Surgery on May 4th & concerned!! Please answer my question

jackieboy331
on 4/27/15 11:34 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Dear fellow rny'ers,

I am on my 3 week pre-op diet. I am following everything to a T. I am very concerned, because, the weight loss is minimal. Twice in the last 2 weeks I had exactly the same weight 3 days in a row and then dropped a pound or a pound and a half. I always could not lose any weight on a 1600 calorie diet. Now I am having between 800 & 1000 calories of shakes and the losing is minimal at best. I told my surgeon early on that my metabolism is messed up and I won't lose much. I am scared of going through all this and not losing any weight post op. I will feel like a real failure. Please Help. Has anyone experienced this and lost significant weight post op? Please I am petrified. HELP!!!

chulbert
on 4/27/15 11:46 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

You can never expect to lose weight every single day.  Staying the same over the course of a few days is entirely normal.  What matters is the long term.

mornings
on 4/28/15 12:25 am - Canada

Give yourself a break ,    what your having done is a tool ,    now look at this too ,  your on a fluid diet   which means a lot  of fluid  will come off after surgery   not before hand this is done to   loose the fat from your liver ,   its not ment to take tons of weight off  ,    this will help  your stomach as well get used to the change which is the key word change ,  this tool takes  weight off a lot of people but you still have to do the work ,  which  I believe you can do this ,    everyone gets scared that's normal  but remember your doing this for a new healthy you right ,    so  take a break   relax and when this is over with im sure your gonna say this is the best choice ever you do for yourself  ,    it will be nice to hear your success after surgery and you will have success  your not a failure  never think that  always think positive   one year from  today you will look so different  feel so much better and be proud you did this for yourself   stay off the scale I would say  till after surgery  that may help too ...  I had a sleeve done in 2012   I had not much weight loss on a liquid diet  this was explained to me  I too have a low resting metabolism  ,   they told me the diet is for the liver and after surgery  I will loose the fluid and being losing  the weight ,  and it will happen for you too im sure 

SkinnyScientist
on 4/28/15 1:28 am

Hi Jackieboy!

Like you, I had/have a super messed up metabolism. I could literally not eat for a day or two and lose NOTHING to 0.5 lbs.

I also didnt lose anything (or much) when I was in the liquid pre-op phase. If you use the magnifying glass, I am sure my angry posts are still there. I was mad because my body was so good at hanging on to fat, that I needed RNY just for the POSSIBILITY to have any weight loss. I was worried that since I was on the liquids and didnt see any weight lost, the RNY would not work for me.

The vets here assured me that it would. To be honest, I only HALF believed them. There was always this small part that feared it wouldnt really happen for me.

They wheeled me into the OR at 270 lbs.

Now 16 months post op, I look like this (I am the gal on the left)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/photos/album/185001/

Today, I weigh 139 lbs and wear a size 2-6. I started this journey at a size 28-32.

I assure you, it really will work for you. You WILL have to work at it a bit  (I.e. follow the plan, stay away from bad carbs/trigger foods, and MAYBE throw in in some exercise (depending on what you want. I want to look "cut" not skinny...so I lift weights, run and skate). I found that the "bit" of work I needed to put in was so much LESS than any other diet I did.  I behaved correctly and ate right and the weight just sort of kept coming off. This made me super motivated to do even BETTER (e.g. run farther next time) and so I would and would get even more good results.

It is easy to stay on a plan when you get results that correlate to your effort.

You will see.

See you on the other side of surgery!!!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

NYMom222
on 4/28/15 1:31 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I remember right after my surgery I was convinced this was not going to work for me. I went into a 3 1/2 week stall at only one week after surgery. Mu surgeon kept saying "I am not worried, you will lose the weight". You will have a tool after surgery. Is it a steady loss? No usually looks more like going down a flight of steps... lose/stay steady/lose/stay steady. You will alos have the advantage of malabsorption that will help. Don't panic.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

annieliv
on 4/28/15 1:54 am - Toronto, Canada

As was stated by another peer, the pre-op diet is meant to shrink your liver and not be weight loss focused per se.  Reducing a fatty liver provides easier access for surgery.  The better you prepare pre-op, the better and quicker recovery you will have.

Stay focused, it'll be SO WORTH IT!  All the best to you!

HW: 345 SW: 315 GW: 180 RNY 21/Apr/15

karenp8
on 4/28/15 2:14 am - Brighton, IL

I felt just like you before surgery. I had been on diets with little to no results my whole life and was afraid this surgery would not work either. I lost very little on my preop diet and went into surgery weighing 272. Today I weigh 120 pounds. I went from a size 26 to a size 0 or 1 and have been this same weight for two years even with three foot surgeries and limited mobility at those times. I follow my eating plan,stay away from bread,rice and pasta and exercise nearly every day. It is work and involves making wise choices,but if I can do it,you can too. You will now have the tool you need to lose the weight AND to keep it off too.n

jackieboy331
on 4/28/15 3:14 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks to all of you. I do not know what I would do with out you guys. You give me the confidence and courage to continue my fight with the fat demons. Thanks all for being there. It is great to speak to "experienced "losers". Just a joke you guys know what I mean.

SkinnyScientist
on 4/28/15 3:30 am

We are here for you!  Whether it be true encouragement (verified with photos and postings) or a kick in the pants!

:)

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Kathy S.
on 4/28/15 4:07 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Talk to your surgeon about your concerns.  You want to make sure you are ready!  When I had surgery they didn't require all this pre-op losing weight.  After surgery I did great but everyone is different.  Insist on seeing your surgeon before surgery to answer all your questions and put to bed your fears

If you decide to go through surgery  here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views