Thinking of switching to the sleeve instead of bypass....ADVICE PLEASE!

more2hold
on 12/8/12 8:07 am - Cassatt, SC
RNY on 05/14/13

I have been reading lots of information about both surgeries and I am starting to wonder if the gastric sleeve is the better option. I didn't realize until recently that with the gastric sleeve there is no dumping syndrome or all of the problems with malabsorption. I am just wondering if any of the veterans would have chosen the sleeve instead of bypass?  I know that it was not available for some and some insurances aren't covering it yet but would some of you have gotten the sleeve instead if it were available? All responses welcomed.

anewbeginning2012
on 12/8/12 8:19 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12

I am 2 months post op from the RNY and don't regret it at all. I have yet to dump- some people don't, some do. I chose to stay under 10 g of sugar so I stay away from that. If my insurance would have covered it, I would have chose the sleeve - but the Rny is working great for me...no problems what so ever.

Kris        
poet_kelly
on 12/8/12 8:44 am - OH

I would have done the sleeve if my insurance would have covered it.  I'm happy with my RNY, but I wish I could still take NSAIDS and that I didn't have to worry so much about nutritional deficiencies.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ScottAD
on 12/8/12 9:18 am - Lenoir, NC
RNY on 07/31/12

I had the choice between the two and went with RNY. Partially because of my weight loss goals and also because the RNY leaves me less chance to be tempted. There is only so much room in that pouch you see. I swore off sweets and have been sure to stay away from them.

I don't regret my choice. I only had one small problem with iron because I was taking a kind my body did not want to absorb well but other than that issue free.

acochran
on 12/8/12 9:20 am - GA

I had the RNY. I need the dumping fear to keep me on track! Also, I had severe acid reflux before surgery and now that is a distant memory. I have a cousin that had the sleeve done and has developed acid reflux. Everyone is different . Good luck with your decision !

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/8/12 9:45 am - OH
Yes, if the sleeve had been available 5 years ago (and my insurance had covered it, of course), I would have opted for the sleeve instead of RNY. I didn't like the idea of the malabsorption of vitamins (one of the primary reasons that I did not choose the DS even though my BMI was almost 57) and re-routing my intestine, but there was no way I was going to do the band.

I have also found it much more difficult than I expected to not be able to take NSAIDs (which you can take with the sleeve). I didn't get the pain relief in my knees
that I expected to get after losing 190 pounds, and not being as to take Aleve, Motrin, Celebrex, etc. has been problematic.

Also, the caloric malabsorption of the RNY is temporary (but the vitamin malabsorption is permanent), so after about 18 months, you have a surgery that is almost exclusively restrictive (as the sleeve is) anyway.

My only concern with the sleeve (as it was with the DS) is the removal of the remnant stomach. I preferred leaving the remnant stomach as they do with RNY. The chances f ever needing it are slim, but I like knowing it is there. (It is also the primary reason for the ban on NSAIDs, though, so that is a double edged sword).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/12 9:50 am
RNY on 08/31/12

I chose RNY because of its success level and I don't dump. Never have. Not once! I needed the maximum amount of weight off due to serious back issues and neuropathy problems with my feet and a chronically stress fractured bone in one. RNY statistics show of the 3 WLS (lapband, RNY, sleeve), the RNY patients lose the most. I'm not having any malabsorption but then I take quality supplements. I feel great! I just got into a size TEN and I was a 3X. I'm 3 months and 1 week out from surgery and started at 207 on surgery day. I have no complications except constipation but my nutritionist and I are working on it and its getting better.

more2hold
on 12/8/12 10:42 am - Cassatt, SC
RNY on 05/14/13

I have been wanting the Gastric Bypass surgery since 2002 so when I finally had the opportunity to have WLS, back in June I scheduled my consultation with the surgeon and  I was still set on Gastric Bypass; then when he suggested it as my best option due to my BMI and other factors, I was really sold. I really should have done a little more research in the beginning because now that it's down to the wire (I've completed all 6 appointments) I am questioning everything....am I choosing the right surgery, should I even do this at all? I really appreciate all the responses and the honesty, I am really leaning towards switching, I have a lot to consider.

artroxy blue
on 12/8/12 11:56 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

I was told the sleeve wouldn't be a good option for me for a couple of reasons. First, while I wouldn't have as much restriction, I also wouldn't lose as much. I really need to lose over 100lbs. so the sleeve wouldn't help me achieve that goal. Second, pre-op, I had a SERIOUS sweets/carb tooth, so the sleeve wouldn't work as well for me because of possible sliders that would pass through, like ice cream, sweet coffee drinks, etc. I didn't want to risk losing 70-80lbs. to only gain it back plus more. I've got to say I am glad I decided on the RNY. Sure, there are things I need to be careful of, like taking my vitamins everyday and eating on the clock, but I'd do it again in a heart beat. I actually have been kicking myself that I didn't do it sooner. 

Good luck whichever surgery you decide to do!

celia1988
on 12/8/12 2:00 pm - WA

I was all set to have a lap band and when I went to my surgeon( finally after months of jumping through insurance hoops) He basically said he wasn't doing them any more because of the complication and fail rates. My insurance did not cover the sleeve so I opted for the RNY. I am so glad I did. I think the long term data is well established for RNY and for me the threat of dumping is enough to keep me off sugar since I was a major carb and sugar junkie. I have kicked that habit and have lost about 40 pounds in 12 weeks. I have not dumped once, I am eating well and other than getting the frothies when I ate dense protein too fast I am doing ok. I hope you gather the info you need and make the best decision for you. GOOD LUCK

Laurie :-)

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 257 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 270 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 315 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views