having a hard time

mocuevas
on 2/3/13 10:17 am - TX

I'm having a hard time following my Dr's plan and eating things I shouldn't be eating.  I'm scared I am going to eat through this surgery and won't lose weight the way I want, but I walk into the kitchen, where there is food, and just automatically put things in my mouth.  I feel a bit hungry, well, sort of, but more it is just automatic, mindless eating.  It doesn't feel like there is much of a limit to what I can eat in terms of amount. I don't feel full or get any signal to stop until suddenly there is that lump in my throat and I know I am going to throw up whatever went in last.

I'm not sure what to do. I am exactly two weeks out and now wondering if I can really do this; was it a waste and how can I even think I will be able to manage losing weight when I can't control my eating at all.  I thought the surgery would help that.  And don't get me wrong, I'm not eating the things I used to like ice cream and sweets, but I still can;t seem to handle the restrictions on my diet and act like they don't matter to me.

What can I do to turn this around?  Any suggestions would be welcome!

Smiles, Mo

HW: 311 SW: 270 CW: 192

scarlettbegonias
on 2/3/13 10:24 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

Ok so when they cut your stomach they cut the nerve endings- a lot of people don't "feel full" or restriction at first- it's there you just can't feel it yet, I was about 10 weeks before  I could really feel it.

you need to get the food that's tempting you OUT of the house- if it's not there you can't pick!

You need to weigh/measure everything you eat at this point- it's very important.

I would suggest you find a councillor or psychologist who deals with wls or ED's, I personally find it very helpful and think EVERYONE should be working with one and given your already struggling at two weeks out I would think its essential for you so that you can be successful!

you can do this.

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

mocuevas
on 2/3/13 10:29 am - TX

Thanks, you're right I should find someone to work with about it.  I can't really get all the food out of the house because my husband and kids need to eat and I'm eating foods that are healthy for them, just not for me right now. 

I do need to weigh and measure everything I eat and be sure I'm getting my protein, so maybe then I wouldn't feel like I'm hungry or need to eat something.

Thanks for your support!

Smiles, Mo

scarlettbegonias
on 2/3/13 10:49 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

I've got kids too so I understand how hard that can be!!

good luck Hun and as I said before, you can do this!

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

MrsLitch
on 2/3/13 11:00 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

while waiting to get in to see a therapist might I suggest staying out of the kitchen? or take a "buddy" with you to help you focus on not blindly putting food in your mouth?

I was nervous about this at first and I had my hubby or kids run and get me a water out of the fridge or whatever it was I needed. If I went into cook I invited them in to talk to me and keep me company so that I focused on the conversation rather than the food. I don't put anything in my mouth now without thinking about it, thanks to my therapist helping me understand why I went to food and over ate. Today, I still have company in the kitchen whether it's my son learning to cook or my daughter helping me cook, it's actually very nice and it's become a great habit and a time to talk to them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

mocuevas
on 2/4/13 12:35 am - TX

That's a great idea, thanks!

Smiles, Mo

apurdie
on 2/3/13 11:04 am - CA

I am 10 weeks out and just starting to feel when I am full.  Great advice here from others!

apurdie
on 2/3/13 11:07 am - CA

One more thing. Let this forum be your family for now!

karenp8
on 2/3/13 11:11 am - Brighton, IL

One thing that helps stop mindless eating for me is to get in the habit of writing down everything I eat either on paper. I have a journal and record everything-even if it's just a bite. I also record my fluids each day and total up my grams of protein and record my exercise.

Nellybelly2012
on 2/3/13 11:13 am - LA

Wow I can eat 2/3 bites and I fill full. If I eat pass that I get the dumping thing and I hate that so I stop. I love not being able to eat pass the full. Its a mind thing, growing up you had to eat all your food and as adults we took that with us and even if we were full we still ate as not to waste anything. I grew up like that and thats what lead to my being obese. Maybe if you tryt he shakes in between meals and as a snack that might help curb your hunger. I am 1 moth out and I have run out of things to eat so I just make sure I get my fluids in if nothing else.

Good luck it will get better

HW 283/ SW 268/ CW 220/ GW 135  

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 136 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views