Quest Bars

Alicia F.
on 5/23/12 12:33 am
RNY on 04/16/12
SInce I have a huge problem downing my protein shakes and them staying down and the fact that I just can't get past the god-awful smell no matter what I do; lid on the container, change up flavors, add stuff; I need to find another route to get protein in....

I've heard great things about Quest Bars, but at the moment I can't have protein bars.... maybe tomorrow that'll change (I hope).

What are y'alls favorite flavors?  Do they have that whey smell? Do they actually taste good? Are they huge (they look huge)?

Good things? Bad things?

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/23/12 12:40 am
I like most of the flavors of Quest bars. They are very dense though, so I don't think at your stage you would be able to eat more than 1/4 to a 1/3 of a bar, so you wouldn't be getting much protein from them (each bar has 20 grams).

When do you go on soft foods? You will have a lot more protein choices then such as cottage cheese, greek yogurt, refried beans, etc.
Alicia F.
on 5/23/12 12:47 am
RNY on 04/16/12
I'm on soft foods now....  cottage cheese, yogurt, tuna, chicken, seafood, turkey...  I have greek yogurt, but no idea how to make it taste good.

tomorrow I advance to Stage 4 which allows me to add cheese, fruit and veggies.

I get the protein from food that my doc wants but they want an additional 35-40g of protein on top of what I get from food.  I just can't do it.  I get sick and wanna vomit.  Even the thought of a shake makes me ill feeling.  My sense of smell has just exploded since surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/12 3:54 am - Bay City, MI
Mix SF jello pudding mix in it! It's the only way to make it taste good, that I've found.
Dagne Tripplehorn
on 5/23/12 1:12 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 I chopped up half a protein bar and mixed it into yogurt along with some sugar free jam. It was good. It reminded me of a "salad" I ate at a potluck, and don't potluck ladies make the best food in the world? One sin-spreadin' lady brought whipped cream, apples, and chopped Snickers bars. Golly. The yogurt-protein bar thing would be even better with fruit, once you can eat fruit. And protein bars.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/23/12 1:27 am
They are full of sugar or other very easily digestible carbohydrates. I gained weight eating the, and had issues with my blood sugar - if you losing weight and want to continue to do so - IMO - stay away from them.

Measure your blood sugar after you eat them.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/23/12 2:47 am - Baltimore, MD
I would want to see more folks gaining from Quest bars before we made the contention that they are a danger to weight loss. I eat them and I've been maintaining the last few years. 

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/23/12 3:34 am
They are the only new food that I stered and everything else was as before... or even more restricted.
I have seen other peple on low carb style reported that they gained weight once they start eating them...

Different board I belong to.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/23/12 3:37 am - Baltimore, MD
Still, there are a bunch of factors that could contribute to gain. 

Do the people on those boards exercise consistently? All of them? Have they been increasing the exercise? Are any of them on meds? Do they drink enough water? Get enough sleep?

It's impossible to just blame the bar unless it is an overwhelming thing. I eat them quite regularly and I've been the same weight since 2 years post-op. Many long-timers in my support group eat them and I've not noticed a big difference.

I wasn't finding much fault with you sharing that warning as your personal experience, but I'd be hesitant to make any widespread contentions about the bars based solely on anecdotal evidence. If you have data to back it up that's one thing. But unless we know, we don't know. And clearly not everyone has the same response to them.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/23/12 3:44 am
If you have glucometer to measure blood sugar - please do yourself a favor and measure it after eating 1/2 of the bar.  Maybe your body will react differently... Lets hope so..

I am a human sugar /simple carb detector.  If there is sugar - simple carbs in the product - I get it almost right away.

I gave some bars to my friend. She also checked her BS -  it got high after 1/2 bar.   in 15-20 min.

My extercise has not changed, I am anal about any crabs... have been... not considering the bars - I have been eating no more than 15-20 gr of carbs with the only sugar from yogurt - and some (not much) fruits).   and yogurt and fruits not even day...

When I dumped - pne day and then the next day saw what one bar on almost empthy pouch did... I am convinced that it is it. 

Most Active
Recent Topics