UpCal....BAH!

Gilly68
on 1/24/13 11:38 pm - Central, IL
RNY on 12/03/12

So I went to Amazon and ordered two months worth of UpCal. Whoever said that this is UNDETECTABLE in any beverage is FULL OF CRAP!! It is chalky and continually settles in the bottom of the glass/cup. Tried the first one in a cold drink last night, so this morning I stirred it into my coffee, hoping it would desolve...but no, it doesn't. Oh well, still better than gagging down those huge pills....

MustangLady
on 1/24/13 11:53 pm - MA

this is not good news for me......I was planning on ordering them this weekend......thanks for saving me money!

~ CJ BradleyLapband Surgery 7/2007 with many complications. 2012 Seeking Revision to RNY. 2013 Revision denied. Trying to work with band.

Sheila W.
on 1/25/13 12:43 am

I mix mine with a cup of milk and mixes well.  I swirl the cup right before I take a sip and it really isn't bad. 

Good luck

Listen closely: the only time it's too late to change yourself is when you're dead. Until then, you're simply making excuses or lying to yourself. HW 350 SW 324  SD10/19/12

poet_kelly
on 1/25/13 1:00 am - OH

It mixes well in drinks for me.  If I let my drink sit for a bit, it does start to settle to the bottom, but a little shake or stir mixed it right back in again.  I don't find it chalky at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bralen
on 1/25/13 3:31 am

I feel the same way but I tried it in my protein shake and it was perfect.

Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
losing-lisa
on 1/25/13 4:01 am - Stevens Point, WI
RNY on 10/31/12

I've been using the Bariatric Advantage calcium crystals and mixing them with Trop50.  You can taste a hint of it, but it's just kind of citrus-y, I think.  Not too bad...I also use the B.A. chews.  They're not cheap, but if it helps me get my calcium in, I'll do it!  :) good luck finding something you like!

Lisa K
Post-op RNY - 10/31/2012

poet_kelly
on 1/25/13 7:43 am - OH

Just FYI, the Upcal D is very similar to the BA calcium crystals but  much cheaper.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

losing-lisa
on 1/25/13 7:54 am - Stevens Point, WI
RNY on 10/31/12
Thanks Kelly, I noticed that, but we can buy the BA crystals at the pharmacy in the local hospital, so after paying shipping on the Upcal, they came out pretty close in price. If you know of an Upcal source with free shipping, let me know- that would be awesome!

Lisa K
Post-op RNY - 10/31/2012

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/25/13 4:02 am - OH

I am not sure i have ever seen anyone one say it is "undetectable", since there is only a certain amount that calcium can physically dissolve in water, but I have been using it for several years and, like Kelly, do not notice it (I put it in SF hot chocolate with protein powder added) unless I let it sit for a while.  Then I have to reheat and re-stir, but I don't notice it much other than that.

Not really nice to say someone is full of crap, though, since we all have different thresholds when it comes to tastes that we like and dislike, sensitivity to smells, sensitivity to textures, etc. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jackiejellybean
on 1/25/13 7:30 am - Canada

I crush my calcium and stir it into 1/3 of a SF pudding in the am and in the afternoon, I also crush my multi vit and stir it into the last 1/3 of the pudding in the evening. I find it easy to get in that way.

Surgery Date 01/21/13

Most Active
Recent Topics