Carnation instant breakfast ~VS~ Whey Protien

Amysbrats04
on 8/29/12 8:59 am - Melbourne, FL
So on my way to start my journey I have seen 2 different surgeons. The first surgeon I saw asked his patients to buy and drink the Whey protien. Unfortunately this Dr was too far for me, and I ended up choosing a Dr that was much closer to me. The new Dr suggests the Carnation instant breakfast. I had already bought a container of the Whey, so now I am curious if I should just throw it away or what I should do with it.

poet_kelly
on 8/29/12 9:12 am - OH
I would use the whey, provided it has more protein and less sugar than Carnation Instant Breakfast - which is almost certain does.  Carnation Instant Breakfast has very little protein - only five grams I think.  That's not worth the calories in, IMO.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jewel-twin
on 8/29/12 9:26 am - Canada
I had the nutrition class just two days ago and they had examples of both the carnation and the whey protien .... the Carnation is low in protien and high in sugar.  We have been instructed that sugar should be under 5 g and protien over 30 g.....

I am actually surprised they would suggest you drink something so high in sugar.

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

TXKashmir
on 8/29/12 9:34 am - Grand Prairie, TX
I tried that Sugar Free Carnation Instant Breakfast right after surgery and dumped hard! Do yourself a favor and stick to the whey - it.s much better for you!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

longhornrose
on 8/29/12 9:43 am - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Please take my comments with a grain of salt, as I'm still pre-op and have just received my surgery date, but over the course of the last few months, I've done a lot of research, plus read hundreds of posts here on OH, and this is what I can offer about the Carnation Instant Breakfast vs. whey protein. 

First of all, it's my understanding not all whey protein is equal.  Here's some info from the Vitalady.com website:

Whey Protein Isolate It is the purest form of whey protein. It gets into the blood system the quickest. Is generally the most expensive to use and although it mixes well it can “foam" up. They tend not to be as filling or satisfying, but fulfill the protein requirements very well.
Whey Protein Concentrate It gets into the system very slowly. It is generally the least expensive to use. It shakes well and pretty completely.
Whey Protein Blend Is a combination of the two above. These usually seem to be more “satisfying" and stay with us longer so we tend not to graze or crave carbs as much. Generally they shake well but may leave some clumps if you aren’t careful.
Whey Protein Meal Replacement They are generally a whey protein blend that is much thicker and requires a lot more water. Best for preop and long term postop customers that are more comfortable with larger volume.
Predigested Collagen Protein These are collagen based proteins, which are lower on the “bioavailability" scale. They contain some amino acids, but not ALL. Best used in addition to whey protein for additional protein intake. Easily added to water to “cut"the extreme tastes.

Here's nutrition info on the Carnation Instant Breakfast:

Nutrition Facts

Serving size 1 Packet (36 g)

Amount per serving

One packet
With 1 cup fat-free Vitamin A & D milk

Calories 130 220
Calories From Fat 0 0

% Daily value**
Total Fat 0g * 0% 0%
Saturated Fat 0g 0% 0%
Trans Fat 0g    
Cholesterol

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

Amysbrats04
on 8/29/12 9:58 am - Melbourne, FL
I probably should have clarified prior to posting..They tell us to use the sugar free Carnation.. What has been your experiences?
artroxy blue
on 8/29/12 10:01 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I'd use the whey protein instead. 
bubbylucy
on 8/29/12 10:07 am - Raleigh, NC
 I also had a surgeon that recomended sugar free carnation. I found it much better on my pouch the first three weeks. It is lighter than whey protein. But after the first three weeks of healing I changed over to Whey protein.(iso pure low carb chocolate)

Audra

hedrider
on 8/29/12 12:08 pm - Midlothian, TX
 Go with the whey.  Better bang for your buck.

It was recommended that I start drinking the nsa CIB with milk to up my protein.  I said no thanks, I'll just add another protein drink.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

owlisn
on 8/29/12 3:04 pm - NC
 I agree with everyone else.  Whey all the way.  I am nine months out and drink the NSA Carnation Instant Breakfast daily with skim milk because I get my protein from food sources through the rest of the day.  Early out, whey protein was a much better option.  
Allison

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 1 replies · 10 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views