Surgery Face?

hibrahim
on 8/29/12 6:55 pm - St Paul, MN
Ok so me and my best friend had GP surgery nearly a year ago and we lost a combined total of 250lbs. We both look great (she has some hanging skin and I don't have any). Anywho everyone compliments on how great I look and what not. But recently my sister and her friend always say I have the "surgery face" they claim its the same look that all GP weight loss patients have. Apparently by my face (and my friends face) you can tell we had GP surgery. I am just thinking their jealous LOL; but just wondering if anyone else has ever hear-ed those remarks.

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/12 7:21 pm - WA
RNY on 08/21/12
Does she have lobotomy face?
poet_kelly
on 8/29/12 7:24 pm - OH
On August 29, 2012 at 6:55 PM Pacific Time, hibrahim wrote:
Ok so me and my best friend had GP surgery nearly a year ago and we lost a combined total of 250lbs. We both look great (she has some hanging skin and I don't have any). Anywho everyone compliments on how great I look and what not. But recently my sister and her friend always say I have the "surgery face" they claim its the same look that all GP weight loss patients have. Apparently by my face (and my friends face) you can tell we had GP surgery. I am just thinking their jealous LOL; but just wondering if anyone else has ever hear-ed those remarks.
Well, I really don't think all RNY patients have the same face!  I've had several nurses tell me I don't look like I had RNY, so I guess I don't have the face.  I don't know what she's talking about.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/29/12 7:48 pm - OH
I know exactly what she is talking about.  A lot of people go through a phase where their face looks a little gaunt... the skin on the face looks a bit lax (even if there is no actual sagging skin on it) and the face is pale and/or lacking the normal  "healthy glow".  The face almost always fills out a bit -- and the normal, healthy coloring returns -- in a couple of months.  

I definitely went through it, and most people I know "in person" also went through it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 8/29/12 8:14 pm
I noticed after Al Roker had his WLS years ago, he had that gaunt look.  Women can adjust that with make-up but men are at the mercy of mother nature. I have seen people on here who have that gaunt look and by no means I am not here to put anyone down, it is just a fact.  I am very aware of how thin my face has become, and make sure I add a little bronzer so I don't look like a zombie.  A small price to pay for our journey of losing weight.  Jane
moet321
on 8/29/12 8:14 pm
 Ppl say the face is sunk in and the  head looks big in comparisons to the body.. I just blogged on this as a concern of mines.. I think you look great by the way  I'm 16 days away from surg.. Best wishes in your continued journey
 Small changes today will impact the results I receive tomorrow...Taking this journey one day at a time ;) Moët 

Surgery Date 9/12/2012         
Dee.spunk
on 8/29/12 8:39 pm - Sacramento, CA
I hope I dont get this "surgery face!" Please, let me know if I do!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Reel
on 8/29/12 11:46 pm
 Ha ha ha, so far so good, no surgery face yet. 
shirleyfhoffman
on 8/29/12 9:19 pm - CA
My face has changed so much that sometimes I think I have a "surgery face", but people who never knew me @ 340 lbs say they can't tell I was ever a big person. I think only the people who saw us big and see us now might think that our faces are too thin.

HW:340 SW: 292 CW:164 GW: 140-130

RPick67
on 8/29/12 11:14 pm
VSG on 06/11/13
There definately is a gaunt look to folks who've had the surgery,,,,,,especially around a year out.  Your not taking in enough nutrients is what I think.  Once your like 3 years plus that is gone.  Your body weight has stabilized and you are able to eat more of a variety of foods.  These surgeries are starvation deals.....especially the first few months. Between the malabsorption and the small amount of food you are able to take in, you are under nourished. MOST weight loss surgery folks look better after they have had the surgery.........some peoples faces sink in, have a gray hugh to them, and look way older and haggarder than there age.  Can't tell from your pic because I didnt know how old you are and what you looked like before u had surgery... It is a real thing though.  My friends and I all talk about a girl we graduated with back in the 80's......physically she looks better since having gastric bypass surgery......but her face looks gray and saggy.  Just saing it happens to some folks.  Hope its not the case with you.

Cons. Wt. 394       Surg. Wt. 386        Curr. Wt.  311

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 198 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 435 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 319 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 328 views