Two Years Out, Pictures and Reflection

Dandice
on 12/3/12 3:10 pm - McKinney, TX

My almost surgiversary has completely snuck up on me. I cannot believe that two years ago today I was busy prepping my house for my post RNY life and starting my liquid diet. Most of the people I know on the periphery assume that my weightloss is the best thing that could have ever happened to me, and they are right...but it didn't come easy or without cost. I have struggled with my vitamins and my protein. I have clocked in over 700 hours at the gym. I have had important relationships in my life become irrevocably altered because of what I now know (after over a dozen sessions of WLS therapy) are THEIR issues, not mine. I developed terrible body dismorphia. And yes, I fell into the scary 80 something percent of post WLS patients whose marriages end after surgery--even though it happened under the best of cir****tances and with a solid friendship.

But I am healthy for the first time in 15 years. I walk up the stairs and fit in airplane seats and no longer have a single comorbitdty. And I have met amazing people in my community who have gone through/are going through what I am. People I can relate to in a way that I cant with anyone else. The things that all of those other folks assume have made my life so much better--the clothes and the attention from the opposite sex and the fact that I fit into "normal" society--those are all just incidental. Icing on the cake I don't get to eat anymore. The real gift for me has been realizing that I CAN do this. That with the help of the tool of my bypass and the support of people who love me and communities like this I've been able to change my life. It's been a crazy rocky tear filled journey...but would I take it back? Not for anything.

Two years ago...286 pounds.

Now 115 pounds

Gina T.
on 12/3/12 6:05 pm - CA
RNY on 07/03/12

You are breath taking gorgeous and such an inspiration. i would say everything was so worth it. Great job Dandice....angry

LouLouAmbrosia
on 12/3/12 6:10 pm - OH
You look amazing and I'm so happy to read your reflections of the psychological and emotional work you've done. Your physical work shows, but you and only you know the truth of the hard inner work you had to do as well! Congratulations!

Height:  5' 2"      HW: 322 (7/31/12)     SW: 292 (10/31/12)     Current:  220 (3/20/13)
GOAL WEIGHT: 140

JJ_
on 12/3/12 6:58 pm

Congratulations!  You have come a long way baby :)

Judy

MultiMom
on 12/3/12 7:38 pm - NH

You look wonderful, and I am super happy for you! I do, however, think that your statement of "80 something percent of post WLS patients whose marriages end after surgery" is not correct. Although the rate of divorce after WLS is higher than the non-WLS population it is certainly not 80 something percent.

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Dandice
on 12/3/12 7:46 pm - McKinney, TX
It's an ambiguous reference to the study they quoted in the NY times a few years ago. The one my husband and I laughed about thinking "that's so innacurate!"
Lori F.
on 12/3/12 8:11 pm - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

Wow, what a transformation - happy surgiversary.  You look like your old self's younger sister.

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

Kallen27
on 12/3/12 8:29 pm

WTG!!!

Don 1962
on 12/3/12 8:29 pm

Congrats on your success! angry

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Joanna C.
on 12/3/12 8:49 pm
Wow! You look great! Glad to see that you are in a good spot in your life.

Most Active
Recent Topics