, or is even harmful to, our community.

You can ask Kelly or others. I actually do vet products when companies come to me asking me to promote things. I've called upon folks here when I don't feel like my experience is sufficient to make a decision. But the implication that finances plays a role in that is damaging to my reputation as a WLS blogger. So I'd like to set the record straight.

I dont give a DAMN if I never make another penny off a Quest bar. My deal is truth. I could say, for instance, to a new post-op, "don't eat beef! it'll give you nothing but trouble!" That's based on my experience personally. Many other people have had that same experience. Does it make that a blanket truth? No. So what I was saying was that UNLESS YOU HAVE PROOF THAT QUEST BARS HINDER WEIGHT LOSS (not that they do or do not cause blood sugar spikes because believe or not, while the two subjects are related they are NOT mutually exclusive) it might not be a great thing to present that information as anything but your personal or anecdotal experience.

I did not say your blood sugar crashes didn't happen.

I did not say your weight gain didn't happen.

I did not say that these things were not a result of Quest bars.

I simply asked that you present that as simply your experience or anecdotal evidence so that a pre-op or newbie knows that and does not mistake what you said for fact. Yes, I know we all have brains here but newbies tend to use a smaller grain of salt with what we vets say so I think it's MORE important for us to be clear.

But my intentions in this, and in all things, is truth and the best interests of the WLS community. If finances came into it, frankly I'd be making a lot more than I do now. As it stands, what I "make" from Quest bars, funds what I use to GIVE STUFF AWAY to the WLS community.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/23/12 7:01 am

I really did not mean to offend you. Sorry that I did. **** happens.

And thanks for clarification on your post.
On main board I posted about the quest bars and some people when there and informed me that they dump also.  

I am MAD... mad at myself and the Quest.   With my RH - I trusted them when they put down in writing that the bars contain only 4-6 gr of carbs that will affect blood sugar.

I drive my car every day. Some days I may be on  road for whole day.  I ate them while driving..hrs at a time..
In the past  I had a few episodes of passing out from low sugar.  And not knowing taht my sugar drops until I was down.  Imagine me in my SUV on a hwy, driving 70 mph and passing out? crossing the mid line?  I hate to think about that. I have that in mind every time I put anything in my mouth.

I am so angry right now... and detoxing from daily sugar fixes...  I do feel so stupid and that adds to anxiety and anger. 

I did not mean to unleash that on you.  Sorry that you feel offended.  It was not my intention.  

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/23/12 7:07 am - Baltimore, MD
 I think mine was also a bit of an extreme reaction.

But I do honestly take my role in the WLS community very seriously. I try my very best not to let financial interests cloud how I approach something. In fact, the biggest spike I ever saw in Quest sales came when I asked folks to order through my blog so I could give the proceeds to an WLSer who suddenly found herself having to bury her son. So honestly...the money is NOT the driving force. But I did feel like I needed to make this point because if the idea got around that I was putting financial interests first, people would not respect my opinion as a blogger much. And that, my good friend, would be the death of a blogger. Trust is very important in that realm. 

Thank you for your words. Absolutely no hard feelings. And I can imagine detoxing from carbs has to be very difficult. Hugs to you. And don't be mad at yourself. You couldn't have had any idea you'd react the way you did. 

I actually know the marketing director from Quest quite well. If you have a particular message you'd like relayed to him, I can connect the two of you. I've found they are very responsive to stuff like this provided you contact the right person. PM me if you need me to do that.

_Donna_
on 5/23/12 2:53 am

They are NOT full of sugar, unless you consider 1 gram "full".
YOU are the only one out of a hundred plus people I've seen on this site have any issue with the Quest bars.  Maybe you should see your doctor to find out what is wrong with YOU and YOUR blood sugar metabolism.

RNY 5-5-2011

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/23/12 3:32 am
I guess you are blind and can't read.  YOU need new GLASSES

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/12 3:55 am - Bay City, MI
Eggface swears by em!
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/23/12 3:57 am
she is also promoting them and benefits when people buy them through her site.

LJ1972
on 5/23/12 1:42 am - FL
I love Quest - the apple pie, PB&J and chocolate brownie are my faves. If I use it for a meal I eat a whole one , snack I try to stick with half

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 425 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 508 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 490 views