I'm scared to be put to sleep.

MeSheHer
on 3/20/13 10:10 pm
RNY on 05/08/13
Surgery is next week, and I am scared to death to be put under. I know it will be well worth it once I awake, but what about before? I'm sure it will get worse once I'm at the hospital. The thought of someone having the ability to put me to sleep scares the **** out of me. So much rins through my mind, like what if I don't wake up? Truth is I'm scared to death! Can't wait to be post op.
ncbrwneyedgurl
on 3/20/13 10:46 pm - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 02/27/13

I had the same fear and I have had surgery before where I was put under but I would just suggest...deep breaths, have confidence in the dr and staff...this is a good thing for you! Get excited...you are changing your life for the better and this is the way to get there. Are you taking someone with you that can help keep you calm? I had my hubby with me and he was able to help me relax and be sweet to me when I had a mini cry session! lol

I will think good thoughts for you and it is all going to be good!

Jennifer in NC (banded 09/08, band removed 11/19/12, approved for RNY 02/14/13, Surgery 2/27/13)

anewbeginning2012
on 3/20/13 11:09 pm - IN
RNY on 10/01/12

I think it is a normal feeling to be scared. Being on the other side, I can say- don't worry Everything will go smoothly and you won't even know you were put under. Also, they can give you something to help calm you, just ask if they don't already mention it. You will wake up and be glad you did this. Good luck on your journey- it is definitely worth it. (afterwards you will wonder why you worried so much- it's definitely a normal feeling)

Kris        
WhoIWantToBe *.
on 3/20/13 11:12 pm
RNY on 01/10/12

The first time I had general anesthesia I literally cried on the way to the hospital. I'd avoided it before that; I even had an epidural instead of a general when I had my hysterectomy. But that time I couldn't avoid it. I did survive, though, and I've survived several generals since then.

It IS scary, but the vast, vast majority of people have no problems with it, and you'll be fine.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

SoCaPinkLady
on 3/20/13 11:13 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

This too was my biggest fear of the whole surgery process. My Dr. Understood my feelings and we talked about it the morning of my surgery. He said he asked the Anesthesiologist to give me something in my IV to help me relax.  I don't remember anything until I woke up in my room after surgery. I was so thrilled that I woke up and didn't mind the pain! 

Lori                               

stlfocus
on 3/20/13 11:13 pm - IA

I got a shot which they said was to relax me, and the next thing I knew I was in the recovery room.  So I never had time to worry about being put to sleep.

kraney
on 3/21/13 12:24 am
On March 21, 2013 at 6:13 AM Pacific Time, stlfocus wrote:

I got a shot which they said was to relax me, and the next thing I knew I was in the recovery room.  So I never had time to worry about being put to sleep.

This is what they did to me as well. I always have those " I may not wake up from this" episodes before surgery. Not that I'm a pro at surgeries. I just kept my hubby with me who kept me distracted and calmed down. Best of luck to you. :)

RNY 3/14/2013 DOS 214, HW 229, CW 188

MichelleNC
on 3/20/13 11:16 pm

Tell the staff your fears they will put something in your IV to calm you. When I had my 1st experience with General I was getting a hernia fixed. I was sitting on the table IV in and waiting for them to take me away it was taking a long time. I was in tears the hernia didn't hurt I was convinced I didn't need surgery. I about ripped the IV out and had to be pushed back onto the table by hubby and a nurse. She injected something in my IV they called the Dr over he was just down the hallway. He held my hand and said it was going to be ok talked to me about the procedure and why I had to have it even if it wasn't hurting. He held my hand as we went into the OR. You will literally be awake one second and out the next it is so fast and when you wake up it feels like time never passed. I haven't even asked my hubby how long I was under for my surgery. It is going to be so worth it you can do this!!!! These people are trained they have 3 anesthesiaologist not sure if I spelled that right LOL with you. One monitoring you at your head, one doing oxygen and one watching the machines. You are well cared for. Know you picked the right hospital and team and enjoy your rest!

Good Luck

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

Kim S.
on 3/20/13 11:18 pm - Helena, AL

This is a very normal feeling.  A few points to consider:

1) The people putting you to sleep do it every single day.  If they had a lot of "slip ups" and were losing patients, they wouldn't be there!

2) The alternative is surgery while you are awake!  THAT would freak you out way more.

3) If you don't wake up, you wont know it!

Put your faith in your surgical team, and if you believe in a higher power, a few prayers wont hurt either.  I promise, you'll feel silly for worrying once you wake up!  And you'll REALLY feel silly when you are reading this a year from now in skinny jeans!

Take a deep breath, everything will be fine laugh

JanBooth
on 3/20/13 11:32 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

Number 3 made me literally LOL! 
I, too, was scared to be put to sleep because I was so afraid that I wouldn't wake up. Then, just that thought came to mind....I wouldn't know it if I didn't!  I think most people have the same thoughts and fears.    

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

Most Active
Recent Topics