When and how long do workout?

artroxy blue
on 6/25/12 12:16 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I'm curious when and how long you workout? In the AM? In the PM? Half an hour a day 3x/week? An hour a day? What worked for you? I know everyone is different, so not everyone would have the same results. Just wondering how you've incorporated exercise into your new life...
LJ1972
on 6/25/12 12:29 am, edited 6/25/12 12:31 am - FL
Pre-op - 1hr a day 3 days a week, 1 session with personal trainer for 30 min
Postop - at first just walking, very light weights; at 2mths started back with the trainer 30min 1x a week

Now - Triathlon training on Sunday morning, usually rest day on Monday, 1hr w/ trainer on Tuesdays, workout on my own Wed (swim, bike and or run), 30 mn spin class (and sometimes swim) on THursdays, 1hr with trainer on Friday, 5k race at least once a month on Saturday or swim, bike and /or run

edited - Preop my workouts were after work.... around 130am. Post op on my own I went mid morning so there was someone in the gym with me. Now it is just when time allows except my scheduled workouts with the trainer and spin class

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

artroxy blue
on 6/25/12 8:59 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Good luck on your triathelon! That's definitely a goal of mine. :)
Larry Wassmann
on 6/25/12 12:44 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
 I swim 3 times a week for 60 minutes in the mornings. 

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

artroxy blue
on 6/25/12 8:57 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I'm looking at the swim schedule at my Y to figure out the best time to go. Thanks for the suggestion!
chelsea41808
on 6/25/12 1:24 am - OH
RNY on 05/14/12 with
 im 6 weeks out and i make sure i walk at least 30 mins a day so far .. havent really pushed myself yet 

HW - 260    SW - 237    CW - 152    GW - 140                    

STAROFEGYPT101
on 6/25/12 1:50 am - NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
I am almost 6 years out and I exercise 5-6 days a week doing elliptical and stremgth training one day and treadmill the next like that all week. I do 40 minutes of treadmill and on other days with elliptical  for 15 minutes and weight training I do 20 minutes.  
Day_dream_believer
on 6/25/12 4:33 am
I exercise in the Am at the same time everyday because if I don't follow a schedule I won't do it. 
I do 45 to an hour of cardio 5 days a week and 45 minutes of strength training 5 days a week. I alternate between running, spin class, elliptical intervals, and running and climbing intervals. I alternate strength training  with biceps/triceps, chest and back, and legs.  2 days a week I do a pilates class. 

artroxy blue
on 6/25/12 8:55 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 That sounds like a great idea! A set schedule is definitely the best way to go for me. Thanks for sharing!
christinalee
on 6/25/12 8:44 am - At Home in, NH
Mon-Fri, I work out either at lunch (running outside) or after work at the gym (I usually allot one hour to and hour and a and half to my work outs). I strive to vary my routine by doing aerobics classes (Zumba, pilates, yoga, body bar, step, water aerobics), I run outside and inside on the treadmill (usually putting in 5K), sometimes I walk (high incline or outside if having a tough workout time), and I swim and water jog. I kayak, hike, garden, and do yard maintenance on the weekend, plus I do a Saturday morning pilates class followed by a yoga class. Oh and I strength train 2 to 3 times per week in addition to the above cardio.

When I was intially post-op I walked. And when walking became unchallenging, I started to run, and then I said what the hell, just go for it and I embraced all forms of activity. Plus I truly, truly believe that strong women stay young, and I want to be metabolically more active by having a leaner (more calorie burning) body mass. Plus, if you've got great muscles (thighs, arms, shoulders, ass), I'm hopeful that people are more in awe of your fantastic muscles (Angela Bassett, Madonna) and less likely to focus on the batwings, the butt sag, and the sharpei thighs (YMMV).

My overlying strategy however is whatever I do I have to be able to sustain it for the rest of my life. So I take my rest days and if I'm not feeling up to working out hard and putting forth a supreme effort, I put out a little effort and call it good. Somedays are diamonds in my workout life, some days are crap (that goes for food days too).

And that's how I've incorporated fitness, movement and activity into my life.

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

Most Active
Recent Topics