protein drinks and suppliments

shellykayd
on 7/15/12 2:46 pm - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12
Anyone have any suggestions on protein drinks that actually taste good and don't cost a fortune?  I have tried unjury and like it, but not sure we can swing that much.

I am waiting to hear from the surgeon's office about a consult, so I'm sure they will have suggestions about what to use, but I want "real world" experience!

I'm trying to figure out how to afford everything.  I know I will need suppliments after surgery and need to eat high protein.  Other than that I'm clueless.

I'm hoping that the hospital will work with me as far as payments, but am trying to get an idea about costs after surgery.  I will have to travel 3 hours from home for all pre-op/sugery/post op visits.  My parents live there, so that will cut out lodging, but we have a lot of bills (tons of medical bills), so really need to get an idea of what we'll need to come up with and if it's even possible to have the surgery.

My BMI is like 55, so I REALLY need to do something, but can't seem to lose the weight on my own.  15 years ago I lost 50 pounds in 8 months in order to donate a kidney to my older son, but of course gained it all back PLUS another 100 pounds.  I will lose a little, but then just can't stick with it.

Shelly, mom to two special needs kids in Bozeman MT

poet_kelly
on 7/15/12 2:59 pm - OH
Everyone has different tastes as far as protein drinks go.  You can get samples of a lot of different ones at vitalady.com.  My favorite is the Syntrax Nectar cappuccino flavor.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Blondie76
on 7/15/12 11:03 pm - AL
I agree with Kelly, you have to try a few to find one that you like. I drink optimum nutrition 100% whey in vanilla ice cream. It's not super sweet and fits my budget. I fix a double scoop shake for my husband in the mornings and add fruit and splenda to it. When I make my shakes its usually with unsweetened almond milk, decaf iced coffee, and a couple drops liquid stevia. Hope you find one you like soon!
Oh...gnc carries one called lean shake, I think that I see a lot of positive reviews on.
GraceGirl
on 7/15/12 11:07 pm
I like EAS carb advatEdge found at walmart or target. 5 bucks for a 4 pack. I haded every powdered one i sampled unjury, nectar, bariactic advantage. They had a bad smell I couldnt get them down.
Adkins has some too that are good. also at walmart or target. Jus****ch the calories/sugar/carbs
Dani Dutch
on 7/16/12 12:51 am - Netherlands
Can you get some plain unflavored protein and just mix it into your foods or drinks?
Sandy S.
on 7/16/12 1:04 am - MD
RNY on 05/07/12
If you are just trying to budget, keep 2 things in mind. Your tastes will likely change post op, and your grocery bill will likely decrease too (you'll be eating a lot less).

Most Active
Recent Topics