Painful, dry and irritated mouth.

val6715
on 12/23/12 9:03 am - NJ

wondering if anyone else is experiencing or has had this issue. Since surgery (but it gets progressively worse) I have had a strange, metal. chemical taste in my mouth. along with a cracked feeling under my upper lip, large taste bud looking stuff on the front top of my tongue as well as a smooth weird coating on my tongue and roof of my mouth. It has gotten worse with a 4 day old cold. I'm not sure if it could be from liquid protein drinks, the unbelievable amount of artificial sweeteners I use so I can flavor my water (because without the flavoring the water tastes like iron or something), or a vitamin deficiency or maybe TOO MUCH vitamins! Take your pick, but I really could use an answer. My PCP is out of town and my surgeon won't be in until after Christmas. I am trying to drink water without the flavor stuff, and I have cut back on the protein drinks (not a good idea). Hope someone has an answer! I am 3and1/2 months out from surgery. Thanks!

Cynthia_Sunshine_00
on 12/23/12 9:12 am
RNY on 11/12/12

You might want to research "oral thrush" to see if that could possibly be it.  Maybe a dentist could help you tomorrow?  Good luck to you!!

65rosesmom
on 12/23/12 9:26 am

I don't know when your surgery was, but I developed thrush about 2 weeks post surgery with similar symptoms.  It can get pretty bad without medicine.  You probably can get them to call in a script for nystatin mouth rinse.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

happygrandma
on 12/23/12 11:14 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

I've had thrush before too, thought I had it in the hospital because my mouth and throat were so dry (cleared up after they let me have water).  Have you been on antibiotics, sometimes that can cause it.  It's basically a yeast infection and can be miserable.

shiloh78
on 12/27/12 12:01 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi! I'm a hygienist in NC! I had lots of problems with drinking water for a very long time. In the past two months I've finally been able to drink straight from a water bottle without crystal light, so I know what you're going through. However, I do think you should see a dentist. 

Are you taking medication other than all the vitamins? Candidiasis can be caused by dry mouth which is a side effect of many medications. If you have it, you may be in the incubation period now--text book says it's variable, and it's communicable when there are white lesions present. Don't kiss anyone or share drinks. 

That's all I can really say about it.

best wishes,
Shiloh

val6715
on 12/27/12 3:07 am - NJ

Thank you for your information. I did go to a doctor who prescribed an antibiotic (not what I wanted, but she's the expert?). Feeling better with the sinus infection, but the metal tastes and sore tongue remain an issue. Milk of magnesia coatings help somewhat, but it doesn't go well with the stomach.  I have an appointment with my dentist for the end of January. I will see if he can see me earlier. Thanks again! Happy New Year.

Most Active
Recent Topics