6 weeks after surgery and question...How many of you are measuring food?

ImDun
on 4/12/13 8:12 am
RNY on 02/26/13

I have just been eye-balling my food intake.  I have some days when I feel I can barely eat anything and other days where I am getting my protein shake and 3 meals in with no problem (and sometimes a snack).

I haven't lost any weight in a week and wonder if it's bc of that or that I am a light weight and lost 18lbs last month...just wanted some opinions.

Deb

KimKinVA
on 4/12/13 8:50 am
RNY on 11/13/12 with

Hi Deb, I am 5 months post-op as of tomorrow and I am still weighing and measuring my food. I don't trust myself to just guess on my serving sizes as I have always been guilty of portion distortion. Sometimes I'm hungry and sometimes I'm not so I just eat the portion size recommended by my surgeon and dietician (which is 1/4 c. of 2 oz). I was told that at 6 months post-op, I can move up to 1/2 c or 4 oz of food.

Try not to get too discouraged about the pace of your weight loss. You will have periodic plateaus and stalls along the way. Between my 30 day follow up appt and my 2 month appt, I lost zero pounds. I was so discouraged because I follow my surgeon's plan to a "t". But at my 3 month appointment, I had lost 15 pounds! I don't own a scale and don't weigh myself because I'm sure I would obsess with the scale number. I'm trying to focus on following my food/water/vitamin plan, getting in some exercise each day, and just becoming healthier, more mobile and more energetic. The weight loss will come. Hope this helps. Keep your head up and stay positive! 

karenp8
on 4/12/13 9:14 am - Brighton, IL

I am about71/2 months out and still measure all my food when I am at home. If I am out somewhere else I eyeball but at home I measure. I don't trust my ability to judge portions-that's how I got obese. I want to lose my weight as quickly as possible and will follow the rules to get there!

poet_kelly
on 4/12/13 9:30 am - OH

I'm about 4.5 years post op and I still measure most of the time.  I"m not very good at eyeballing it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ktaborelli
on 4/12/13 1:53 pm - Hampton, NJ

How much do you eat at a time?

BWB
on 4/12/13 10:04 am

1 year 7 months out and I have a bowl that holds 1 cup or I use a cup saucer.  A hiccup signals when I am full so that is it, I can't swallow another bite.  I assumed everyone had the same experience.  It works for me.

MrsLitch
on 4/12/13 10:33 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
I measured til about6 mo. At every meal. Now I measure here and there to double check what I'm eyeballing I don't trust my eyes thats how I got fat. I still cant eat what I'm allowed so it's all good now but I know that will change and need to keep myself accountable.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

mysguided_angel
on 4/12/13 12:11 pm - Brampton, Canada

i'm 8 weeks out this week, at the 5 -6 weeks mark i experienced the same problem as you did. i was worried that i was eating too much thats why i didnt lose any weight, but as it turned out, it maybe that you are not eating enough of the proteins or simply not active enough. i regressed to the previous stage for about 2 days and increased my activity level- it worked for me maybe it'll work for you too. at the moment at the 8 weeks mark, i am able to eat 8oz. or 1 cup of salads and soups. eyeballing is fine but just make sure that you are honest to yourself, or just use the same bowl everyday to be more accurate ^^....when i tried eyeballing my portion i found that i kept trying to add on more, so had to nip it on the butt...good luck 

MissK123456789
on 4/12/13 12:16 pm, edited 4/12/13 12:17 pm - PA

I am nine months post op and I do eye ball BUT I do ask for a box when my food is put on the table at restaurants so I can portion BEFORE I start eating.  At home, I use dessert plates and a (true) cup for food.  It is awefully difficult to cheat, even if I wanted to. 

Good luck,

Karen

ImDun
on 4/12/13 12:21 pm
RNY on 02/26/13
I only started exercising two days ago. I was not permitted to because of complications. In hospital 4 day with blood loss and 4 pints of transfusion and the a week later for 9 days with pneumonia. Just had my follow up and chest c-ray and got the all clear. I can also do weight training and start ab work in 2 weeks. I'm training for a 5k for Mother's Day.

So hopefully I'll see the scale move then!

Most Active