Has anyone else had this issue with getting rid of clothing?

Susanb2117
on 3/16/15 12:22 pm

I have been so excited every time I have gone down a size and I have steadily given away and taken my clothes to consignment as they become to large.  However, now I am in sizes on bottom and on top that I have not been in my entire adult life.  It is time to get rid of the size 14 pants and x-large shirts and I am struggling for some reason.  I keep thinking, I should hang onto them in case I regain some and need to go back into this size.  The only thing I can think of is that I have never been in a 12 or size large top (since high school) so I can't comprehend that it will last.  Any advice?  Should I hang onto the clothes or keep getting rid of them with the hope that I won't regain and need them.  I keep thinking this weight loss has to stop at some time.

karenp8
on 3/16/15 12:38 pm - Brighton, IL

I would get rid of them. If you keep them,you make it that much easier for you to regain your weight. I got rid of all the larger sizes and that is my motivation to stay on plan and maintain. I am frugal and will not buy new larger clothes! Just my two cents worth!

Susanb2117
on 3/16/15 12:40 pm

Thanks. Our weights are very close, I set my goal at 140 but in my head it was really 145 but I wanted some "wiggle room."  How long have you maintained your 145 lb weight?

karenp8
on 3/16/15 11:34 pm - Brighton, IL

I got below my goal of 145 also. I have been between 119-122 for about 21 months now. I have been able to maintain even with 3 foot surgeries with exercise limitations for a while each time. I still measure my food when at home and exercise nearly every day. As my husband says--I'm a rule follower!

robinreinhardt
on 3/17/15 4:54 am

Karen,

You rock to be down in weight. Especially for 21 months. Great that you exercise daily. Makes a big difference. I had surgery in 12/14 and can't wait to get this weight off. You inspire me.

Robin

Chilipepper
on 3/16/15 1:11 pm

Dump them.  New life, New clothes, New you!!  Congratulations on your success!

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Atlanta_Forever
on 3/16/15 10:04 pm
VSG on 03/17/14

100% agree with Chili....dump them!

Someone else needs them (and fits into them) and you should have clothes that fit you now. Celebrate your new body!

SkinnyScientist
on 3/16/15 7:15 pm

Zig Ziegler would call your desire to hang onto your clothes "Stinkin' Thinkin'"

YOU are going to stay on plan.

YOU are going to get smaller.

What do you need these bigger clothes cluttering up your closet, mind, and motivation for?  

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Susanb2117
on 3/16/15 11:39 pm

Thank you!  I knew I would get the exact advice I needed here.  It is stinkin thinkin' you are so right.  I just have no faith in myself and even now don't have complete faith in this process. I am going to work on that.

Ocalasam
on 3/16/15 10:27 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

I would get rid of them.  I've never been smaller than a size 11 (juniors) and that was when I was in 9th grade.  I am now a size 2.  I would consider keeping a few pairs of pants that are one size up, but get rid of all of your clothes that are several sizes up.  You don't want to "plan" to be bigger again!!!  I think it makes it easier for you to get off track if you "plan" to have a buffer and "plan" to have bigger clothes.  I am 27 months out and a huge part of my motivation is that I LOVE my clothes.  I would be SO SAD if I couldn't fit into them anymore.  I really enjoy shopping and clothes and wearing trendy things, and it's been so freeing being able to shop wherever I want and buy anything I want.....freeing....and expensive!!!

Most Active